Sticker $$ shock on gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a good set of mask/fins/snorkle is $$$ but worth it IMO.

It doesn't have to be. I got a top rated Tilos low-volume frameless mask for under $40, Mares Avanti Quattro open heel fins for $26 including shipping, and a $15 snorkel that works fine and usually stays in my dive bag anyhow. That's less than $80 total, and all purchased new within the last year. Shop around... there are great deals out there.

that's not too expensive, I paid $110 for my mask, $170+ for my Atomic Split fins and about $50 for my Atomic sv2 snorkel.

...well, if you think the gear is expensive, just wait until you tack on airfare/travel/trip expenses!

Great topic guys,
I was recently certified on a trip to Ocho Rios Jamaica. I was considering purchasing a BC; Reg; Octo combo from Joe Diver for under $600. Brand is Oceanic. I'm not expecting top quality for this price but I am expecting it to be safe. Any one have experience with this brand?

Here's the address to the package:
joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/Scuba_Gear_Packages/PKGdaytripper

Hi Alex:

Yeah, things can get expensive quick and espec.................. 170 USD from TheDecoStop (TDS)
DSS BP/W single with 26 lb lift, and a knife: New, 450 USD (I think +/- a few bucks) from DSS
Akona booties (cold water): New 60 USD from scuba.com
Scout clone 3 cell light: Used 40 USD from eBay
ScubaPro Jet fins, XL: Used 45 USD from eBay
Suunto Vyper with DSS boot: Used and new, 180+18 from TDS and DSS
Cobbled spring straps about 10 USD DIY
Compass and DSS boot: New*2, less than 70 USD (54+12) from LeisurePro and DSS
I hope this helps and good luck shopping!

With kindest regards,
Thomas

Thanks for the detailed line items...

I refuse to pay $35-$50 for a snorkel! lol... how much technology can go into a snorkel?? The mask? Well, I paid , about $10 more than I would've paid online, but I thought it was reasonable being that the guy was helpful. I told him I had been out of the sport for a while, and he kinda walked me through my choices in mask, fins, and snorkel...and assisted me with the mask .. So not much more to pay...

The fins? Da.m , those things are expensive... cressi sub were about $110 and some others were, as you guys know, upwards of $150-$200... That's tough to buy used or new online unless you try it on... and kinda sucks to go in try them on and leave.. lol, to save $10..., but if its' $20+, yeap... I'll do it...

I am only going to be getting the snorkeling equipment for now... then maybe the regulator... and just rent the rest, until I know I won't quit...

Good quality dive gear can be expensive, but once you get in with your LDS you can get pretty sweet deals, and sticker shock just depends on your wallet.

By Not getting yourself a computer at first...

you just Dont need one unless your going to be doing in excess of 3 dives/day or multiple dives exceeding 60' or so...

I'm into my 2nd year of diving... 117 dives so far and the Only time I felt I could have used a computer was when diving at 120' and wanted to maximize my bottomtime (I actually DID have an ol' Dacor Microbrain for that dive that worked just fine, but since I got it as part of a lot Real cheap I dont count it as actually "buying a dive computer" yet).

So... again... you dont need it/save some money... get Solid on your tables for a year... Then buy a computer if you want... Plus, Nextyear they'll be even cheaper/better (such is the way off all things computer).

it's cheaper (by a lot) than racing motorcycles :doh2:

Amen to that brother....I still remember competing against guys that were sponsored and changed tires every major race. Gawd I hated them! :rofl3:

If you compare the cost of diving to many other sports, like skiing, golf, et al, its really not all that expensive.

The GEAR is not that expensive, but traveling to cool places to dive, that can get $$$$$$$$ real fast!

Just head out to a popular snorkel spot and do a few dives. We came up with three masks and two snorkels. One mask was basically brand new. Fins, buy a used pair of ScubaPro Jet fins. Easy to find them used for $20-$40.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom