Storing my Whites Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there some compelling reason to store the drysuit zipper in a "closed" state?

The reason I was given was that there is less of a chance of the zipper being damaged when closed versus open, which makes sense.

Here's what I do. It has kept my Fusion in spectacular shape.

First I empty my pockets of stuff like wetnotes, spare mask, spools, etc.

Then, a couple-three drops of Seal Saver inside a wrist seal. I stick two fingers inside the seal and smear the Seal Saver around, then use what's left on my fingers to wipe down the outside of the seal.

Then, with the zipper open, I'll drizzle about 4 drops of Seal Saver on the inside of the neck seal, and use a couple of fingers to smear it around, paying special attention to the cut part of the seal that touches my neck, making sure it's well coated.

Flipping the neck seal around, I'll do the same on the outside.

Next, I place the hanger inside the suit, with the hook through the neck seal. The suspenders are just flopping around in the suit and not on the hanger. I zip the dry zipper closed, leave the outside (conventional) zipper undone, and hang it up.

After hanging, I run zipper wax over both sides of the dry zipper.

This all takes about 5 minutes, tops. Hung like this in 70-85 degree temps, with 30% humidity, the inside of the suit will dry through the neck & wrist seals in a day. Colder, I have to bring it indoors.

All the best, James

The reason I was given was that there is less of a chance of the zipper being damaged when closed versus open, which makes sense.
My drysuit manuals have specified that long-term storage of the drysuit should involve storing the zipper in an "open" state.

The possibility of zipper damage is removed so long as you don't store anything on top of the suit and protect it from heavy items falling onto it. If the drysuit is stored inside a dedicated Rubbermaid bin, I don't see how anything could damage the zipper.

For short-term storage, I don't see any difference between storing the drysuit with the zipper open or closed, provided that the drysuit is thoroughly dried prior to storage or the neck/wrist areas allow air to enter/exit the suit. Something to keep in mind is that, theoretically, zipping/unzipping the zipper will increase wear-and-tear, which would decrease the overall lifespan of the zipper.

While transporting the suit, I generally keep the zipper in a "closed" state as this offers more protection to the zipper.

FYI, the official Fusion drysuit owner's manual recommends the following with regard to storage and zipper position:
  • While drying, hang suit on drysuit hanger and keep zipper halfway open to avoid zipper damage and allow air flow.
  • For short-term storage, roll the suit starting at feet with zipper down. The zipper should be closed if there is a risk of bending the zipper (i.e., transporting).
  • For long-term storage, roll the suit starting at feet with zipper down. The zipper should remain open if there's no risk of bending the zipper.

Last edited:
My drysuit manuals have specified that long-term storage of the drysuit should involve storing the zipper in an "open" state.

The possibility of zipper damage is removed so long as you don't store anything on top of the suit and protect it from heavy items falling onto it. If the drysuit is stored inside a dedicated Rubbermaid bin, I don't see how anything could damage the zipper.

Agreed, and it is really a moot point since there is very little airflow in a closed container. So open or closed, there is not much air exchange. I worry about the unexpected, like things falling on it, or catching the open zipper on something when moving the suit. I can be clumsy at times.

-For short-term storage, I don't see any difference between storing the drysuit with the zipper open or closed, provided that the drysuit is thoroughly dried prior to storage or the neck/wrist areas allow air to enter/exit the suit. Something to keep in mind is that, theoretically, zipping/unzipping the zipper will increase wear-and-tear, which would decrease the overall lifespan of the zipper.

True, but I unzip it to get out of the suit, then rezip it to rinse it down. It stays zipped. If you do the same, then have to open it for storage, I have one less zip. Of course it all evens out when I have to open it to put it on :D

While transporting the suit, I generally keep the zipper in a "closed" state as this offers more protection to the zipper.

FYI, the official Fusion drysuit owner's manual recommends the following with regard to storage and zipper position:
  • While drying, hang suit on drysuit hanger and keep zipper halfway open to avoid zipper damage and allow air flow.

This cracks me up. Which side of the zipper does it protect, the open or the closed? Or is there a magic force field when it is open half way!:D

True, but I unzip it to get out of the suit, then rezip it to rinse it down. It stays zipped. If you do the same, then have to open it for storage, I have one less zip. Of course it all evens out when I have to open it to put it on :D
We have showers where I dive locally. The zipper gets rinsed after I exit the water and doff my rig. For the same number of dives, I'd be willing to bet that I have fewer zipper "pulls" on my drysuit than you do on yours. :D
This cracks me up. Which side of the zipper does it protect, the open or the closed? Or is there a magic force field when it is open half way!:D
I suspect that Whites made that recommendation to reduce strain on the zipper while hanging from a hanger. Due to the location of the zipper (in a U-shape below/around the front of the neck), if the hanger doesn't have long enough arms, I could see that the ends of the zipper might be subjected to excessive pulling force. Zipping it halfway ensures that the two sides stay relatively close to one another, which prevents the ends of the zipper from being pulled in two different directions.

On a side note, don't people read instruction manuals anymore?

Last edited:
...........On a side note, don't people read instruction manuals anymore?

:rtfm: :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Yes, but it doesn't always mean it is the best method.

Yes, but it doesn't always mean it is the best method.
I'll concede that there may be other factors (legal issues, insurance/liability, profit motive) that influence what a company decides to include in the instruction manual. Still, it's a pretty good place to start...followed by a sanity check...and then perhaps polling the "experts" on ScubaBoard. :wink:

I'll concede that there may be other factors (legal issues, insurance/liability, profit motive) that influence what a company decides to include in the instruction manual. Still, it's a pretty good place to start...followed by a sanity check...and then perhaps polling the "experts" on ScubaBoard. :wink:

3rd billing? Blasphemy! :rofl3:

I'm currently storing mine rolled up (face down start) then bagged and zipping the outer zip up but leaving the inner dry zip unzipped.

Had nothing to go by for info so seemed best option.....

Back
Top Bottom