Strobe Thoughts: Inon S-2000 or Ikelite DS-161?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SF Diver MT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am stuck trying to decide between two strobes to go with my Canon S-90 and Ikelite housing.

The Inon S-2000 setup would run me $791 for my housing and the Ikelite DS-161 would total $1,190 from Backscatter. Based on the underwater strobe comparison posted on Digital Diver the two strobes look fairly similar.

Inon S-2000:
GN: 20 (Air)
Color Temp: 5500 ° Kelvin
Coverage 95° H x 105° V/ (with diffuser 105/105).
Flashes per charge: 450
Recycle Time: 1.5 seconds
Size: 3.27 x 2.52 x 4.17 in
Weight: 0.65 lb. (Air)
Rated to: 328 ft.
Manual Settings: 12
No movie or focus light.

Ikelite DS-161:
GN: 24 (Air)
Energy: 160 watt-sec.
Color Temp: 4500 ° Kelvin
Coverage 100° H x 100° V
Flashes per charge: 225 (Proprietary Battery).
Recycle Time: 1.5 seconds
Size: 3.78 x 3.78 x 7.05 in
Weight: 2.87 lb. (Air)
Manual Settings: 10
Both a movie and focus light.

Thus, the Inon is lighter and will be easier to transport but lacks a focus light (which I have heard is not necessary) and has no movie light. I will start shooting macro but want to have the ability to shoot wide angle in the future.

I would rather purchase the cheaper Inon and save $400 but am worried about outgrowing the Inon and then someday having to purchase a larger light to capture wide angle shots. Does anyone have any advice or can provide any feedback on shooting with either of these strobes? If so, is one strobe sufficient or do most UW photographers out there always shoot with two?

I am also considering an Ikelite W-20 Wide-Angle Conversion lens for wide angle shots. Has anyone used this lens and can provide feedback? I don't want to purchase one of these strobes and then end up having to post to the "what's the piece of equipment that you have most regretted" thread.

Thanks!

SF_Diver MT,
you can't use the Ikelite DS-161 without purchasing the EV Controller too.
The Ikelite DS-160/161 is a electrical triggered strobe needing a bulkhead and a hotshoe on the camera for the cable or the EV Controller what reads the flash from the S90's strobe and triggers the DS-160/161.
Manual Strobe Controller
The Ikelite is the better strobe BUT it makes no sense to use it on a non bulkheaded housing as the external controller and the cable connection is a potential source of failure and you gain almost nothing. The DS-125/160/161/200 series Strobes are excellent and very powerful strobes, but they makes sense only with a housing providing electrical connection.

The S-2000 is a sweet, small strobe, but as you discovered it lacks of focus light, wile other differences to the D-2000 is less power (not verified), lack of EA-Mode and it can be tricky to use with gloves on.
I personally would suggest the Inon D-2000 strobe.

Chris

The Ikelite DS-160/161 is a electrical triggered strobe needing a bulkhead and a hotshoe on the camera for the cable or the EV Controller what reads the flash from the S90's strobe and triggers the DS-160/161.
Manual Strobe Controller
The Ikelite is the better strobe BUT it makes no sense to use it on a non bulkheaded housing as the external controller and the cable connection is a potential source of failure and you gain almost nothing. The DS-125/160/161/200 series Strobes are excellent and very powerful strobes, but they makes sense only with a housing providing electrical connection.

Another thing to consider is what's included in each purchase?

Well the above opinion is valid for some, but not the only opinion. An Ike Strobe with Controller on a well designed tray will work with many cameras, and in the future there may be other cameras in the OP's quiver. My SS200 has worked with all my underwater rigs; Nikonus V, Nikonus RS, Oly 5050 and Canon S70. It would also work with the S90 and my 20D if I chose to house it.

Before still cameras had video capabilities, the "movie" light was called a modeling light, and it is more than capable of being the primary light on a night dive and really helps when shooting into dark nooks and crannies during a day dive. I spent $1200 on my first SS200 Photo Case and that is one of my all time best investments in camera equipment (still using it nearly 10 years later).

Finally, if you look at the rig below, I can take the camera off the tray, unscrew the WAL, remove the flash shield and stick the stock housing into tight holes and cracks to get shots a bulkhead system could not do, and then reassemble, all during the dive, so a non-bulkhead Ike does make sense for some of us. :)

If you only have enough money for the INON, that is the main reason I would say get the INON. :idk:

Thanks for the advice. The quote I got is as follows:

The Inon S-2000:

Inon S-2000 strobe
1 at $459.00 = $459.00

Ultralight Inon Strobe Adapter
1 at $24.95 = $24.95

Ultralight New Style Clamp (15 degrees side movement)
2 at $29.95 = $59.90

Ultralight 5" Double Ball Arm
1 at $47.95 = $47.95

Ultralight Base Adaptor for NEW Ikelite SLR Release Hndl.
1 at $23.95 = $23.95

Inon Optical D Cable
1 at $75.00 = $75.00

Xit 404 Inon to Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Adapter
1 at $19.00 = $19.00

Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Sync Cord L-Type (ys-110a)
1 at $80.00 = $80.00

The Ikelite DS-161:

Ikelite Substrobe DS-161
kit with charger, arm & single sync cord
1 at $1,186.95 = $1,186.95

So, it looks like I would additionally need to purchase the manual controller if I go with the Ike strobe.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on a strobe that I could get good results with and not have to upgrade in the near future? I would like to get one for under $1000.

Thanks.

To be honest, you cant really compare the 161 with the S-2000, the 161 is in another league and would better be compared with a Z240 Inon. I dont have experience with the 161 but have read that people have been dissapointed with the power of the 'video' light, saying it was far to weak.

An almost direct comparison with the S-2000 would be the Sea and Sea YS-01 which has a led focus light and is small and compact with the same GN as the INON. I am in the same boat and have been shopping for strobed for some time. If I dont pick up 2x 110's second hand I am going with the YS-01's

Ikelite wide angle... is good but I have done a ton of research and will be going with the Inon 165 wide AD lens and use a 67mm to AD adpater from 10 bar. As far as I can tell the Inon is superior optically.

I would like to chime in here and ask someone to clarify what is being said here, and in few other posts on Scubaboard. It seems that it is being implied that if you get the Ikelite housing for the S90, that you CAN'T use an optical cable with a strobe that uses STTL or TTL, and that one would NEED to use the Ikelite EV Controller ?

@ Muzikbiz22,
you have to use a optical cable because the S90 housing has no electrical connection (bulkhead) because the S90 have no hotshoe.
Using the DS-160/161/200 strobe you will need a EV Controller because this strobes are electrically triggered strobes and you need the EV Controller to trigger them.
Any optical triggered strobe will work with the Ikelite S90 housing without the EV Controller.

SF_Diver_MT:
I would strongly suggest the D2000 as it has EA Mode, has 2 strobe tubes and it feels stronger than the S-2000.

Chris

Thanks for clarifying, and that's what I thought ! I'm getting the Ikelite housing (S90) shortly, and I think I'm going to go with the Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe. Haven't decided on which WA or Fisheye lens to go with yet. So many options (and opinions) there ! At any rate, thanks again for clarifying, and for all the informative posts ! These forums are such a great resource.

If you are interested in potentially growing the system look at the Inon z240. Both optical and electrical sync, with a modeling light. Comparable power to the Ike 161 and you can get sttl out of the box without having to use an external controller. Very nice strobes and quite compact. One big advantage is that they use AA batteries so you don't need spare batteries and chargers on trips. I personally dislike proprietary battery systems and look for AA powered gizmos where possible.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom