Steel tank Wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR Tec Diver, O-ring and anyone else who is interested in insulting others,

Insults and name calling is out of bounds and will not be tolerated. You can think someone is an idiot all you want. You can even point out why a position is stupid. You man not say, "you are an idiot."

It is possible to disagree and to disagree passionately without resorting to name calling.

Tone it down. I'm tired of editing posts, the next post with personal insults doesn't get edited, it gets deleted.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
DIR is not for arrogant aholes, and certainly not for sniveling people like you either. Guess what. We don't want you or people like you.
Now that I am officially kicked out I will look elsewhere for training. Thanks for clearing that up for me before I spent a wad of money.

I would never portray myself as an expert in something I was not competent and had experience in. No I am not George, don't say I am, don't say I know anywhere as much as him, but I learn more from him than you can possible imagine. Many of us do, those of us strong enough to keep an open mind, listen and do what he and other experts say is the right way, and to be strong enought to take a bashing from time to time and then correct where where needed.
No comment..

DIR is a way of life and complimented by the appropriate equipment configuration. All you have done in this post is whine, and you are also whining at the wrong person. Look at my profile and see where there is anything about slamming strokes or anything like that.
Sorry, I couldn't tell you guys apart...the flaming rhetoric sounds identical. Must come with the open mind...

We are here to help clean house from people like you so those people that are here to learn have a chance to, and if it is going to be a battle with you all the time, bring it on.
People like me, eh? Man, good luck with that. I will tell you one thing...you are quickly convincing me that I want absolutely nothing to do with DIR or GUE. Someone from one or the other of those groups should have silenced you before you got out.

DIR is not only the most intelligent and professional application in diving, but also based upon the facts that are indisputable.

. period end of story [/B]
You're right..end of story.

DIR is a way of life and complimented by the appropriate equipment configuration. All you have done in this post is whine, and you are also whining at the wrong person. Look at my profile and see where there is anything about slamming strokes or anything like that.

We are here to help clean house from people like you so those people that are here to learn have a chance to, and if it is going to be a battle with you all the time, bring it on.

DIR is not only the most intelligent and professional application in diving, but also based upon the facts that are indisputable.

Then explain the photo of Kane.

You can't. You know it. You even tried to get the photo pulled down when it was first referenced, so that the truth about GUE would be further hidden from those who you attack.

Here it is, once again:

gallery10_image09.shtml

Note the following DIR/GUE "violations":

1. Steel doubles in a wetsuit.
2. The diver in the picture is grossly overweight; in fact, he looks like he has a baby in there.

Now square this with the caption that identifies the diver in the photo as none other than Michael Kane, one of GUE's instructors, who by GUE's own standards is unfit to dive at WKPP (BMI) and is diving an "improper" configuration of gear.

At WKPP.

Where George is in control.

This very same person has, right here, gone after and defended the GUE standards for physical fitness, to the point of defending GUE's refusal to train people who don't fit the profile.

Yet he, himself, as a GUE instructor, doesn't fit the profile.

Never mind the rants from the DIRites about steel tanks and wetsuits, which conveniently ignore the fact that the real issue - and you have even agreed with me on this - is the mass of the gas, not the material from which the tank is made.

Now it turns out that the emperor has no clothes. The credibility of the GUE crowd has just gone straight into the wood chipper, just as Bennett's did when it was discovered that the "pillar
of virtue" had run up an $8m gambling debt taking pulls off the one-armed bandit!

Look what we found when the truth became an issue. A real-to-life GUE instructor, complete with a wetsuit and double LP104s, sporting a full-term baby (and plenty of extra padding for it) in his belly - but of course, he's male.

"The picture was put up when the site was out of his control." Cute. Note that what he didn't say is that the picture is not of the claimed person - that is, Kane. Nor that he really didn't make that dive. Or that it really wasn't at WKPP. Or that the date is wrong. Or that anything is factually wrong with the photo or its caption at all.

Rather, it was put up such that he didn't catch and censor the truth.

The emperor is stark naked and running around the room.

And I'm running out of spare keyboards.

Man, I am glad this thread is back to life...entertainment at its finest....

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
DIR is a way of life and complimented by the appropriate equipment configuration.
Dude...can you please tell me then what kind of house, car, and kitchen equipment I should buy? I want to be DIR too!!!
DIR is the most intelligent and professional application in diving
Well, that is your opinion....you are entitled to it....Me, I think the mnost intelligent application in my diving is what I think is best and is most comfortable to me. I guess that makes me DIMW (Do it my way)

You guys are just running with it. Calm down a little boys...no fighting on the playground.

OK, first of all, there are dislikeable people everywhere, DIR or not DIR.

I think one should base one's choice of life support equipment on how well it performs, not on how cute the salesgirl is...if you catch my drift. If the system is better, then it is still better EVEN IF all the DIR proponents are jerks.

Which, I can assure you, they are not. I know many DIR divers, and they are all very nice people.

The picture of MHK doesn't prove that DIR or GUE is worhtless. It proves that MHK was once not in shape, and the he once did something pretty dumb. Look at the date, it was several years ago.

Even if MHK lost some credibility with that picture, I fail to see how it invalidates GUE or DIR. DIR is still the best system out there, and GUE is still the best training you can get. I know this, because this is what all the people who've taken a GUE class say.

Please guys, let's keep it civil...on both sides. DIR guys often get accused of being rude, but I have seen more rudeness coming from the other camp than from DIR guys. It's only normal that we sometimes lash back.

This is a copy of a post I just made to Quest once I learned of the issue.. BTW, it amazes me that this picture was taken years ago but some are still interested in it..

Also, to the new "friends" that have recently arrived on this list purpotedly to "help" the DIR movement or to free the strokes, or whatever you think you are doing, let me say this:

You are NOT helping at all!!!!!! Each list has it's own personality and temperment. The tech list is rough and tumble, Quest is getting off track, rec.scuba is a joke and so on and so forth.. Let me try to stop you guys before you dig to deep of a hole, this list is not the place for you guys to posture and cross post to impress anyone.. We don't need that kind of help, we don't want that kind of help and I wish you guys would stop. You may think you are helping, but you are NOT!!!! Except for one or two guys on this list, the overwhelming majority of this list are reasonable people with open minds, you guys coming in as you have in the last two weeks or so are creating an atmosphere of hostility that hasn't existed on this list previously.. If you want to posture go back to rec.scuba or tech diver, you guys can pose all you want there..

Here's my only comment I plan on making as it relates to an outdated photo:

Paul, and other's..

This is exactly why cross-posting is a waste of time. Many have no idea of the totality of the issue, especially about an event that happened years ago..

That particular picture was taken the first time I went to a WKPP event, I hadn't expected to get in the water at all, I expected just to observe. At some point the surface manager at the time asked if I wanted to go to 20' to see the operation first hand. When I suited up the AL tanks that I borrowed from Mike Blitch had a valve problem so someone else lent me a set of tanks at the last second. I was in the water for less then 5 minutes with a max depth of 20'. When the initial round of flames popped up a few years ago, I admitted that I made a mistake and apologized to George for putting him in that position. In fact, he had no clue any of this happened until the guys on the tech list tried to make some hey out of it.

As usual, many of the detractors from the DIR movement will attempt to use any issue, no matter how slight, to attempt to justify their own illogical practices and then point to an outdated picture as an excuse. The biggest difference between me and them is that I learn from my mistakes whereas other's continue to justify their reckless habits with outdated pictures..

I'll have no further comment on this issue..

Later

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

I think one should base one's choice of life support equipment on how well it performs, not on how cute the salesgirl is...if you catch my drift.
That may be, but it sure doesn't hurt to have a nice lookin lady standin around...if you catch my drift.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
You guys are just running with it. Calm down a little boys...no fighting on the playground.

I'm just not a big fan of someone who walks into a place...or if I walk into somewhere I have been invited and I hear...

"you have to accept the fact you are wrong...."
"this is the best and only method..."
"blah blah blah"

Why? Show me something, teach me something...don't tell me i'm an idiot without some justification, I'm all about learning, but I'm also all about not having a dictator tell me what to do.

When I suited up the AL tanks that I borrowed
from Mike Blitch had a valve problem so someone else lent me a set of tanks
at the last second.

So the suitability of the rules IS determined by the dive plan!

Gee, that's funny. All those absolutes just go out the window when it suits 'ya, but when anyone ELSE talks about that, well, they're "strokes."

See, here's the problem I have with you Kane - when it suits 'ya, like this, you're willing to suit up and dive when you're morbidly obese (that's a medical term and not a personal attack) and in a gear configuration you flatly condemn, but for everyone else by God you'll impose those standards on others, including denying them training at all!

Its like the Pony debate, or the Triox debate, or a dozen others. The shoe only fits when GUE/MHK/GI3 says it does, and the rest of the time, even though the "rules" are being roundly ignored, its cool - as long as we're doing it.

If you ever wonder why some of us call you guys Kool-Aid drinkers, there's your reason - staring right back at 'ya - in that photo. It says all there is to say about the issue.

I think more people should look to JJ's example and not just to Georges. JJ does not not run around name calling, and certainly does not make a fool out of himself like alot of DIR Tec Diver wannabes. He uses tact and diplomacy to promote the DIR philosophy, instead of running into a crowded building of divers and yelling STROKE...STROKE!

Back
Top Bottom