Stolen Photos!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Accepting nefarious poaching of intellectual property merely because of the transportation media is wrong and will only serve to breed more of it. Ethics seems to be slipping in the "brave new world" of the internet.

Hear, hear...thank you, Storm.

Just because it's done, doesn't make it right. And each of us needs to stand up when we see a wrong being done and do our best to fix it and bring it into the light.

I'm so disgusted by the acceptance of bad behaviour, theft, disrespect and lack of personal responsibility I see every day. It's pathetic - and so are those who choose those paths.

Could not have said it better.

Hear, hear...thank you, Storm.

Just because it's done, doesn't make it right. And each of us needs to stand up when we see a wrong being done and do our best to fix it and bring it into the light.

I'm so disgusted by the acceptance of bad behaviour, theft, disrespect and lack of personal responsibility I see every day. It's pathetic - and so are those who choose those paths.

Actually that's not correct. Copyright infringement and plagiarism ARE rampant on the internet, but if you find a piece of your work being used for profit making (which was obviously not the case here) without your express permission, you can take action.

The reality is that with sites being hosted all over the world and most often outside of your home country's legal jurisdiction, the chances of recovering damages are slim. But if, for example, you found your work on a stock photo site without your express permission and it has been selling on a regular basis, you are entitles to royalties. If that site is hosted in your home country, you have a fair chance of getting your royalties, but you would probably pay more to get them than they are worth.

Accepting nefarious poaching of intellectual property merely because of the transportation media is wrong and will only serve to breed more of it. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the younger generations, those who were brought up on the internet, seem more prone to accept this type of behavior, after all a great many of them probably bought more than one essay from an internet source. Ethics seems to be slipping in the "brave new world" of the internet.

Here endeth the rant.

Peace!

So what does one do in this case?

I could not agree more. I am in a small battle with an individual that is using a logo I created. It was a draft that was sent out and was to be reworked to make it useable. Now it is being used without permission. I set myself up by sending the logo without a watermark. My fault for making that mistake.

I still stand by the - if you post it you will loose it unles you protect it - because there are going to be some idiots that do not care too much about ethics and what is right or wrong and simply take it to do what they want wth it.

Catching them is one thing. At what point is it worth to pursue them legally. At what cost. And when do you say forget it.

3- Lock them if you can. ( HTML sites are those that are the easiest to take images off.
Flash based sites can be locked down so no DOWNLOADING is allowed. )

Simple

Did you find a way of disable the Print Screen key on everyones keyboard or something? It's not rocket science to click Print Screen, past into an image processor and click File>Save.

Printscreen. Funny. It is not downloading is it...two differnt things.

What I refer to as no downloading is for more complex usage. Complex being using images logos etc for other than the web. Ads, brochures, any print material and even any broadcast usage. Where clear images are required.

Printscreen is a very low resolution image. If whom ever wants to take it...they will. By adding watermarks makes it that much more difficult to use.

Flash based sites: where printscreen is an evil tool. However, you cannot do right click and copy to desktop orsave file as, in my case with a Mac is simply drag and drop as opposed to HTML sites etc where drag and drop is a walk in the park. That is why we use Flash for many cient that do not want anyone downloading things. Especial images and logos. PDF files can be locked aswell for viewing only. And add security keys so the user has no authoring rights. You can view it and not edit it.

Did you find a way of disable the Print Screen key on everyones keyboard or something? It's not rocket science to click Print Screen, past into an image processor and click File>Save.

Printscreen. Funny. It is not downloading is it...two differnt things.
Printscreen is a very low resolution image

Print screen will (funnily enough) capture the image based on the resolution it's on your screen. If you post a high res 3000x2000 picture on the internet then it is trivial to use print screen to download it to a PC. Flash or no flash!!

If you put a 640x480 up, it is equally trivial to capture that. I don't see your point - are you saying it's possible to put up high res images that van be viewed using Flash than can not be captured? I don't think so.

By the way, print screen will work on PDF files too.

Yes you are correct that printscreen will capture anything on your - screen.

So what does one do in this case?

Sorry folks this one's long winded, but the question was asked.:wink:

Laws and procedures vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. If it was me going after the thief, and it has been in the past, I'd start with a simple email/letter to the offender informing that I own the copyright for the material, and can prove it, and expect to be compensated for the use of my material for capital gain. I also take this time to cc his service provider/web hosting site. They have a tendency to get prickly when one of their clients exposes them to a potential lawsuit.

If that does not get the offender to initiate a conversation and negotiation, then my next email/letter is the one informing that they are in violation of copyright laws and must cease their activity immediately or face a legal challenge in small claims court.

I also take the time to inform them, that regardless of where they live (assuming in my home country of course where domestic laws can be upheld relatively easier) that I'll be filing the complaint with the local court and thus once served they will be legally obliged to fight the case in my hometown. As the complainant, I get more consideration when it come to venue, so right on outset, the offender is looking at travel to my hometown, the costs for a local lawyer etc.

That is usually all it takes for the faint of heart thief; after all there are plenty other potential victims waiting on the next click of the mouse and I'm begin too much of a pain in the backside.

For those who are really stubborn about it, I look to see what the costs would be to proceed, and if justified, I file a formal charge, through my lawyer, and haul their thieving rump before a judge. Part of my petition includes the cost recovery for my lost profits, legal fees, court fees and punitive damages.

How do I prove my case? Well simply I use one of the more respected (in the eyes of the courts anyway) government institutions; Canada Post. (Being Canadian I use them, if I were a US resident, I'd be using USPS). Before I release any original work that I deem to be of significant value, I burn it to a CD, take said CD to a local post office and send it back to my self registered mail, signature required (Once this is done you can never open the envelope; the sealed, dated, and signed stamp will be useless should the envelope get opened.) By doing this I now have fairly incontrovertible evidence of when the piece was created/shipped. IF my unscrupulous thief should try and claim authorship/copyright ownership, they are going to be in for a shock as I have proof, from a very strong witness (the postal service) of when I created the material.

I have actually had to use this method once, with an outdoor publisher that “pirated” one of my articles. The magazine in question was published out of the US, and I had sent them an unsolicited article for publication consideration. They politely told me that they did not accept freelance pieces, preferring to write their own articles; thank you much etc, etc. (this is how a freelancer gets work, we write then try to sell the final product)

Six months later, a fairly close copy (some minor changes but not near enough to distinguish it from my original work, appeared in one of their magazines. I was livid. I really didn’t care much about the financial side of it, a feature article like that, even it makes the cover (which it did not in their rag), is only worth, at the top end, a couple of thousand dollars. (And besides in the interim, I had sold my original work to a Canadian publisher), but the fact that they claimed authorship really ticked me off. (Besides my Canadian publisher was calling asking if they had exposed themselves to a copyright problem as they had no previous dealings with me beforehand and were concerned that they made a bad decision, so for me, it was also a reputation thing.

It took three letters and one threat of legal action, to get the plagiarists to succumb; they paid me the going rate plus the costs of having my lawyer draw up a few letters, but did stick me with a non-disclosure (hence why their name is not being used). Apparently they were going to start soliciting freelancers and did want me sullying their reputation. Talk about balls.

This particular incident wasn’t even about copyright infringement of the written word, but of the idea, and creative thought. They got caught copying my ideas, (and a hell of a lot of my text) and knew that further exposure was going to leave a mark.

So yes, one CAN fight it, but if it’s just about the money, forget it, you’re generally lucky to break even. If it’s about personal pride of workmanship, reputation, then it’s up to you how much those are worth to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom