steel /aluminum mark on tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that!

Are those DOT spec tanks? if so I'd love to know the numbers on them.

Most sources say that there has never been a DOT-legal round bottomed alu scuba tank, and that the only ones ever made were some very early Navy UDT ones Being tube formed, with spun welded bottoms, they can develop leaks, and were never sold to the public though some have turned up surplus.

Not quite true. Buddy of mine has some ancient Al90's with round bottoms.
Probably fair to say that 99.9999% of flat bottomed tanks are Al.

Are those DOT spec tanks? if so I'd love to know the numbers on them.

Most sources say that there has never been a DOT-legal round bottomed alu scuba tank, and that the only ones ever made were some very early Navy UDT ones Being tube formed, with spun welded bottoms, they can develop leaks, and were never sold to the public though some have turned up surplus.

I have to agree that the only round bottom aluminum tanks are the Navy 90 cu/ft cylinders. I have two of them and FYI the bottom is plugged not welded. Mine were made in 1967, are in great shape, passed hydro with flying colors last year. They are what I am using in my avator photo.

he he! I was right! they didnt look under the boot. :rofl3: So pretty sure its a steel but if anyone can make sense of the numbers it would still be useful.
8A191 0208302 2A187 7A986

al or steel who will fill it with those markings???

Might be for the best that it was sold to someone else. I'm not sure I would buy a tank, or any scuba gear for that matter, from anyone who doesn't appear to have a clue about what the gear is. You have no idea what the history of the gear is, and even worse you have no idea if it was properly stored, treated, maintained, etc. For all you know that tank was stored empty with the valve all the way open for the last 10 years.

Just bought some ancient gear and empty tanks from someone that knew nothing about it.
For this reason generally it comes cheap.
Gear was ready to dive. Tanks passed hydro.
MINT.

The only prerequisite is for the buyer to bring the brain.

Yeah, I agree with knowone. I like buying gear from people who don't know what they have... its easy to cut a deal. Bombard them with questions about proper storage, maintenance, etc. and generally they'll agree to large price cuts :D

To the OP, how much was the person selling the tank for?

Hey sorry to bring up old thread but I had a relevant question.

Bought 2 tanks from a seller, said they were steel. Got them and magnets dont stick to these tanks.

1 of them has these markings

Around the neck :
01 0712 02 1104 0409 0113
145 057 057 145 142

Across body:
AS 1777 LAB625
TW 15.1kg WP24,0MPa AT

Across body:

SE9823
C11,6kg 90950
15C TR 36,0MP

Flat bottomed.

Is this actually an aluminium tank he sold me? hmm

Your missing a lot of numbers/letters with the information they gave you.

Have them check again.

To give you an idea of how much is missing, here are the numbers for one of my 95cf HP steel tanks:

7C-SU 4957-230 BAR DOT-SP14157-3442 TP5250 PEE 75.3x7100 4070001 01A09 M8004 XS SCUBA

From this you can see that the manufacturer of the tank is XS Scuba. It is a steel tank. The tank was produced in January of 2009. Working pressure is 230 Bar, and tank pressure is 3442psi.

XS makes NO tanks. This tank was made FOR XS Scuba, M8004 is the DOT code for Worthington Cylinders, It is NOT PEE but REE (data used in hydro) The amount of mis-information in this whole thread is astounding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom