Stingray kills 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow SB, that was fast. Sad indeed.

I wonder how a barb could get through to his heart?

Diver Dennis:
Gosh, that is a very freak accident...
I would imagine he was holding the ray, as he is wont to do with dangerous animals. That seems like the only way I could imagine that the ray would have enough leverage to do a lot of damage.

according to the guy on the radio, head fish guy at sydney aquarium

the "barb" is like a small kitchen knife and has sharpened sirations (sp) on them and can be about a foot long

fish guy says last time he got stung on the foot he had 5 fits of morphine and was still in pain

the ray can basically twist the tail like a scorpian to get to their victim.

if the barb pierced the heart, steve had no chance

archman:
This isn't another hoax is it? Steve Irwin's been reported dead before... several times in fact.
Doesn't appear to be so...cnn.com is reporting it on their home page as well.

How awful!!!!! :shakehead

alcina:
Just out of curiosity arch, how did it happen to you?

I see that wikipedia says that it's not the "venom" it's severing an artery that can cause death.
In my case I was drift-floating in about 18 inches of water around a mangrove island in Florida, and came directly underneath a large southern stingray. I couldn't move at all without hitting the bottom. The current literally floated me right over it's spine... if I'd have panicked and tried to sit up, I would have pinned the ray and gotten impaled in the chest. I brushed the top of the ray with my belly at one point, regardless. I'm surprised the thing didn't bolt, or stab me.

If Steve somehow got too close to the top of a ray, and the ray got leverage, it could have easily spined him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom