Staying in Cancun need diving info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

My wife and I are both PADI AOW and just booked a long weekend in Cancun for my 50th birthday.:bday: Neither of us have ever been to Cancun before, so we have a few newbie questions.

How pedestrian friendly is the Hotel Zone? How far is Mayan Aqua Dive from the Holiday Inn Arenas? Is it walkable? Cab? Bus? Pickup?

We fly in Friday morning and fly back out Tuesday morning, so that gives us Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday that we can dive. We won't be diving all of those times since we've got a lot of drinking and eating to do to make the AI pay off.:coke: Which day(s) would be best? Any chance of a wreck dive on the weekend?

What are the water conditions generally like in mid-July?

How big a pain :smileysto is the Cancun airport? Is getting checked luggage a bigger hassle then going 100% carry on? If we bring our bcs and regs (which would save us $6.00 a dive), we'll have to check a bag, if not we won't.

I'm sure there are other questions I'll come up with in the next 2 months, but that's enough for now.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Getting around in Cancun is a breeze there are public buses that run around the clock and are cheap and plentiful. The Airport is also a breeze as far as getting you checked in luggage. The one part about the Airport is all the timeshare coyotes, they will attack you without mercy, just ignore them, and walk outside. A prearranged transport to your hotel is a good way to go. If you like some fine dinning, Wednesday at the Ritz Carlton they have a Mexican buffet that is out of this world, and on Friday their seafood buffet is to die for. I really like Cancun and the diving there, don't miss the wrecks, very cool. As for water temps, a 3 mil full will be good, maybe even a shorty, depends on you. And for some good snorkeling, right off the beach of Club Med is the start of the second largest reef in the world, Punta Nizuc. You can get to it by going through Club Regina and a short walk along the beach, but I warn you, there are plenty of topless senorita sun bathers, so watch out. :D Happy 50th, I still have a couple of years to go, but may do like you, and spend it in Cancun, one of our timeshare locations is the Club Regina Cancun.

Happy Half Century!! Good luck with the second half...:D I'm already past that part...

I agree with what David said. When you clear the customs area, stay to the far right. None of those folks are from the tourism department.

You'll need to check out the La Placitas down town. They have fantastic pate and home-made rolls, and you have to try the Mayan coffee at least one time.

I usually take my BP/W, regs, computer, fins, mask and light. If you bring you own stuff, carry your regs and computers and masks as carry on. However, Ben has all new Mares stuff to rent, and at a good price as well. I used to think a 3 mil full in Cancun was for wussies, until last August and the water was 76 degrees. It was the same temp as the local quarry I dive up here!!

You'll have a great time. I've only missed 2005, and Wilma hit two weeks before our vacation.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Definitely looking forward to the trip.

Thanks for the birthday wishes too.

IF you get a chance head down south of Playa del Carmen. I am hitting Akumal in 2 days...and cant wait...i dont think they have caipriñas, but the marg's are fantastic!!

Blue seas!

Spratman - why are you saying to carry your gear on?

There are 6 of us going in two weeks. We are all going with Ben! 3 of us diving and 3 snorkeling. So we will have 6 sets of fins, snorkel and masks (and a few other odds and ends)...we were planning on checking it.

bgsnmky:
Spratman - why are you saying to carry your gear on?

There are 6 of us going in two weeks. We are all going with Ben! 3 of us diving and 3 snorkeling. So we will have 6 sets of fins, snorkel and masks (and a few other odds and ends)...we were planning on checking it.

Spratman:
If you bring you own stuff, carry your regs and computers and masks as carry on.

I was just saying that the most expensive items should be carry on, not to carry on everything. If you aren't taking any of the above then check it. I carry my mask on board, as well as, my regs and computer, because I don't want to hassle with rental equipment and if my luggage gets misplaced, I can still dive until it shows up.

However, going back to a BC would be interesting.

Sorry for the confusion.

I had an opportunity to stay in Cancun last week, and did some diving with Ben's boat captain at Mayan Aqua Divers (Ben was not able to dive with me that day, as he was with a group observing whale sharks). He was outstanding, and the diving in Cancun is very good. Many reefs just off of the Hotel Zone, and the wildlife is diverse. Cozumel diving from Cancun requires a whole day, due to bus/van and ferry travel. Another option is diving the cenotes, which are closer to Cancun and don't require cave diving expertise.

I'll be there with some folks from DC on alomst the same dates as the first post on this thread, staying in the same area (a little farther down the hotel zone, Oct 5 - 9). Let me know if you set up a good dive agenda, and welcome others jumping in :) BTW, to steal your thread for a minute, I could use a hotel roomie at an all-inclusive if any women are interested - great price. PM me.

Back
Top Bottom