Steel Tank Condemned: Cracks in Threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am of the same opinion that it is highly unlikely that a steel tank has a crack in the threads. Is it possible they are looking at the line that can be formed by the threading tap when it is reversed. I would certainly get a second opinion before the tank gets condemned.

I’ve dealt with both of the people in the shop that do tank inspections on more than a dozen occasions. Knowing the person that called...he wouldn’t have reached out to me to tell me that it was cracked if he didn’t get a second set of eyes on it first.

I can’t say that I’ve heard of similar issues with steel tanks, so it wouldn’t have occurred to me to look out for this.

It was condemned at VIP. They made it clear that they want me to look at the tank (they said that proactively) and would not stamp it as condemned until I have a chance to look at it.

The shop in question is meticulous, in my experience. I’ve spent a good amount of money with them and they have no reason to hose me over a used tank. By being thorough, they’re actually losing money, as they won’t be charging me to O2 clean and fill that tank as a result of the cracks.

I thought this seemed odd, but like I said...I don’t think the issue is with this shop. I would be far less surprised to hear that the last inspection wasn’t as thorough as it should have been.

take it to a hydro shop and get it hydro'd. That will be a definitive answer. They have a required vip before the test, and if it is actually cracked, it will show during hydro as it won't hold test pressure.

There are some things that can look like cracks in threads that are really not cracks. Go take a look at the tank and let them show you what they are talking about. Then ask if they can get a second opinion from their most experienced tank inspector. If they only have 1 inspector at the shop, ask if they can arrange for that inspector's VIP instructor to take a look at it and see what he thinks. Good intructors offer to do this during the VIP class. And the instructor might be interested in seeing a steel tank that actually does have a crack in the threads.

take it to a hydro shop and get it hydro'd. That will be a definitive answer. They have a required vip before the test, and if it is actually cracked, it will show during hydro as it won't hold test pressure.

Good idea. I’ll see if I can do that. Thank you.

Very nice! The dick who did my re-quals at the first 5-year interval condemned my Worthington LP85 that had a total of a half dozen fills to rated capacity. He blew the test, and destroyed my tank. No interaction at all. It is truly apparent he did not follow the procedure to let it stabilize in the round-out process. My loss.... not a thing I can do about it. sucked....

Years ago a hydro inspector condemned one of my tanks stating “it would not hold pressure”. I sent the tank to the manufacture who informed me there was a piece of grit on the o-ring flange the prevented the hydro test from sealing. The tank was still good, however, the inspector X’d out the tanks.

It really irked me the tester condemned my tank without any written consent and before contacting me.

Good idea. I’ll see if I can do that. Thank you.

why wouldn't you be able to out of curiosity?

@shurite7 if they did that, then the dive shop that did the VIP is responsible for replacing them. It is a REALLY quick lawsuit for unlawful destruction of property if they refuse...

why wouldn't you be able to out of curiosity?

@shurite7 if they did that, then the dive shop that did the VIP is responsible for replacing them. It is a REALLY quick lawsuit for unlawful destruction of property if they refuse...

I have no idea. I’ve never run into this before, so I don’t know what I don’t know.

I have no idea. I’ve never run into this before, so I don’t know what I don’t know.

Just tell them that before you have it condemned, you want a DOT certified inspector to validate as a second opinion. VIP's aren't required by law

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom