Strobe Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmart64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an S80 that I have used a few times on recent dive trips and am considering a strobe set up for it. I was wondering if the resident experts :D could provide me with some insight on what type of set up would work well on this camera and a list of the components I will need. I will probably only use it for a few trip a year, so I don't want to spend a fortune, but would still like to make sure it is adequate for good pictures.

Thanks
Joe

jmart64:
I have an S80 that I have used a few times on recent dive trips and am considering a strobe set up for it. I was wondering if the resident experts :D could provide me with some insight on what type of set up would work well on this camera and a list of the components I will need. I will probably only use it for a few trip a year, so I don't want to spend a fortune, but would still like to make sure it is adequate for good pictures.

Thanks
Joe
Best of luck with the S80 it's a really nice camera! I used Ikelite strobes for 15 years but Inon blows them away.

I'd go with Inon.

You can contact Ryan at ryan@reefphoto.com - he's great. Really knows his stuff and listens to what you need rather than trying to push and hard sell stuff you'll never use.

HI;

You have a nice camera, just like me ... :)

I have since a few weeks experience with strobes, an epoque 150 alpha, and epoque 230S auto; just about the cheapest strobes around. I started with the 150; which is a manual adjust strobe, with very much power (it has the same output as a DX-90, which is 2-3 times the price). It is nicely compact,and travels well. Just 2 penlite batteries needed. You need the apha version; since it has the redisigned battery compartment door; which is very sturdy bnow. With this one strobe I did get good pictures, whith the strobe offset to te left of the camera. I did see now harder shadows because of this. I bougt a second strobe, the 230 auto, which is now the main flash. It is triggered via a fibreoptical cable which is very relyable and rugged.
The 150 now acts as a fill in slave for the 230, and I do get indeed no hard shadows anymore. I also have the Epoque stay and arms, which are simple but effective. For aiming I do use small lights, which I start to like, especially at night dives.

I show you examples:

In this picture I used the 2 strobes simultaneously. There is relatively little shadow.
baarsje%20compressed.jpg

In this picture I use only the 150 DS-alpha. I did not have a the diffuser cap. It shows the light comes from 1 side, which creates more shadow. I need to flash from a side as it eliminates the backscatter that we have here in the Netherlands, since there are lots of particles in the water which give the reflection as if there was snow...
kreeft%20compressed.jpg

Kind regards from The Netherlands

KARELNIJEBOER:
HI;

You have a nice camera, just like me ... :)

I have since a few weeks experience with strobes, an epoque 150 alpha, and epoque 230S auto; just about the cheapest strobes around. I started with the 150; which is a manual adjust strobe, with very much power (it has the same output as a DX-90, which is 2-3 times the price). It is nicely compact,and travels well. Just 2 penlite batteries needed. You need the apha version; since it has the redisigned battery compartment door; which is very sturdy bnow. With this one strobe I did get good pictures, whith the strobe offset to te left of the camera. I did see now harder shadows because of this. I bougt a second strobe, the 230 auto, which is now the main flash. It is triggered via a fibreoptical cable which is very relyable and rugged.
The 150 now acts as a fill in slave for the 230, and I do get indeed no hard shadows anymore. I also have the Epoque stay and arms, which are simple but effective. For aiming I do use small lights, which I start to like, especially at night dives.

I show you examples:

In this picture I used the 2 strobes simultaneously. There is relatively little shadow.
baarsje%20compressed.jpg

In this picture I use only the 150 DS-alpha. I did not have a the diffuser cap. It shows the light comes from 1 side, which creates more shadow. I need to flash from a side as it eliminates the backscatter that we have here in the Netherlands, since there are lots of particles in the water which give the reflection as if there was snow...
kreeft%20compressed.jpg

Kind regards from The Netherlands

fixed Karel:D
baarsje%20compressed.jpg

kreeft%20compressed.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom