Stranded diver says no to aerial rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84CJ7:
No I think idiot fits, its a characteristic of a weak mind to not be able to push your fears aside and just do something that needs to be done.

Being afraid is not a problem, being unable to act because of it is.

Did you even bother to read the story? Try it. You may have a more ... "well thought out" comment.

Idiot doesn't fit.

IDIOT:

1. A foolish or stupid person.
2. A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

Sea ya!

84CJ7:
No I think idiot fits, its a characteristic of a weak mind to not be able to push your fears aside and just do something that needs to be done.

Being afraid is not a problem, being unable to act because of it is.

He did act. Once he knew where the boat was, he swam towards it. Just because he chose the less obvious route (to you) doesn't mean that he's an idiot.

Swimming towards a destination vs. having a helicopter pull me out of the water - I'd swim. Because I love the water and am not afraid of it, and I am terrified of heights. If I were drowning, the situation would be different. Perhaps if this guy were drowning he would have accepted the helicopter ride.

jeckyll:
Did you even bother to read the story? Try it. You may have a more ... "well thought out" comment.

Young and stupid with a lot to learn

String:
I can think of a few mountain rescue incidents here were upon locating a casualty the casualty then refused an air lift and chose instead to walk out with the MRTs.

I've seen this too. Not unusual. In some cases (depending on medical need) if you explain the consequences, the person may suck it up and take the ride.

So, if you factor in that he didn't really need to be rescued, he made the right choice.

It didn't sound like the problem was of the diver's making, i.e. the boat had an engine problem while he was diving. The diver wasn't drowning or lost. A person, assuming basic capacity to make decisions for himself or herself, can choose to refuse offers of aid, even if to others the refusal seems ridiculous. I do not think the authorities should or will charge him for the expense of the helicopter. If someone calls for help, for instance by activating a PLB, and then refuses aid, they may as well start writing the check.

DennisW:
What an idiot.
Oh, I don't know about that. If I could take a helo or a boat I'd take a boat every time. But then I have considerable experience with both.
Rick :)

Rick Murchison:
Oh, I don't know about that. If I could take a helo or a boat I'd take a boat every time. But then I have considerable experience with both.
Rick :)

Rick,

You probably have more experience than I do in both, but I also have a lot of experience in both modes of transportation. I have gone down in a helicopter and I have taken boat rides in heavy seas. I would have taken the helicopter ride. If both were there at the same time, it would depend on which was easier to get on.

I vote helo! But what else would you expect from me...... The guy missed the ride of his life!!! Swim to a boat.....anyone can do that. I would expect a diver to have more of a sense of adventure!

But then again....afraid of heights is a tough thing to overcome! :D

Back
Top Bottom