Starting from scratch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squeaky wheel gotten the grease yet?

Not really ... I ended up getting a pair of Intova lights instead.

They suck ... but I'm tired of dealing with it. I'll use 'em for camping.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Money IS an object

Thus Titanium regs are out. They offer no benefits and potential liabilities* at an additional cost.

Supporting the "little guys-and gals" with big ideas is all well and good, but don't reward them with extra money for simply offering a product that costs more.

*I'm far from convinced about combustible first stages.

I honestly don't get the fuss about the X-shorts. Nickel-rocketing, as I understand it, is making a less-than-optimal choice to save a little money. I have yet to figure out what is less than optimal about X-shorts. The pockets are large and capacious and well-secured to the shorts. The shorts are easy to put on. They do not impede my functioning in any way underwater. They are not an entanglement hazard or a streamlining problem. They make it efficient to transfer safety gear from one wetsuit to another.

Other than looking funny, what do you guys think is WRONG with them?

Other than being a clear Rule 6 Violation? :) I don't know if anything is wrong with them, that is up until my wife asks me if they make her legs look wider............Then they are a matter of life and death............

The reg kept shifting in my mouth, and head-turning to the left is a bit restricted, just like with the rental regs. I was leaning toward Atomic (Z2X or B2 & SS1) as I do appreciate technology but I also appreciate keeping things simple. The swivels, Ti, seat saver etc. are all appealing, along with the company's founder's histories (I like supporting the "little guys-and gals" with big ideas) and haven't been very impressed with the big, old-timer companies out there. But I remain open.

If you really think you're going down the tech path in the next few years, forget about the jacket BC, SS1 backup reg, and all of that crap that they sell at the local recreational shop. Read this: http://www.gue.com/?q=en/Equipment/Config/index.html . Don't worry about the specific brands, but model your equipment configuration after what you see here. Once you understand this set up, don't buy anything yet...ask more questions. The right style of equipment is much more important than the particular brand or model. Then when you buy, you'll be buying the RIGHT stuff the first time!

Stick with these basics: BP/wing, long hose primary reg, bungeed back up around the neck, spg on a short hose and clipped off, etc.

It may not look like what your are seeing around you, but it is the set up of choice for the tech community. If you do anything else, chances are you'll just be trying to sell it used and buying this the second time around...like many of us.

Learn from everyone else's mistakes. You're getting good advice from the people here, listen to it.

Lee

Holy Crap, ask divers what gear to buy, and you get 34 posts in one day!

I would just suggest you take a look at someone you know who you would like to dive like in five years, and then avoid buying stuff that won't be useful to that person. IE, if you want a reg, make sure you can use it for either backgas or a deco bottle when the time comes. If you want a computer get something with a good guage mode (or only a guage mode.)

Just for the record, EffOne is a student who recently completed his training through our shop and we started talking about gear and his diving goals. I dive a DIR compliant rig and was discussing it's virtues with him but since I haven't been paying much attention to the latest and greatest DIR gear trends. Before I made any solid recommendations, I thought I'd ask you all so I wouldn't look like a buffoon.

R

Just for the record, EffOne is a student who recently completed his training through our shop and we started talking about gear and his diving goals. I dive a DIR compliant rig and was discussing it's virtues with him but since I haven't been paying much attention to the latest and greatest DIR gear trends. Before I made any solid recommendations, I thought I'd ask you all so I wouldn't look like a buffoon.

R
DIR-compliant gear hasn't changed all that much since I first became aware of it in 2001. Some of the brands have changed, but that's primarily due to the fact that more companies are now making DIR-compliant gear. For example (at least locally), Atomic regs have replaced ScubaPro and Apeks as the preferred DIR reg ... but the latter are still quite acceptable, and work just fine. You'll see more Oxycheq and DSS rigs ... but neither of those existed in 2001. You'll see Salvo lights and reels about as often as Halcyon ... but functionally you can't tell the difference.

I think as long as you follow the equipment guidelines described in the GUE website and literature you pretty much can't go wrong.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DIR-compliant gear hasn't changed all that much since I first became aware of it in 2001. Some of the brands have changed, but that's primarily due to the fact that more companies are now making DIR-compliant gear. For example (at least locally), Atomic regs have replaced ScubaPro and Apeks as the preferred DIR reg ... but the latter are still quite acceptable, and work just fine. You'll see more Oxycheq and DSS rigs ... but neither of those existed in 2001. You'll see Salvo lights and reels about as often as Halcyon ... but functionally you can't tell the difference.

I think as long as you follow the equipment guidelines described in the GUE website and literature you pretty much can't go wrong.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And like Henry Ford said, "you can have any colour you want, as long as it's black".......:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom