Stopping Silicone Masks from Yellowing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PepperDM

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any tricks to not only stop your silicone mask from turning yellow but how to bring it back to a clean and clear state after it has turned.

I finger scrub my clear skirted mask with dish washing liquid after every use and that keeps it nice and clean. I don't know if it would work with an older mask (or snorkel in your case) because I have done mine fairly regularly since I got it. Doesn't hurt to give it a go though :)

1. Store it in a clear plastic case to keep it away from any items that may bleed color into it
2. Keep it away from any neoprene rubber products as they will yellow it
3. Keep it clean (oils on your skin, sun tan lotion etc, are the kiss of death if not removed on a frequent basis)
4. Keep it out of the sun
5. Buy a black silicone mask or clear acrylic mask in the first place and don't worry about 1-4.

A black silicone mask will be just as comfortable, reflect less light near the surface and will look great for at least the next decade. In my opinion the only advantage to a clear silicone mask is that it does a better job of lighting the models face when you are tqaking pictures of your buddy underwater.

Acrylic takes a hit from many people as it is "cheaper" than silicone, but it does stay clear if you want a clear skirted mask and I have seen some nice acrylic skirted masks.

Does anyone have any tricks to not only stop your silicone mask from turning yellow but how to bring it back to a clean and clear state after it has turned.

DA Aquamaster has the info on keeping it clear for as long as possible.

As far as turning it clear once it has yellowed, you're pretty much out of luck.

If the mask is still in production, you could buy a replacement skirt and keep it until you need it.

Terry

Unfortunately that's pretty much what I thought but figured it was worth a try, ya never know. I was going through some old boxes yesterday and found two masks that were pretty yellowed from being stored for the last 6-7 years.

I generally use silicone as I have a moustache and seem to not get as goog of a seal with acrilic masks.

I have no idea why I said this before. Please disregard :lotsalove:

:lotsalove: :rofl3: Well I was kind of wondering but it was three in the morning so I decided to just go to bed. Thanks for the reply though.....

Why does it matter? A yellow skirt works just as well as a clear one.

:lotsalove: :rofl3: Well I was kind of wondering but it was three in the morning so I decided to just go to bed. Thanks for the reply though.....
I read it about 5 times myself trying to figure out the snorkel thing this morning, but gave up and went to work.

Back
Top Bottom