Sticker $$ shock on gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask your self this how much is your life worth then go buy your dive gear????? me I save up and buy new

Ask your self this how much is your life worth then go buy your dive gear????? me I save up and buy new
Tell me again how a fatal malfunction of any piece of rec gear put your life in jeopardy (other than the divers brain)?
There is solutions to every gear failure as long as you think clearly and do something about it. It might not be fun and it might affect your ability to complete the dive/start a new one, but life threatening I have a hard time seeing a single equipment failure being without a bad decision being made as the result of it.

So, you're saying that when you replace your old gear, that you absolutely refuse to sell it or give it away despite knowing that you may have been so meticulous about it's upkeep but you just want something with more bells, whistles, or just newer?

If this is indeed the case, let me know what kind of stuff you have and if I like it, I will gladly look it over, repair or maintain it, and then use it. My life isn't worth much according to me and using your rationale, so I'll take that chance. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Just look at it as you own personal economic stimulus package. . . one that's tailored towards the diving community instead of Wall Street! :wink:

The reason dive gear cost so much is the mark up. Dive shops sell everything at list price. You buy a Poseidon reg for $680.00 dive shop pays $320.00 for it. Fins $80.00 they pay $42.00 and so on.

PvtStash thanks for the suggestions of the stores...I ended up a diver's direct today down in Key Largo... thanks to every one else as well with the detailed comments...

I spent $155 for the following:
Cressi Reaction Fins
Mares X Vision mask
$14 snorkel

So much more relaxed... If I end up doing the sport for a while and I find the need, I can always upgrade and hand these down to my boys or keep as spares...

I take that to mean:

"You can try a savings account, but the banks will steal it. You're better off getting things you like and will enjoy. When you're old, all you'll have left is memories. Make them good ones."

Personally, I've had no issues with used gear (life support gear is stuff like pacemakers). All of my kit has worked extremely well, and in several cases, better than the fancy new gear my buddy's been sporting. That's due to the bathtub curve:
Bathtub curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

350px-Bathtub_curve-2.jpg

Add in the crapomatic manufacturing chickanery that is today's SOP for mass-produced goods, and you're likely better off with some well-built, well-maintained used gear than some new plastic crap that a nine-year-old Chinese girl built at 3am.

Diving is expensive, but shop around some, most of our LDS have some sort of annual sale that is really cheap (bc's from about 200 regs from like 200 up, masks 20 up) to get by a short while rentals run about 50 here for mostly everything so if your diving once a month it works out ok for buying time. Ebay is a good resource, but be careful (some mfg's wont honor warrenty, and gear should be serviced or checked if bought used) also check with some of the LDS and some will work on prices for you, (you could buy bc, reg, gauges, and possibly get them to throw in a mask or fins or discount some of it for you) If your buying alot of gear off them they are more likely to help you on price.

kh: "Self, how much is my life worth?"

Self: "Quite a bit."

kh: "Self, how much is Muddog's statement worth?"

Self: "Very little."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom