Starting Classes Tonight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to Scubaboard.

tpb31

Those details do make a difference. Replacing gear or buying a spare of a known item is a prime way to save some $$ online, if the LDS won't match.

Remember to be patient with your wife diving is an adaptation and you have a head start. Odds are her experience of getting hurled under waves as a surfer will make scuba seem like a walk in the park. But be prepared for anything and be as supportive as needed.

Have fun,
Pete

spectrum:
tpb31

Those details do make a difference. Replacing gear or buying a spare of a known item is a prime way to save some $$ online, if the LDS won't match.

Remember to be patient with your wife diving is an adaptation and you have a head start. Odds are her experience of getting hurled under waves as a surfer will make scuba seem like a walk in the park. But be prepared for anything and be as supportive as needed.

Have fun,
Pete

Thanks Pete, as for my wife, she had read the book, watched the videos and when we got into class, she was answering all the questions and seemed to have done more self study than anybody in the class. So I might have to catch up to her. Tonight we do the first pool session and she is really excited. Thanks for the advice though and I will be patient and supportive.

Thomas

Thomas welcome to the board! Be sure to come back to let us know how the pool session went tonight.

For me the pool session was cake. But it was just the basic skills like learning to breath thru the reg. adding and deflating the BC and proper kicking techniques as well as clearing your reg, snorkel and mask. Some of the other students without prior experience had a bit of a hard time learning to breath through a snorkel/reg and use thier mouths, but they caught on. My wife did well, the only part she had trouble with was when we were doing fin pivots to work on bouyancy. But all in all, everybody got the grasp of how to do things and with practice it should all work out.

It was nice brushing up on skills that I haven't used in years though. Even if I did find my cert, I am glad I am doing the class all over again. After all, in ten years, I have only done a handful of dives and forgot somethings. We have another pool session tonight, I will let you all know how that goes.

Well pool session two went off with out a hitch, at least for me. My wife was having some issues with bouyancy control at first, the instructor called it yo-yo diving since she was going up and down a bit. But then she started getting better. Some of the other students not so much. But some were doing great. We all had fun, we were in the pool for 2.5 hours, submerged for at least 45 minutes.

As far as complaints go, one of the assistant instructors would yell at the students, even though the students were following the instructions of the main instructor, so that kind of irked me, Since he was a younger guy, maybe it made him feel tough to yell at older guys. Then on top of that, he wasn't paying attention to where he was when in the water, he must have kicked everybody in the head, including the main instructor numerous times just because he wasn't paying attention. It gave some of us practice putting our masks back on and clearing, but it was annoying that he kept doing that. I expected that the newer students would have issues with it, but not an instructor, especially one that was yelling at people.../rant

tpb31:
, Since he was a younger guy, maybe it made him feel tough to yell at older guys. Then on top of that, he wasn't paying attention to where he was when in the water, he must have kicked everybody in the head, including the main instructor numerous times just because he wasn't paying attention. It gave some of us practice putting our masks back on and clearing, but it was annoying that he kept doing that.

Who said harassment training is a thing of the past.:11: You mean he didn't turn anyone's air off?:shakehead:

I wouldn't give a second thought to your wifes bupoyancy control as you describe it. As long as she understands the underlyng principals it will all come easier with experience in open water. Experience is the key.

Pete

spectrum:
Who said harassment training is a thing of the past.:11: You mean he didn't turn anyone's air off?:shakehead:

I wouldn't give a second thought to your wifes bupoyancy control as you describe it. As long as she understands the underlyng principals it will all come easier with experience in open water. Experience is the key.

Pete

So you are saying it is a hazing/initiation into the world of SCUBA??? Either way, it's cool, I am just excited that in about a week and a half, as long as both my wife and I do well in the next two pool sessions, we get to do an ocean dive.

Well one thing she was talking with the instructor about after the class was that when she was swimming, she couldn't deflate her BC easily, at one point she thought it was empty but she was still ascending. He told her if she has that issue again, not to stay horizontal, but to move vertical and the BC might be easer to deflate, since the air might be gettin trapped under her arms or what not. She and I are both confident that no matter what the issue is, she willbe able to over come it with experience.

Sounds like you are having fun which is the main idea. As to being able to dump air while horizontal just show her the rear dump valve at the bottom of her BC on the right and or the one on her right shoulder.
These will make it easier for her to keep her buoyancy and still remain horizontal.

MurkyRockDiver:
Sounds like you are having fun which is the main idea. As to being able to dump air while horizontal just show her the rear dump valve at the bottom of her BC on the right and or the one on her right shoulder.
These will make it easier for her to keep her buoyancy and still remain horizontal.

The instructor actually went to show her the rear dump valve on the bottom of her BC only to be surprised that the BC she was using didn't have one. The good thing is, the insturctor said he would replace the BC with a different one that did have a rear dump valve. As for the on on her shoulder, she said it wasn't letting anymore air out either. I also suggested to her to use her elbows to squeeze her BC a little which might push some air out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom