Steel tanks, on the surface, with loop bungees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand how you're doing it. Once you remove the double ender, where does the paracord loop go?

It stays on the tank neck.

21367002_10212239683380537_2682792873173649826_o.jpg

a lot of people use the small rings like what @kensuf posted. I make the leashes long enough to not have to unclip. Personal preference for me and haven't really had a reason to go shorter and deal with double enders

Gotcha. I didn't realize the paracord leash you are talking about would be so short.

@stuartv What Ken said.

It works for me, the double enders aren't too much hassle and they sometimes come in useful elsewhere in the dive, especially with students.

If you use the tripod method for aluminium tanks then there's no extra snaps at all.

@stuartv What Ken said.

It works for me, the double enders aren't too much hassle and they sometimes come in useful elsewhere in the dive, especially with students.

If you use the tripod method for aluminium tanks then there's no extra snaps at all.

My apologies being an ignoramus here, but what is the tripod method?

No apologies necessary. I have no idea what the proper name is.

It's the method where you hang the AL tanks off the rear ring as usual. You then attach a double ender from the lower d ring to the ring of the tank snap. There was video on here somewhere from a French guy showing it.

Creates a situation where the tank position doesn't change as the buoyancy changes.

No apologies necessary. I have no idea what the proper name is.

It's the method where you hang the AL tanks off the rear ring as usual. You then attach a double ender from the lower d ring to the ring of the tank snap. There was video on here somewhere from a French guy showing it.

Creates a situation where the tank position doesn't change as the buoyancy changes.

Gotcha. I had a suspicion you might mean something like that. So, you start with a double ender connecting a neck leash to a chest D-ring, and a bolt snap from a tank body leash to a waist D-ring. That holds the tank stable before you get in the water. After you get in, you put your bungee on/around the tank neck/valve and remove the double ender. Then you attach the double ender at the waist, as described.

It seems like that could also possibly be useful even with a steel tank, to keep it from flopping around to the back if you turn face up?

I'm just exploring ideas here, not saying I'm convinced to start doing things that way.

Actually, the next time I get to practice with my sidemount rig, I plan to try for the first time putting leash around the valve and keeping it clipped to a chest D-ring and see how that goes. I use steels and I haven't been doing anything to let me carry the tanks clipped on on the surface. I'm hoping a leash will help with that as well as keep the top of the tanks from flopping way over behind me when I turn face up.

The tripod means the tank bottoms go nowhere. It's really stable.

I don't use it when I'm teaching SM for a few reasons but it really does make AL tank SM a breeze. Haven't tried with steels yet but can't see why it wouldn't keep the bottoms stable. The valves are a different story though.

I guess a double ender on the neck to the chest would seriously limit how far back they could go though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom