Streamlined Gear for AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haven't worked up the courage yet

and it works real good as a wreck deflector

and laughing makes people happy

Reactions: Doc
I'd recommend utilizing a crotch strap D ring (on your butt below the tank) for your smb and reel. It'll keep it out of the way so you don't have danglies and allow you to easily access it. You can also attach your flashlights to D rings on your chest and use cut bike inner tube to keep it there. Most bike places throw popped/used ones away but if you call and ask you can get it for free and most of it will still be usable.

SPG on left hip D-ring, or alternately clipped off on left shoulder D-ring.
Compass on left wrist.
Computer on Right wrist.
Loses the console entirely with above suggestions.
Don’t use any retractors, they are not needed and are clutter. All I’ve ever seen them do is get hung up on stuff.
For regs, use a Long hose on 40” hose run under right arm with swivel connector on 2nd stage for primary, and bungeed octo under chin on 18”-22” hose.
Or,
Air2 with 40” primary under arm with swivel. Both of the above are primary donate. A lot of people trash talk Air2’s but If you know how to use one they are fine.
A BC that is not too complicated and fairly simple that is not too padded and bulky and/or sticks out everywhere, or BP/W.
Don’t have anything dangling and keep your frontside clean. Any lights etc. keep tucked against your body with bungees/innertube etc.
Keep accessories to a minimum.
A good rule is that if you don’t need it don’t take it.
Use fins that have a single stretchy strap such as spring straps or thick solid rubber or thick bungee, and no folding or latching buckles. Anything that can get hooked and undone will, that’s just the rule of the ocean.

Someone else suggested in a PM that I put my SMB behind my BC bladder so I'll play around with that as well and see if I can still access it. My bladder is bulky so it would be good to get the SMB in its slipstream. For my upcoming trip I'll hold off on the Air2 type setup, and try for the neck octo. Also, under arm hose and swivel is probably my next change. As far as safety/informing/panic situations, do you color your primary yellow in any way to indicate that it's the one that someone should take?

SPG on left hip D-ring, or alternately clipped off on left shoulder D-ring.
Compass on left wrist.
Computer on Right wrist.
Loses the console entirely with above suggestions.
Don’t use any retractors, they are not needed and are clutter. All I’ve ever seen them do is get hung up on stuff.
Don’t have anything dangling and keep your frontside clean. Any lights etc. keep tucked against your body with bungees/innertube etc.
Keep accessories to a minimum.
A good rule is that if you don’t need it don’t take it.
Anything that can get hooked and undone will, that’s just the rule of the ocean.

You can do this now........the now-er the better.

As far as safety/informing/panic situations, do you color your primary yellow in any way to indicate that it's the one that someone should take?

No. You do need to explain for your team that your procedure is different that their training. No need to change colors.

You need to spend time getting comfortable with reg switching underwater. Good practice anyway, but essential if you are planning on donating your primary. It needs to be second nature.

Retractors actually cause things to hang down when you’re horizontal in the water and they add bulk and clutter.

An Air 2 might seem like less clutter, but it’s not. It just moves the clutter from one place to another. Stick with a standard octopus and just secure it properly. Due to its weight, an A2 will dangle quite a bit, unless it’s secured down near the reg.

Octopus is clipped off in front, but use one of those $2 plastic breakaway clips on your right d-ring to keep the hose tight against your side.

Put your SPG on a shorter hose and use a bolt snap to the left hip d-ring. I have no idea why manufacturers use such long hoses. If you do keep the stock hose, you can clip it to the chest and again use a breakaway clip on the left d-ring to keep the hose in tight.

Don’t clip anything to those loose BC adjusting straps that have d-rings on the end of them. Because however long that strap is how far that item will dangle when you’re horizontal.

I know it sounds basic. When you’re in the water, look down. Is anything hanging or sticking out? It’s amazing the number of divers with stuff sticking out or dragging. Could you swim thru an open window on a shipwreck without something getting hung up?

I took AOW in a standard BC and was streamlined with no dangles. It can be done.

Is that an arm tablet on your console? I hadn't thought of that.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Clipped to my chest
the console is my which crevice to squeeze through meter
If I can't wriggle through on the way back it gets unclipped

Hate to say but those pictures look like a gypsy wagon.......not streamlined at all.....but to each their own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom