Stranded Pilot Whales need your help in Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Five stranded pilot whales arrived this morning at the Marine Mammal Conservancy where they are being kept alive by volunteers who keep their blowholes above the water. Each whale is supported by 4 volunteers.

Five stranded pilot whales delivered to Key Largo rehab facility - Florida Keys - MiamiHerald.com

The Marine Mammal Conservancy, located at MM 102.2 Bayside needs many more volunteers to work 4 hour shifts throughout the weekend. Most critical demand is at night. Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age. Volunteers need foot-protection (booties, watershoes, sneakers) & wetsuits (There are loaner wetsuits available.) Although there are tarps to protect from the sun, please bring hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen (faces only so it doesn't rub or washoff onto the whales). There is a camping shower set-up so you can shower off at the end of your shift if you desire.

www.marinemammelconservancy.org

You can find out more by calling 305-451-4774 (be patient, the Stranding Coordinators are busy). In the next day or so, an online volunteer sign-up program will be re-activated at www.marinemammelconservancy.org.

Additionally, donations are needed, not only financial, but immediately food & beverages for the volunteers and other supplies. The MMC can always use donated wetsuits if you have old ones around no longer in use.

Keep watching this thread for more information and for photos as mselenaous and I head out to spend the evening with the pilot whales.

Thanks for posting this.

Their voicemail is full. Emailed them that I and a buddy will be in the Keys this weekend to dive the Eagle and Vandy...no sense in not grabbing a 4 hour stint with the whales if they need us in the off time. I'll post when and how they respond.

Do you have an idea of how long they'll need assistance/volunteers? Will be in Key Largo the weekend of the 20-22 and might be able to assist...

They might be doing this for MONTHS. It's up to the Pilot Whales. They are going to need a LOT of volunteers to keep up this pace.

Whale report. Elena and I were asked to help out tonight as they don't have enough help. In a word? Wow.

Elena and I buddied up with Whale #301, whom we affectionately called "Samba". At 275 pounds, she is a calf and the smallest in this pod. It's important to grip any cetacean correctly. First, the safe place is behind the blowhole and in front of the end of the dorsal fin. One hand holds onto the base of the pectoral fin, right by the body. The other hand holds onto the front base of the dorsal fin. The back of the dorsal fin is too fragile to hold. Now it becomes a balancing act between you, the whale and your partner. Tilt the whale a bit off center, and it has to counter that with it's tail. It takes just a short time of them holding that tail in a steady position for it to go into a spasm. It can actually cause scoliosis. When the whale is relaxed and their blowhole is above water, you're doing half your job.

The other half of your job is to keep them wet. You can't splash them or be too aggressive. They're scared enough and you don't want to startle them. Instead, you scoop the water gently over their body. Of course, before you get water near their blowhole, you have to let them have a full breath first and be certain that the hole is closed off.

It's easier than it sounds and there is a staffer there to help you when you make mistakes. They don't yell, they just simply instruct without blame. They are great.

Here's the cool part: you really get to know your marine buddy. She talked and sang the whole time. There she is, right in my arms and she's trying to communicate. If not with us, she is talking to the pod and they're talking back. It's truly remarkable and it's an amazing "dive" without ever getting my head under water.

Mind you, this is not a "Swim with the Dolphins" experience. It's work. We came out cold and our muscles ached. One of the whales weighs in at 1,750 pounds, and you have to balance that horse just like Elena and I balanced our svelte 275 pound "baby". Don't expect a lot of picture taking. It's really not meant to be a photo op: it's serious business. We did get to see them feed the whales. That was an endeavor just by itself. We were in the water about 2.5 hours tonight, and we'll be back tomorrow at 8:00 am. Hope to see you there.

As for how long they will need help? It will be at least a week or more of 24 hr/day support. I overheard the staff talking about ordering quantities of special feeding supplements that would last 30-35 days.

Bilsant, you won't regret it.

It was amazing to hug such a huge creature that can't survive without our help. Pete and I spent 2 hours holding up the "baby" twice my length. The "teen" whale next to ours was 1750 lbs, 11.5 ft long. You can feel them tense up when their surroundings or people change, and you can feel them relax in your arms. Beware of the halitosis.

ANYONE (over 5 ft tall) who can don a donated wetsuit (or bring your own) and stand in chest deep water very still and quiet for a couple hours holding up these whales CAN and SHOULD volunteer.

Not sure how long they'll need the help, but I'm now scheduled for Thursday and Saturday mornings. They answered the phone when I called a few minutes ago.
I got your PM and will relay your info to them. DO NOT BE SURPRISED IF THEY DON'T ANSWER! It's not that they don't want your help, it's that they are so overwhelmed with this number of whales. Your best bet is to show up in a bathing suit and with your wetsuit and booties ready to get in. This is a volunteer driven organization and they only have so much energy and time.

Thanks for posting this. I am able to help. Going down for Fri morning shift.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom