Stranded diver says no to aerial rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What an idiot.

Technically he did not need the rescue... The boat did... So, he could refuse it.... But still, what an idiot...

I know of several people who are so utterly terrified of heights they wouldnt accept a helicopter winch. Different people have different fears - some would never submerge themselves in water even if their life depended on it for example.

I can think of a few mountain rescue incidents here were upon locating a casualty the casualty then refused an air lift and chose instead to walk out with the MRTs.

My wife is extremely terrified of heights. While riding a lift between the upper parking lot and a local amusement park, my wife dug her finger nails into my skin so deep that I nearly had to have stitches. I never would ask her to do it again. People have heart attacks from their fears (you know...scared to death), so hardly consider that person an idiot, at least from his perspective.

As it was stated the boat needed the rescue not him. Nowhere did it say he was in danger of drifting away. So why should he have done something that scared him? To him it probably looked as if this fellow :reaper: were coming for him. If I were in his wetsuit, (which I'm not - I love skydiving) I would have told them to piss off as well. Heck on Fear Factor those fearless people are always chickening out and this fellow had nothing to gain by dangling from the helicopter.

No I think idiot fits, its a characteristic of a weak mind to not be able to push your fears aside and just do something that needs to be done.

Being afraid is not a problem, being unable to act because of it is.

Maybe he was writing the script to "Open Water 2"

84CJ7:
No I think idiot fits, its a characteristic of a weak mind to not be able to push your fears aside and just do something that needs to be done.

Being afraid is not a problem, being unable to act because of it is.

And where did it NEED to be done ? This wasnt a life or death situation.

Back
Top Bottom