Steps to become a TDI Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kindaeasy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Could someone explain the process of becoming a TDI Instructor for someone who is a PADI OWSI? I would be interested in teaching all open circuit courses (Intro to Tech thru Advanced Trixmix). What would the process be? My only TDI cert is EANx, from back in 95’.

On a completely different thought process…rather than becoming a SDI instructor in order to teach one class (Solo Diver), is it possible to apply to teach that as a TDI distinct specialty, weather using the SDI course materials or not, and actually getting this approved? I wouldn’t think it would be much of a stretch being SDI/TDI, but maybe this has been tried and not been approved?

Thanks!!!

Are you Trimix trained/certified? If not, then it's not likely you'll be able to teach that class. You need to have a minimum of equivalent training and some experience in the courses you want to teach. If you have that, locate a TDI IT. TDI has standards, but they allow the instructors and ITs a bit of independence in how they conduct their classes. An Internet answer may not be what you encounter locally.

Could someone explain the process of becoming a TDI Instructor for someone who is a PADI OWSI? I would be interested in teaching all open circuit courses (Intro to Tech thru Advanced Trixmix). What would the process be? My only TDI cert is EANx, from back in 95’.

On a completely different thought process…rather than becoming a SDI instructor in order to teach one class (Solo Diver), is it possible to apply to teach that as a TDI distinct specialty, weather using the SDI course materials or not, and actually getting this approved? I wouldn’t think it would be much of a stretch being SDI/TDI, but maybe this has been tried and not been approved?

Thanks!!!

The process is quite straightforward.

First step is to cross you over from your current agency to ours... since you are teaching sport diving for a fellow member of RSTC this crossover will be to Scuba Diving International. All your specialties and will be crossed over with you.

The crossover process is painless... if you are attending DEMA, visit A SURVEY: DEMA Seminar/Workshop Signup and you'll see we are running two sport-diving crossovers during DEMA week in Las Vegas. Please register if you can... we'd love to see you there.

Also if you are at the show, visit us at booth 149 and we can talk (I will be there along with several other staff ITs)

If you cannot make the show, no worries, any IT can facilitate a crossover and I can put you in touch with one... just send me your email address.

NOW becoming a TDI instructor. First question is are you currently teaching technical programs for a competitive agency? If you are then some or all of those certs will be crossed over to TDI (as long as certain criteria are met) when you do your SDI crossover.

If you do not teach technical programs, you need first to become a TDI entry-level instructor (Nitrox) and build experience to work up to trimix. I take it you currently dive trimix on OC? If not then please let me know what level of diving you are currently certified for. A private email would likely be best.

Hi Steve, I've thought about a cross over from PADI also, but, it's my understanding that you must affiliate with a SDI shop. Is that true?

Yes, to teach SDI course you must be affiliated with a SDI shop. I hope SDI will change that rule. Then I can completely switch over.

Steve, please lean on Brian for us independent instructors. :D

Steve, it looks like the DEMA seminars require SDI crossover to be done. Can someone do a TDI crossover without the SDI portion?

Steve, it looks like the DEMA seminars require SDI crossover to be done. Can someone do a TDI crossover without the SDI portion?

Short answer, Yes.

Essentially, when an instructor crosses over ALL his or her certs can get crossed over to equivalent SDI or TDI levels.

As an example... and my approach is pretty typical... I use the same general crossover presentation whether the candidate is going to teach SDI, TDI or ERDI. Once that stuff is covered, I talk with the candidate about specifics... and depending on the candidate and what level he / she of TDI instructing they want to conduct and what their experience is, move ahead with recommending what TDI programs we certify them for. So the slightly longer answer is many technical instructors have crossed over (and continue to cross over) to TDI with no intention of teaching SDI... often though, when they understand the integration between the two, they pick up on a few SDI Specialties because they see the value in teaching at least some programs, from that curriculum.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response. I understand there could be an advantage to being a SDI instructor as well. However, I don't teach out of a shop now and have no intentions of doing so. And there's no SDI shop within an hour's drive of me!

I faced this issue last year, and opted for a different route.... which was writing a PADI distinctive specialty for "self-reliant diving". I was pleasantly surprised that it was approved. It's got more of a team focus than a pure solo diver course, and it's probably got as much in common with GUE-F as the SDI solo diver course.

The main driver is the pre-reqs for becomming an SDI Solo instructor, which I beleive requires you issuing a number of other SDI certs first of all (please check, I could be wrong!).... so you can't "just teach the solo course".

Hijacking this thread a little, just a quick query regarding pre-reqs for a TDI instructor course. As I recall, Steve, there's a pre-req for a minimum number of EANx (for Adv. Nitrox) and "SDI Deep, Advanced Nitrox or equivilent" (for Deco. Proc.) certifications. What would be considered "equivilent"? I now opt to teach my distinctive specialty (above) almost exclusively instead of Deep courses, as I think it's better value for students. Topics on the course are gas management, equipment redundancy etc. In water skills are extended buoyancy skills, deploying DSMBs, demonstrating situational awareness, diving within gas limits, managing side slung cylinders etc. I'm sitting through a Deco. Proc. course at the moment with a TDI IT to see if I want to do my TDI instructor course with him - I'm essentially teaching the same stuff, minus deco schedules and valve drills.

Could this potentially count as "equivilent"? And who would make that decision, TDI HQ or the individual IT?

Essentially, when an instructor crosses over ALL his or her certs can get crossed over to equivalent SDI or TDI levels.

Hmmmm. Would that then mean that I could teach the SDI solo diver course if my distinctive specialty was substansively the same as the SDI solo diver course?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom