Steel tanks dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been told to consider dry suits when diving steel tanks. I have bee diving them for years - in both wet and drysuit. But never really see if that is true. Several hundred dives later, I have not died yet! That is a YET. So I descended to 80 ft today with 120 HP single steel. 4 lbs ditchable weight, and 2 none. No backplates. Tried to fin up, but barely able to maintain more than 1 minute when the BC is empty. I had a small pony too, which is like another 2 lbs. I tried the lift bag. It worked, but not well. The dump valve is high, but lacking good control as a lot of air has to be added before you can dump. So the large lift bag as a redundant BC is not ideal. Suggestions to make diving safer with steel tanks? Thicker wetsuits? Better brand lift bags? Always dive where there is a safe hard bottom? Please do not say drysuit??

Steel tanks dangerous? Absolutely and under many circumstances.... If one slips off and hits a diver twenty feet below, if one falls on the boats resident cat.... it could happen, if catapulted through an annoying unsuspecting neighbors window, oh god yes steel tanks are dangerous.

Handle with care

When diving in MRI environments, too.

In a wetsuit, I feel very dangerous with my 2x LP50 steels for sidemount.
Someone should ban them, and send to me for disposal.

I think steel tanks are pretty dangerous. I have two 100 steels and one time one went after my toe. I keep them in the back of the closet now just to be safe.
Thanks for the heads up. I just bought a steel HP100 this week. Now I'm going to search Amazon for steel toed slippers so I can be safe at home.

Back
Top Bottom