Storing equipment in bags question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvrle1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What is the general rule when it comes to storing equipment in the bags? For example keeping dry suit in the dry suit bag, regulator in reg bag, etc.

I read somewhere that for example dry suit should not be kept in it's bag, even if it's packed properly, and instead should be hanging and unpacked. Same thing with regs (hoses are apparently too tightly wrapped when in the bag)

Thanks

My gear lives in bins out in the garage always ready to go.

DUI says keep their drysuits in a bag. Keep everything clean and stowed in a dark place with no ozone around. Protect the latex seals and zipper. The zipper remains unzipped. Regulators and hoses should be stored in a similar manner. Kinking the hoses is obviously not good for them.

Our stuff stays in bags and/or folded in vehicles 24-7-365 and it lasts for a lot of years.

Gary D.

What is the general rule when it comes to storing equipment in the bags? For example keeping dry suit in the dry suit bag, regulator in reg bag, etc. I read somewhere that for example dry suit should not be kept in it's bag, even if it's packed properly, and instead should be hanging and unpacked.
The manual for my drysuit (Bare XCD Tech) specifically said NOT to hang it up, but to roll it loosely and store it in its bag (zipper open).

FWIW, I store everything except wetsuits in big rubbermaid plastic tubs (with lids) in my guest room closet. Some stuff is within bags in those tubs. The drysuit is within a bag, which is within a bag, which is in the tub. Hoses are just sitting on top of everything else - not really rolled up at all. Wetsuits are on a hanger (thick wood) and hanging in the closet.

Cheers!
nd

The stuff has be dry before it is put away.

Generally speaking, you don't want things stored wrapped up tightly, e.g., don't store regulator hoses coiled up tightly in a regulator bag.

BC bladders and SMBs should be blown up slightly, not rolled tightly.

Other than that, it's okay to store stuff in bags.

Great. Thanks everyone for quick responses. Dry suit is currently rolled up loosely, zipper open, inside the bag, and regs are in the bag as well (loosely coiled)

I just wanted to make sure that there would not be problems with me storing and keeping them this way.

I hung my Drysuit up over the summer in a shed with a tin roof.... not a good idea as it gets to about 45'c here in summer, now i need a replacement neck seal and both wrists due to perishing of the rubber, so lesson learnt there, last year i bagged it loosely and put it in a compartment under the bed, no problems then.

Just about everything else (apart from wetsuits and BCD as i keep them at the dive centre) is bagged up in net bags

I keep all my suff except regs in a Tourister roller bag, ready to go at a moment's notice. Regs are hanging in the closet. Wetsuits cleaned, dried, deodorized and stuffed into very large freezer bags. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom