Staying at Iberostar - Want to dive Colombia Reef & Santa Rosa Wall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at the Iberostar this April and I dove mornings with Tres Pelicanos and afternoons with Dressel.

First I will say is that the Dressel bashing is unwarranted particularly from people that have likely never stayed at the resort or are competitors. People can have opinions but now I am starting to see dubious advice given. This forum is very hostile towards Dressel. If you actual dove with Dressel and chatted with the repeat visitors, you would find people that have dove with all the ops that were recommended in this thread but for various reasons have come back to Dressel.

Second I will say that diving with both ops, while staying at the Iberostar, has pros/cons for diving with both ops. I dove with both ops for various reasons in order to take advantage of the pros both offer. If you don't think Dressel has any pros you are being closed-minded.

Lastly, and I will admit this is atypical because I have visited Iberostar/Dressel before, they are more flexible than this forum would have you believe. On my last dive as we were walking off the boat, we bumped into our favorite DM who we did not get to dive with. He immediately said no way one more dive with me. We said we were done AND didnt want to go to the site they were headed too. He asked where we wanted to go, I named a site they never go on their schedule. Guess what, we went. With a group of 6...

I dove this same non-scheduled site with Dressel on my previous trip...and it wasnt me that asked.

So let's stop the Dressel bashing because it's unprofessional and its triggering my fairness gene to defend them when I see dubious claims being made against them.

With all due respect, since I am the only dive shop posting in this thread, please kindly point out where I have "bashed" Dressel. For the record, we have a completely different business model, so they are not my competition.

I have posted only factual information, no personal opinions about them. There is a difference.

I was at the Iberostar this April and I dove mornings with Tres Pelicanos and afternoons with Dressel.

First I will say is that the Dressel bashing is unwarranted particularly from people that have likely never stayed at the resort or are competitors. People can have opinions but now I am starting to see dubious advice given. This forum is very hostile towards Dressel. If you actual dove with Dressel and chatted with the repeat visitors, you would find people that have dove with all the ops that were recommended in this thread but for various reasons have come back to Dressel.

Second I will say that diving with both ops, while staying at the Iberostar, has pros/cons for diving with both ops. I dove with both ops for various reasons in order to take advantage of the pros both offer. If you don't think Dressel has any pros you are being closed-minded.

Lastly, and I will admit this is atypical because I have visited Iberostar/Dressel before, they are more flexible than this forum would have you believe. On my last dive as we were walking off the boat, we bumped into our favorite DM who we did not get to dive with. He immediately said no way one more dive with me. We said we were done AND didnt want to go to the site they were headed too. He asked where we wanted to go, I named a site they never go on their schedule. Guess what, we went. With a group of 6...

I dove this same non-scheduled site with Dressel on my previous trip...and it wasnt me that asked.

So let's stop the Dressel bashing because it's unprofessional and its triggering my fairness gene to defend them when I see dubious claims being made against them.
A couple of things...

That's a pretty broad brush you are using when you say that this forum is "very hostile toward Dressel". I think the vast majority of us have not posted any opinion of them at all; I know I haven't because I know virtually nothing about them, and I think that's more the norm.

Also, we are all free to post our opinions here, same as you, and when people disagree with you, that's just the way it is. I don't know what you mean when you call it "unprofessional" to criticize Dressel; we are for the most part not professional divers. Those of us who are... well, we've already heard from Christi and she can speak for herself.

True, some folks don't like Dressel and they say so. Others do, and they say so as well. It's no big deal.

I just checked the Dressel schedule from the first page and they do go to Santa Rosa and Columbia more than once per week. Based upon their set schedule, they may be your best option.

I will continue to bash them for:

1) Not using local DM's and importing them
2) Diving a schedule on cattle boats
3) The way that the IB/Dressel make it very very very hard for other operators to pick up divers at that hotel, thus trying to divert as many of their guests to Dressel

I could go on but I dont care to. Sing their praises all you like, I will bash them till they quit trying to steer everyone to the onsite op.

I will continue to bash them for:

1) Not using local DM's and importing them
2) Diving a schedule on cattle boats
3) The way that the IB/Dressel make it very very very hard for other operators to pick up divers at that hotel, thus trying to divert as many of their guests to Dressel

I could go on but I dont care to. Sing their praises all you like, I will bash them till they quit trying to steer everyone to the onsite op.
It's their business plan and of course they can run their operation any way they want. We as customers are free to stay and dive with anyone we want. It's not bashing to tell it like it is as long as the information is factual.

DSFDF. Some people prefer the Iberostar and Dressel experience (I don't). It's not as if everyone who goes there hates it. I don't get what the controversy is.

I can say I've dove with Dressel many years ago & many of the popular shops that get mentioned regularly here but not all of them. I have dove with Blue XT Sea & will in the future & Christi is right in saying her op is a totally different business model. Dressel didn't follow the board shown schedule all that closely but I had a very good experience using them with one important exception. I had enough experience I was always grouped with advanced divers (in the mornings) & we basically dove our tanks / computer HOWEVER afternoon dives were timed because the DM's that led them had also worked the mornings. Afternoon dives were at the shallower sites (no complaints about that) during my stays and were limited to 30 minutes & then do a safety stop & get back on the boat. They cost the same as morning dives but you sure didn't get the same value in bottom time.

. Afternoon dives were at the shallower sites (no complaints about that) during my stays and were limited to 30 minutes & then do a safety stop & get back on the boat. They cost the same as morning dives but you sure didn't get the same value in bottom time.

30 minutes at a shallow site? That seems backwards. Did you all get mini-tanks?

30 minutes is a really short dive. I, personally, get cold at about an hour, so I don't want much more than that anyway- but 30 minutes? Ugh.

I dive with Dressel regularly. I also have done dives with other outfits.

When I go to Cozumel. I want my activity just slightly more than when on a liveaboard. Iberostar/Dressel fits my needs perfectly. I rarely go offsite opting to spend the non-diving time practicing my sloth poses and 12 oz curls.

They do pay attention to your highest level cert and number of dives. I have seen some of the guides with cheat sheets in their hands prior to the dives.

Biggest downside to Dressel is the group sizes. More opportunity to scare off wildlife. Goes with the territory I suppose.

However, I've had some amazing experiences and citings with them.

Surrender to the flow is my advice. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom