Strange noise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The noise you are hearing is perfectly fine. It's caused by the small stream of bubbles escaping from your 1st stage. The Sherwood first stage is balanced with air from your cylinder as opposed to water entering a balancing chamber. In order to accomplish this it has to allow a small bit of air to escape in order to keep the system from locking up.

When functioning properly the amount of air that should escape from an average aluminmum 80 is less than enough air to fill a cup over the time of an average dive.

Thoughts/possibilities/speculation.

1. If the sound is with different tanks, I would rule out tanks.

2. As a new diver, any possibility of you being grossly overweighted? The overpressure relief valve of the bc can scream something awful when working.

3. Ist stage of reg - see below.

Mike Boswell - If I had to guess at the offending reg, I would say an Oceanic with DVT. I have one with the metallic clanging. Sometimes it actually sounds like a chime. One of these days I am going to take it real deep and see if the music changes to a hymn .....'Nearer to thee.......'

The noise you are hearing is perfectly fine. It's caused by the small stream of bubbles escaping from your 1st stage. The Sherwood first stage is balanced with air from your cylinder as opposed to water entering a balancing chamber. In order to accomplish this it has to allow a small bit of air to escape in order to keep the system from locking up.

When functioning properly the amount of air that should escape from an average aluminmum 80 is less than enough air to fill a cup over the time of an average dive.

No, No, No. I have dove a Sherwood reg for years, and my daughter dives one. There has NEVER been a sound as a result of the dry-bleed pressure system.

I keep hearing a strange sound coming from my BC/tank. The best way I can describe it is that sounds like the prop of boat going by while you are under water. The first few times I thought it was so I didn't think twice about it. This trip I was diving with a different person and they heard it too.

Maybe it's excess flatulence.

Try going for a swim without any gear.

If you still hear the noise, then I pegged it.

The cure would be a change in diet.

Thoughts/possibilities/speculation.

1. If the sound is with different tanks, I would rule out tanks.

2. As a new diver, any possibility of you being grossly overweighted? The overpressure relief valve of the bc can scream something awful when working.

3. Ist stage of reg - see below.

Mike Boswell - If I had to guess at the offending reg, I would say an Oceanic with DVT. I have one with the metallic clanging. Sometimes it actually sounds like a chime. One of these days I am going to take it real deep and see if the music changes to a hymn .....'Nearer to thee.......'[/QUOTE

Sound is with different tanks. I use 6 lbs of weight. Is that considered a lot? I'm 125lbs. Still need a lot of work on my buoyancy and not breathing so much.

Off hand, 6lbs does not sound like a lot, but a lot depends on body build and mass. Also, depends on the tanks that you are using, steel being negative even when empty. Then there are the large steels - 108 and 120 cf. Also, sea or fresh water? I've seen divers that don't need any weights in the sea and with aluminium tanks.

If at depth you need a lot of air in your bc, and don't bleed off (quick enough) on ascent the expanding air could cause the overpressure relief valve to work. Usually though this should result in an uncontrolled ascent unless you are really over weight.

In addition to checking your weighting, I would just get the reg serviced. Maybe the 1st stage just needs a lube job.

My Oceanic EOS makes no noise while diving. The 1st stage is an FDX10 and is completely quiet. I don't think the DVT would be responsible...

FYI I was Shewood's Technical Support director for some years. If you aren't wearing a hood or in calm conditions the "whining" sound can easily be heard. In fact it's a common question I'd field from new users on a fairly consistent basis.

I even had a resort operator phone me from Central America one time as he was panic'd over being able to not only see the bubbles but hear the whining sound as they escaped. You may not hear it from yours, which is not unusual, but it is fairly important to the operation of the regulator that you at least see the small stream of bubbles. This means the reg is balanced and operating correctly.

Back
Top Bottom