Status of GUE OW Certification Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took fundies with mark, couple of weeks ago. I have friends interested in scuba, and asked about the GUE-OW-F, and mark said he would run one, but it would be quite long, he wants to run one as a beta.

If you look at the GUE course standards for the OW class; You can take the OW class and go straight to cave 1 or tech 1 after a 100 dives. Based on this, I would assume (A S S*U*ME??) that GUE would teach minimum deco with depth averaging

I presume that the class will have a ~60ft certification limit since you won't have enough experience to plan/execute dives to 100ft. That would be the pervue of rec-triox anyway. So with a 60ft limit you've got a pause at 40ft and 1min stops at 30,20,10.

They aren't going to be doing 15ft safety stops for 3 mins. :)

Ratio deco is not formally part of GUE's curriculum - not even at the Tech1 level.

Charlie99:
Does anybody know when GUE will start training new divers?

After some tangents in another thread I got to wondering what GUE will teach new divers for decompression planning.

Has anybody seen the OW (or whatever GUE has decided to call their initial certification course) training material and can say whether they teach depth averaging / ratio deco / deco on the fly from the beginning?

TIA,

Charlie Allen

The GUE OW class is available now. You get a Nitrox cert with it and it teaches you up to the roughly same level as a Fundies course. There are 2 levels, after which you can go into Tech1

You can see a brief description of the OW class (officially known as the GUE Recreational Level 1 Diver course) in the GUE General Training Standards, Policies and Procedure (section 2.0 - 2.1.1.10, pages 12-14).

http://www.gue.com/Training/Standards/index.html

The training manual is called Submerged, Mastering the Art and Science of Scuba Diving.

The original plan was to rename RecTriOx as GUE Recreational Level 2 Diver, with DIR-F (renamed GUE Fundamentals) slotting in betweeen...

The GUE OW course is not available yet. There are no offerings in the current online GUE Course Schedule.

EDIT: I just spoke to Gideon Liew via instant messaging (April 03, 2007) - I quote:

"Last I heard from Jarrod, he is targeting end of this year to finally launch this. Lot of work has gone into it so you will not have heard the last of it."

Vie:
You can see a brief description of the OW class (officially known as the GUE Recreational Level 1 Diver course) in the GUE General Training Standards, Policies and Procedure (section 2.0 - 2.1.1.10, pages 12-14).

http://www.gue.com/Training/Standards/index.html

The training manual is called Submerge, Mastering the Art and Science of Scuba Diving.

The original plan was to rename RecTriOx as GUE Recreational Level 2 Diver, with DIR-F (renamed GUE Fundamentals) slotting in betweeen...

The GUE OW course is not available yet. There are no offerings in the current online GUE Course Schedule.

EDIT: I just spoke to Gideon Liew via instant messaging (April 03, 2007) - I quote:

"Last I heard from Jarrod, he is targeting end of this year to finally launch this. Lot of work has gone into it so you will not have heard the last of it."

Strange - One of the GUE instructors I work with has already conducted an OW class and is expecting more courses to happen in the summer. I will check with GUE for confirmation

I'm looking forward to seeing the course manual, "Submerged".

Here's a nicely written excerpt on decompression theory:

EE Dec '05 Newletter:
Excerpt from Submerged, the new manual for recreational
diving from Global Underwater Explorers.

When gas is breathed under pressure, inert gas such
as nitrogen and helium diffuse into various tissues of
the body. This inert gas uptake by the body occurs at
different rates for the various tissues. It continues as
long as the partial pressure of the inspired gas in the
circulatory and respiratory systems are higher than
the partial pressure of the gas absorbed in the tissues.
Inert gas absorption increases as the partial pressure
of the inspired gas increases, such as with increased
depth. Inert gas absorption also increases as the
duration of the exposure increases, until tissues become
saturated.
As a diver ascends, the process is reversed. The partial
pressure of inert gas in the tissues comes to exceed
that in the circulatory and respiratory systems.
During ascent, the gas diffuses from the tissues to the
lungs. The rate of ascent must be carefully controlled
to prevent the gas pressure from exceeding the ambient
pressure by too great of an amount. If the pressure
gradient is uncontrolled, bubbles of inert gas can
form in tissues and blood, causing decompression
illness.
To reduce the possibility of decompression illness,
special decompression tables and schedules were
developed. These schedules take into consideration
the amount of inert gas absorbed by the body at various
depths and times. Other considerations are the
allowable pressure gradients that can exist without
excessive bubble formation and the different gas elimination
rates associated with various body tissues.
Staged decompression requires decompression stops
in the water at various depths for specific periods of
time.
Years of scientific study, calculations, animal and
human experimentation, and extensive field experience
all contributed to the decompression tables. While
the tables contain the best information available, the
tables tend to be less accurate as dive depth and time
increase.

Submerged will be available on or before February 15, 2006. Please
email info@gue.com for more information.

Chris at Silent World:
One of the GUE instructors I work with has already conducted an OW class and is expecting more courses to happen in the summer.

Please let us know who the instructor is so I can check too. If I remeber correctly (as was mentioned by amascuba), there was a GUE OW workshop conducted during a GUE conference...

Nothing on the GUE website...

Otter:
Nothing on the GUE website...
Nor has there been any response to my e-mail to GUE over 2 weeks ago, inquiring about the OW course and course materials.

Does anybody know the status of the course, and the expected availability of "Submerged" ?

Charlie Allen

My 4/2/07 e-mail to GUE:
I note in the training standards pdf that the required training materials
for the Recreational Level 1 course is the book "Submerged: Mastering the
Art and Science of Scuba Diving. Global Underwater Explorers, 2006"

I don't see this book listed under the products section of your website. Is
it available? If not, what is the estimated availability date?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom