Starting from scratch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can tell you how I've been going about the transition to a DIR compliant rig.

- First I bought a Cressi BCD, was nice; then sold it and bought a back inflate BCD, a little better; sold that and bought a Dive Rite Aluminum Backplate and Oxycheq Wing, Wing went back with issues and bought d-rings as the oxycheq kit didn't have bent ones; bought a Halcyon Eclipse set up, all there and in the right place with all the little details taken care of, good buckle, good hardware, high quality stitched in America wing and good backplate.

Needless to say this journey cost me a fair bit of money and if I could do it all over again I would have just gone straight to the Halcyon gear (though I'm sure DSS will be equally good and also stitched in the States I believe).

I was lucky enough to make a decent reg decision (scubapro MK11/S600) but think an Apeks DS4 w/ ATX 50's would have been a less expensive alternative with equal performance. Also save some money buy buying a cheap Brass and Glass SPG and bottom timer rather than a computer.

Above all else, go diving and have fun! It's nice to have all your own gear but ok to accumulate as you get experience. Have fun!

as far as regs goes, i've been using atomics Z-2s for backgas. didn't see any need for the B2, M1, or especially T2.

as far as pockets go, on my wetsuit i glued pockets on. did that before cave1, did the course plus another trip with 22 dives and they're still fine. the trick is the kind of glue used (unfortunately i don't know the name, its a black tin with a brush applicator in the cap) and to prep the wetsuit and the pockets twice with liberal amounts of glue.

as far as regs goes, i've been using atomics Z-2s for backgas. didn't see any need for the B2, M1, or especially T2.

as far as pockets go, on my wetsuit i glued pockets on. did that before cave1, did the course plus another trip with 22 dives and they're still fine. the trick is the kind of glue used (unfortunately i don't know the name, its a black tin with a brush applicator in the cap) and to prep the wetsuit and the pockets twice with liberal amounts of glue.

Pretty sure it is the black seal cement. If you follow the application instructions from Halcyon it will last longer than the useful life of a wetsuit. My only changes is I put the glue on the whole pocket rather than just the perimiter. For drysuits, I prefer stitched and glued.

Pretty sure it is the black seal cement. If you follow the application instructions from Halcyon it will last longer than the useful life of a wetsuit. My only changes is I put the glue on the whole pocket rather than just the perimiter. For drysuits, I prefer stitched and glued.

Might be the same stuff, but the stuff I used wasn't branded by Aquaseal. I never saw the Halcyon instructions, so I did the whole thing. I think I used 2 containers of it.

Hey Lurker dude! I dont know if your still checking the thread out but here's my bit. I did exactly what jimmytaroh did in how he bought his gear, except I cant seem to part with my Zeagle brigade bc. I bought Zeagle Flathead V1 regs. Tusa split fins, virtually eliminated my cramping issue. I bought a ton of stuff I regret. Your very fortunate to have someone like wreckchic to help guide you through this time of startup. My regs are set up longhose configuration as I like this set up for rescue/OOA.(out of air). I dive now with people that use the backplate/wing style.(BP/W). I know I am swinging to bp/w style. It's just the fact I spent so much money prior that holds me back from getting more gear. I am edging to tech. The money I spent on my Zeagle gear could have easily set me up in good bp/w gear config. Money really isnt the issue, my pride is at stake. I'm tempted to leave my gear in my suburaban with the doors unlocked near a pawn shop so it wont hurt so bad to buy the new setup. As you are a new diver, your zeal to get all kited up is never going to wane until you have it, but pal jet down for awhile get your dive sense really established first, I did not know that the lds here would lend me the gear that I want now so I could get the sense of what worked for me. Now I do. I learn a lot about gear on these forums. Most importantly I learned a lot about me. You are very fortunate to have a mentor in diving like wreckchic, someone near to get solid answers from, what I like the most is she is transparent enough to say "lets go see what others have to say" instead of trying to give you the "this is the way you have to go line". The people that taught me originally I really like and respect. But what they sell is not the way I want to dive today. I did not know that the dive world was so vast in gear. It got overwhelming for me. So right now the new divers I get to dive with thinks I'm a tech diver because to them at first glance it does, to the dir boys they spit on me. Do I care no. My kit right now at this very moment I love and know very well. I will be transitioning to bp/w in the next year. This whole blather is meant to say I know now what I want because of my experience with what I dont want. I have not worn a bp/w yet maybe I wont like it.
By the way I like the idea of these x-shorts, I am worried that if I sew on a bag to the side of my Pinnacle 3mil that they will stretch. By the way Racheal you DO NOT need to explain yourself, you are always very clear as far as I'm concerned. Just like me I need to clarify sometimes. Must of had too much coffee this morning, good diving to ya effone. kev

To each and everyone who has contributed to this thread, a very sincere, "THANK YOU!"

When I first ran across this thread (looking for some of wreckchick's previous posts to glean info. last Tuesday) I had no idea what DIR is/was (Diving In Ruins? Demanding Instantaneous Regulators? Dancing In wRecks? WTH?). Just because I'm old doesn't mean I'm fast; and after hopping back here and researching on the 'net when I've had the time; I understand. The theories, concepts, practices and equipment make sense and this is a road (current?) I'm going to pursue. I may not wind-up "100% DIR" equipment-wise (those X-shorts scare me, and combined with my mustache I'd look like a Village People reject) but I'm definately on-board. Again, thank you all!

The biggest Thank you goes out to wreckchick; and I hope we run into each other this weekend (now I have more newbie questions...).

Regards.

Well, as RTodd pointed out to you, X-shorts aren't really DIR, anyway :)

Well then I suppose I'm just a stroke. :D

Well then I suppose I'm just a stroke. :D

Who knows right, only your mom knows. THIS thread was for EffOne.:no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom