Steel tanks, on the surface, with loop bungees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Based on how my HP100s were in the water, with using loop bungees, I'm guessing they would be a total mess to try and don one (much less both) while on the surface and then get in.

Is there a "best practice" way of securing the top of the tank so that I can walk around (say, stand up and shuffle to a boat exit) with a steel 100 clipped on at the bottom and using a loop bungee at the top?

A leash of paracord with a bolt snap? Prussik loop it around the tank neck and clip it to a chest D-ring? Leash long enough to not pull it down from where it would ride with the leash attached?

When I rolled over on my back, the tanks wanted to totally flop and dangle the tops down behind my back. It seems like a leash would help with that, too?

You use a short "choker" made from paracord and a bolt snap. Some people also take their valves off and put a SS ring on their tanks at the neck and use a double ender to attach the tops of the tanks to the upper d-ring on each side. Do NOT count on your "loops" to hold the tanks on the surface.

neck leashes. You can either make them long enough to clip to the D-ring and leave them when you get in the water or you can unclip them once you hook in. I personally leave them connected and don't actually pull the bungee over until I'm horizontal under the water so everything gets oriented properly

Thanks. I was on the right track, then.

I don't want to put a SS ring on the tank valve just because I want to develop my rig and diving procedures so that they will still work even with borrowed or rented tanks.

As mentioned, for us cold water/steel tank guys, use some cord and a bolt snap. There are a few ways of doing this but in the end they keep a heavy tank attached to you harness securely until you're under water and you can use the bungees. I even do this in Mexico with Al80's if we have a bit of a walk to the cenote.

I don't want to put a SS ring on the tank valve just because I want to develop my rig and diving procedures so that they will still work even with borrowed or rented tanks.

My neck leashes are a length of paracord with an overhand knot that I've slipped through the shackle of a bolt snap. No need for an SS ring, cheap enough to travel with spares, quick enough to throw on rental tanks.

Last edited:

Need to be careful with metal to metal as well. If the snap fails shut then you can’t take the tanks off the rig without bolt cutters. Unlikely yes but paracord is cheaper and easier to get off.

I use the DR chokers.

I use the DR chokers.

I am new to SM. In my mind, use of DR Chokers implies using a ring bungee system. I understand how that works and how it keeps the top of your tanks stable. But, I don't understand how the chokers would apply to my situation of being setup to use loop bungees.

Use the chokers as a leash. Double ender to your shoulder rings.

Use the chokers as a leash. Double ender to your shoulder rings.

Do you then unclip them once you're in the water and in trim? Otherwise, it seems like a double ender would be too short and not let the tank move back and up far enough to ride right. Or is the choker not tight around the tank valve like I usually see them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom