Steel tank Wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, yes, yes I know all about the balanced rig concept and have no problems with it. My question still remains, with the numbers I have found, why were steel tanks an absolute no no with a wetsuit and Al okay. The numbers look the same to me.

SteveW once bubbled...
My question still remains, with the numbers I have found, why were steel tanks an absolute no no with a wetsuit and Al okay. The numbers look the same to me.
The "no steels with wetsuit" rule is a generalization. It would be better worded "no negatively buoyant when empty tanks, with wetsuit". Aluminum tanks are *generally* considered buoyant, steel tanks *generally* considered negative. You're right, it's the buoyancy characteristics that count, not the material of the tank.

To be honest, the people responsible for that "rule" were probably talking about double Pressed Steel LP104 tanks. People hear it, repeat it as steel tanks, and the message gets lost in the telling.

Plus we are basically talking doubles, and the guy who came up with that rule (G.I.) also says you shouldn't dive HP tanks, but only pst LP 95's or LP104's. In that context it makes sense, double 95's or 104's are dangerously heavy with a wetsuit.

The more important rule is the balanced rig. As long as your rig is balanced, and you really do know what that means, you should be ok. LP104's happen to be really nice tanks that make it very easy to stay horizontal in the water, so that's why they are the tank of choice.

I cant believe there is so many <deleted> guys out here !

Every single <deleted> is saying i dive steel ...bla bla ... and im fine.

You <deleted> ... is when you dive deep ( think that never hapens
with you anyway ) that your suit compress so much and buoyancy goes out of the window.

Manos,

The issue is not steel, it's buoyancy.

I dive steel doubles, but I can swim them to the surface with a total BC failure. If I had larger steels, I would not dive them without a dry suit.

Look to the reason behind the guideline. If the reason applies, use the guideline, if it doesn't, toss the guideline.

Walter once bubbled...
Manos,

The issue is not steel, it's buoyancy.

I dive steel doubles, but I can swim them to the surface with a total BC failure. If I had larger steels, I would not dive them without a dry suit.

Look to the reason behind the guideline. If the reason applies, use the guideline, if it doesn't, toss the guideline.
This is one of those guys that ain't gonna buy any kind of reasoning you throw at him. Him and DIR Tec Diver are cut from the same mold.. AFAIK, they are on the same dive team, so expect a similar message from both of them.

Something like this would be typical, "blah blah blah blah stroke blah blah blah blah stroke blah blah blah blah you will die blah blah blah blah I rule"

read my lips >> and buoyancy goes out of the window <<

Simple test : Get trimix certification , where your steel tanks ,
go on 80m , deflate completely your wing , try to ascent !!!

No luck ....hmm

read my lips >> and buoyancy goes out of the window <<
Your lips are real tough to read...they seem to be permanently formed into a shape that, interestingly enough, corresponds to part of DIR Tec Diver's anatomy...

Actually, while 'your mileage may vary' from website to website, here's what PST has to say about comparing their steel tanks against an aluminum 80:
http://www.pstscuba.com/aacom.htm

Walter already pegged it, but the issue isn't steel. Calculate your bouyancy.

OTOH, I'm betting that these guys diving neoprene aren't counting on their suits for much bouyancy below 3ATA.

Go with what works for ya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom