Stillhouse Hollow recommendations???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svnipp

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A buddy and I are planning to head down to dive Stillhouse this coming weekend and neither of us have ever been there before. Anyone have any recommendations as to where to dive? Having never been there, I don't know what there is to see and from where. Ideally I'd like to see any goodies that a dive park there might have to offer and also get down below 60'. Vis and interesting stuff to see is the most important though.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Just before you get to the marina you will see a few parking places on the right and a larger parking lot with a pavilion beside that and the dive area most divers go to is just off that point. I have dove there several times and if good vis and getting below 60ft is what you are looking for Stillhouse may not be your answer but I have fun diving there anyway. You probably should take a dive flag and tie it off to the training platform, the dive site is not a protected area. You should send a pm to oldschool, he dives there often and can tell you all you need to know about the lake. There is a dive shop at the marina that can fill your tanks but it isn't always open.

Agree with PaulW.

I have only dived there one time. We entered the water approx. at the dive pavillion. Sorry. It's been a few years. I can't be more specific than that. . . . . I promptly got disoriented and just bumbled around for a while. There is a dive park in there somewhere. I understand from my dive buddy that if you head directly out from the entry point and somewhat toward the marina (draw a vector from this vague description . . . .I know. hard to do), you can find an original river channel with some associated depth and associated interesting stuff to see besides a flat mud bottom.

Stillhouse is like plenty of lakes in Texas, hit and miss when it comes to conditions. I've had anywhere from 20' visability in the river channel to less than 1' at the old water plant. Anyway, here's the scoop on Stillhouse. Pay the four bucks at the gate. It will be worth it. Pass the pavillion and turn in on the right. There are several parking spots there. Once suited up, walk out on the penninsula (the right side when facing it). Towards the end of the penninsula, there is a large concrete block on the shore. From the block shoot a heading of 207 degrees. Swim out at this heading and approx. 75 yds out you will come to the dive platform. There is an eyelet in the center to tie off your dive flag. Definitely use one or you will end up paying a fat fine. There are several lines running out from the platform. The line at the top right corner will take you straight to a boat in about 25 ft. There's a huge resident fresh water drum that calls it home and is pretty protective of his diggs. There are two lines at the top left orner of the platform. The one on the left will take you to another boat in about 30 ft. The line on the right will take you directly to the water plant in about 50 ft. Approx 8 ft to the left of the platform is another much lower platform. There are two lines off of this one. The one on the left will take you directly to the river channel. Follow the line down the side of the channel. It is tied to a huge boulder. From there, go either left or right and follow the wall. The channel depth is about 65'. Two weeks ago, the viz in the channel was maybe 2' at best. You'll find other lines as well that will take you from one wreck to another. There are 4 boats out there.Several weeks ago, it really opened up at the bottom to 20'+. You can also dive at the marina. In about 30' there are two large boats, one sailboat and one cabin. Anyone who's interested in diving Stillhouse and looking for a buddy, sned me a PM. I'm out of town this weekend but will be hitting it again the following weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom