Staying at Cozumel Palace May 22-29, who to dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.Bigg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I am new to the SB board. I've seen some descriptions of cozumel dive outfits but I was hoping I could get an individual recommendation or two. I am going to be by myself (the wife doesn't dive), and staying at Cozumel Palace. Looking to get in a two tank dive, maybe a night dive, maybe another two tank dive while I am there (different days).

I plan on just calling around once I get there since I am so short on time anyways. So here is my wishlist:

1. Get on a boat short notice(less than a week).
2. I'll need a BC and reg. Preferably a reg with a dive computer if possible, otherwise I can dive tables.
3. Pick up at Cozumel Palace Dock.
4. Great Diving.

Little about me if it matters: Only an occasional diver, but got my advanced cert through a great program and am very comfortable. I enjoy rays, eels, crabs, sharks. Prefer smaller outfits, but not a big deal either way.

I've already been steered away from Aqua World, the cattle car outfit at Cozumel Palace.

I highly recommend Advanced Divers. You will need to take a cab to Caleta Harbor, but that is not a problem. They have good rental equipment. Your wife would be welcome to come along as well. The thing I like about them is that there is shade on the boat or sun whichever you prefer. They serve a great lunch during the SI. They leave around 9 am and get back around 3 pm. The length of your dive is determined by your air usage. We have had dives up to 96 minutes. They are simply the best!!

I've only tried a half dozen of the hundred dive ops on Cozumel (Aldora, Living Underwater, Dive with Martin, Dressel and Blue XT Sea), but Aldora Divers stood so far above the others I've tried and left so little to be desired that I pretty much quit looking. Steel 120 cuft tanks instead of the standard aluminum 80cuft means longer dives whether with beginners or experienced divers. The majority of our dives with them have exceeded 90 minutes without staying shallow. They will pick you up at your dock, take you to a surface interval at a beach club and drop you back off feeling like you've been pampered all day, and with each tank having 50% more air in it...two dives can easily equal three on the smaller tanks. Their DM's are great people and their boats are excellent. I can't recommend them enough. Sherief is my favorite DM at Aldora because he loves to dive long...but Mateo is also a fountain of knowledge.

Honorable mention to Jeremy at Living Underwater. He also uses steel 120's and is a DM/Instructor who is a pleasure to spend time diving with, but he's a one boat operation so if you are in the boat with first timers...your dive time will be affected. The same can happen anywhere, but Aldora has 8 boats or so and they do a good job of splitting groups by experience level where possible.

If you are looking to spend less than steel tank prices, Dive with Martin is a fantastic aluminum tank operation. Plenty of boats to split experience levels into and bang for the buck...they are difficult to beat.

Enjoy your trip! You really will have a difficult time finding any dive op you will not enjoy. There are MANY good ones.

Last edited:
Hi Bigg, Obviously you will get everyone's favorite when you ask that question, but at least you outlined what was important to you. I have been diving with several, and can tell you Blue Magic is my favorite. Short notice is probably fine, they have 3 or 4 boats; I know that computers come standard with equipment (no xtra charge) because my friend needed one; they do pick up at the Palace; and the diving is great, they took me places I've never seen before. The DMs are fun too. I'm going back next month (for the 4th time I think, maybe 5 by now) and bringing another friend to get certified with them. Just email Joyce (the owner) at joyce@bluemagicscuba.com Blue Magic Scuba Shop, scuba diving cozumel, Dive Packages, Scuba Lessons I know you'll have a great time! Enjoy Cozumel, you'll get hooked, no doubt!

As you can see, Cozumel regulars all have their favorite dive op. Honestly, you cannot go wrong with just about any dive op in all of Cozumel. I have dove with only a few of the many on the island. Like the others, I have a favorite as well. We use Rita at Albatros Charters (Cozumel - Mexico - Albatros Charters) We like the small boat, great service and the flexibility they offer. We have used them for the majority of our diving for the past 8 years. Rita also has a fishing boat as well and we fish with them as well. They are located Puerto de Abrigo north of town so the Palace is on the way to the southern dive sites. Whoever you decide to dive with, I am sure you will have an incredible time!

i have been a coz regular for 20yrs. tried 5 ops before finding aldora. they have earned my loyalty. 1st class.

Hi Give Opal an email at Scubamaucozumel. I dont know how many times we've picked up divers from the palace. Just lots. Fast boats, great gear, snacks with beach SI. Too much fun. Big tanks if you want. Really great people, that will give great prices also. Maybe I will see you on the boat. I am diving the 28th.
Whomever you dive with, I am sure you will have fun. Enjoy coz. The people are the best! kevin

Hi Give Opal an email at Scubamaucozumel. I dont know how many times we've picked up divers from the palace. Just lots. Fast boats, great gear, snacks with beach SI. Too much fun. Big tanks if you want. Really great people, that will give great prices also. Maybe I will see you on the boat. I am diving the 28th.
Whomever you dive with, I am sure you will have fun. Enjoy coz. The people are the best! kevin

I heard good things about scuba mau. Do you happen to know about the dive computer situation, whether their regs have them?

Hi Bigg, Obviously you will get everyone's favorite when you ask that question, but at least you outlined what was important to you. I have been diving with several, and can tell you Blue Magic is my favorite. Short notice is probably fine, they have 3 or 4 boats; I know that computers come standard with equipment (no xtra charge) because my friend needed one; they do pick up at the Palace; and the diving is great, they took me places I've never seen before. The DMs are fun too. I'm going back next month (for the 4th time I think, maybe 5 by now) and bringing another friend to get certified with them. Just email Joyce (the owner) at I know you'll have a great time! Enjoy Cozumel, you'll get hooked, no doubt!

Great info, thanks! They do appear to be a few miles south of Palace, I'll have to give them a call and make sure they don't mind coming and picking up just 1 person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom