Still flying with my Pony - the best buddy I ever had!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Just returned from one more Round-trip flight intenerary with my 19 cf pony bottle. Absoulutely no problems. Let's see, that's 8 trips in a row with it in the last year, no questions in any airport, i.e. LBB, Roatan, LAX, RDU, Cozumel, MIA, Belize city, and I usually don't bother to remove the valve, although I have started doing so with recent international news, but on the outbound trips only.

I'll continue to report on the successful trips with Pony, as I have no intent of not taking it on the planes. I wouldn't bother if I could rent them, but the possibilities are remote, as demand is low, and insurance and court possibilities are complex. Adn shipping one ahead to an international destination would be almost as expensive as just buying one...!

The quote offered from TSA's site is correct:
Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage

Some suggest that remove the valve excludes it from this rule, and that's probably safer. Some of us suggest that these Govt employees either don't know what they're doing, or it's all supposed to be a bluff anyway.

I figure the most I can likely to lose is a $100 tank, if they ever challenge me, although criminal arrest is a remote possibility.

I know that I'd rather risk traveling with my Pony than risk diving without it!!

Boogie711:
Aw, that's sad Don. I feel bad for you. Maybe some day you can find people you can trust to dive with. Have you considered a DIR-F course?

:D Pony Bottles may be the most unpopular subject on SB; Everytime any attempt at discussing any aspect about them is offered, responses that have nothing to do with the post appear.

No, I have not considered a DIR course. I've heard that they can be very helpful, even though they have nothing to do with the subject offered. Wonder if anyone in West Texas offers them.

Will there be any problem with me diving the course with my 2 computers, PB & reg, Octo, and blue wet suit? I consider the first 3 safety equipment that I'll not forfeit for anyone else's opinion, and the latter I see as too unimportant to discuss.

Snowbear:
Yeah, Boogie - I was thinking the same thing.
On the other hand - I can also say I once had the same attitude. Then I found out that I, too was much less of a buddy than I thought I was :11:

Interesting implications. I guess I could be a bad buddy? I dived with several instructors last week, including 2 Tech instructors; I'll be sure to ask them if they saw anything in my diving that could stand correcting, mostly certainly any times that I was less than an excellent buddy. Off hand, I was one of the helpful divers on the boat, carrying extra clip weights on the first dive to clip onto the BC of the diver who couldn't stay down for his safety stop, loaning equipment to others in need, running backup safety for those less experienced in case of mishap, etc., but I will indeed ask.

The 2 times I have had to use my PB, my buddies were very glad that I had it, since they had only 500# left in their tanks - which I wanted them to save for reserve needs, but when they started sharing off my tank, the 2 of us started exhausting my tank too quickly. I was able to let them have more of my tank only because I could switch to my PB. So, based on my experiences, to not carry my PB would make me less of a buddy.

But for anyone interested in discussing traveling with Pony Bottles, it's still open...
:crafty:

Don, I think the reaction was to your title line:
"Still flying with my Pony - the best buddy I ever had!! "

If the best buddy you've ever had is a pony bottle then that is a sad social state of affairs. As for what makes a good buddy, and if you are a good buddy... well, a person doesn't know what they don't know. Many folks have never had the experience of diving with (and being) a good buddy.

Now... that said... about this flying with a pony bottle business... I'm glad you and your friend weren't hassled at the airport. :D

DandyDon:
Interesting implications. I guess I could be a bad buddy?
Actually, Don, I was implying no such thing.

Pug was correct when he said the reaction (mine anyhow) was to the title.

It was my own experience that I relayed above - I thought I was a great buddy - I shared air with those who needed it and helped folks out of jambs on more than one occasion. Then one day I went on a little trip to the balmy warm waters of Puget Sound. In one single dive I found out that I didn't even have a clue what a good buddy is. By the second dive I realized I didn't have a clue how to be a decent buddy. Since then, I've geared everything I do in diving (even when I dive solo!) to being the best buddy I can be. What's amazing to me is how much more relaxed I am on dives - even when things are going sideways.

I've still got work to do as far as being a better buddy, but I'd like to think I've improved just a little bit since last October :wink:

Aww come on Don.....ponies dont cause as much talk here as cleavage elsewhere !!!

Great news about the bottle....I think my next trip I will give it a try.... but have someone standing by to take it home in case.
rich

Sorry to see that there are still many who consider solo diving and pony bottles to be less than desirable. Go for it Don!

I have posted my opinion several times here... 80% of my diving has been solo and only 20% with buddies yet 80% of my problem dives have been with buddies and 20% while solo (usually my fault). Buddies are highly overrated as safety equipment IMHO. I do have regular buddies that I would dive with every day if they were available, but not that many people can do 300+ dives a year.

Doc

drbill:
I do have regular buddies that I would dive with every day if they were available, but not that many people can do 300+ dives a year.

Doc

Yeah, if I could have a regular buddy, then we could develope teamwork, and - much of it would be from what I have learned here on SB.

My problem is that I never know who I'll be diving with when I travel, as that's the only way I can dive. So, between 80% of mny boat-pick dive partners and my Pony, there's one I know what to expect.

My point of putting this in the Gen Travel forum had to do with traveling challenges, but off track posts may have cooled any discussions.

"Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited as checked baggage. *A compressed gas cylinder is allowed in carry-on baggage only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). *The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside. *TSA Security Screeners will NOT remove the seal/regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. *If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside."

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml

Back
Top Bottom