Stingray kills 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well guys, I for one like to use humor in situations like this. Thus, here's that FedEx commercial he did. :wink: Personally I think he was a great guy who did a lot for the animals he worked with--instead of people thinking they're mindless killers I hope he has shown the message that many are only defensive and attack only when provoked--"misunderstood" if you will.

SparticleBrane:
Well guys, I for one like to use humor in situations like this. Thus, here's that FedEx commercial he did. :wink: Personally I think he was a great guy who did a lot for the animals he worked with--instead of people thinking they're mindless killers I hope he has shown the message that many are only defensive and attack only when provoked--"misunderstood" if you will.
that was a cool commercial!! i was/am a huge fan oh that crazy crock hunter!! i will miss him as well!!!

almitywife:
as much as when watching his show i would cringe at his antics, he is thought of as the family memeber or neighbour that could live next door. im sure he drank far too much red cordial

for those that arent aware, money from the crocodile hunter shows was spent on buying huge parcels of land all over the world to protect natural habitat of widelife, his australia zoo facilities has the largest animal hospital in the country and the zoo itself employed over 500 local staff

As much as I too cringed at some of his antics, I agree that without the "entertainment", there would be no money for the "research" and the "conservation effort."

SparticleBrane:
Personally I think he was a great guy who did a lot for the animals he worked with--instead of people thinking they're mindless killers I hope he has shown the message that many are only defensive and attack only when provoked--"misunderstood" if you will.

I think if Steve had the ability to communicate from beyond the grave, this is what he would like to tell people about what happened to him.

SparticleBrane:

I loved that commercial! Gotta love his sense of humor!

-Francis

I wonder if the death of Steve Irwin will have a negative impact on attendance at Stingray City. I know that the rays down at the Caymans are conditioned to interactions with humans unlike those in Australia. When I did the Stingray City dive, one ray missed my hand and chomped on my elbow which left me with quite a bruise. Another smashed into my face (as shown in my video - website below). These were my fault as I was the one who was clumsy. However, I never did feel in danger at anytime. Now that the Crocodile Hunter has been killed by a stingray, I could see many tourists who normally would go to Stingray City do something else while in Cayman out of fear. The operators of Stingray City tours are now going to have to do some high level education and PR to prevent a drastic drop in attendance.

It's so sad about Steve's death. He did do his part in showing the non-diving world how beautiful the oceans really are. He will be missed.

Im very sadden by the news of Steve’s passing. My condolences to all those close to him. He will be definitely be missed. This was a tragic death but he died doing what he loved to do. May he rest in peace.

Terrible loss for his family and all who enjoyed his programs. But a loss for mother nature too.

From Australia Zoo web site, sorry if already posted.

http://www.crocodilehunter.com/

Media statement – 4 September 2006

Steve Irwin

At 11am today, the 4th September 2006, Steve Irwin was fatally wounded by a stingray barb to his heart whilst filming a sequence on Batt Reef off Port Douglas for his daughter’s new TV series.
Emergency services were called from Cairns Rescue Base and met Croc One, Steve’s rescue vessel at Low Isle on the Great Barrier Reef.
The Croc One crew performed constant CPR during the thirty minute dash to Low Isle, but the medical staff pronounced Steve dead at approx. 12 noon.

His producer and closest friend, John Stainton said on Croc One today,
“The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest Dads on the planet. He died doing what he loves best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. Crocs Rule!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom