Stockton Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anybody dove Stockton Lake in Central Missouri? If so, was it worth it?

Yesterday, I was sitting in the Maintenance Shop where I work and talking to a lot of the "old timers" who do a lot of fishin' and they wanted to hear about the world of scuba diving. Anyway, during this conversation, they all talked about Stockton Lake and wondered if I had ever dove there because it is soooo clear. They said they could sit in their boat and watch the fish that looked like they were 3 feet under water and when they turn on their depth finders the water is 60 feet. They said the bottom was sand and that was why the water was so clear.

As I mentioned, I was talking to a group of "Old Timer" Maintenance Guys, so, I tend to take a lot of what they say with a grain of salt. They tend to have fun sending people on wild goose chases; so, I thought I would ask if anybody has ever dove this lake.

S. Nagel

Hey nagel,
I have been freediving and spearfishing in Stockton Lake for about 12 years, and when I finish my OW in April a lot of my diving will be done at Stockton.
While I think that the "old timers" were pulling your leg on being able to see fish 60 ft. deep, the vis is normally pretty good (I think).
When the weather is dry and hasn't rained for a while, I have seen 30-40 ft. vis. If it has rained recently or if the wind has really been blowing, I have seen it drop to the 15 ft. range. I can't comment on the deeper vis just yet, but there are several dive clubs that come down (not sure where from, exactly) and dive there.
Orleans Trail fills bottles for about 4$. They are located on the West side of the lake, and are pretty nice people.
I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions let me know. If I don't know the answer, I will try to find out. If you plan on diving Stockton after the middle of April and need a buddy, let me know.

Dark Wolf

I have hear that it is one of the clearer lakes, but don't know that for a fact. I do know that weather plays a big part of it. I will be down there soon and will let you all know.

Dark Wolf

Thanks for the information. Also, during my conversation with the "old timers" they were talking about a place on the lake that has a very bad "under-tow". They said that several kids have drowned there because it looks like a very nice swimming spot, but kids can get caught in the under-tow easily. Do you know anything about that and/or where this spot may be?

S. Nagel

Hmmm, it does seem to ring a bell, but can't remember. Let me talk to a few people and I will get back to you. My cousins know the lake very well, so I will hit them up with the question.
I have mainly been around "Rock Beach", Mile Long Bridge, and around that area. But it is a pretty big lake. I will see what I can find out for you.

Dark Wolf

Stockton is one of the clearer lakes in the area, but Beaver Lake in Arkansas is wonderful almost year round (except around July 4th, Memorial Day, and Labor Day).

It is going to be added to my list of lakes this year, so if anyone has any beta on specific spots on Stocton, I would be interested in the info. I will also be meeting with the Army Corps to get accurate depth recon info to pass on to sb members.

OK, one of my cousins just got back from Guatemala, so I called and picked his brain. He says that the deepest that he has found is in the 120-130 ft. range, but his depth finder bottoms out at about that depth so he is not sure how deep it gets.

As far as the undertow, he doesn't know of anyplace like that but thinks that it may be down on the South end of the lake where some creeks or a river runs into it. He said that he would see what he can find out. I will do some more checking, as well.

Hope this helps, and I will post again as soon as I find out more.

Dark Wolf

OK, I found a web-site that says the max depth is about 100 ft. and that the vis will range from 10-25 feet.

The web address is www.scubaadventurer.com if you want to check it out. I think that they are being on the conservative side on both depth and vis.

As far as the depth, I cannot give you a firsthand account yet. But the vis will depend on which part of the lake you are at, and weather will affect it also. But I am sure that this is the case in most any lake.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know what I have found.

D.W.

Back
Top Bottom