Strobe Thoughts: Inon S-2000 or Ikelite DS-161?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not bother with the ULCS arms and tray.

I would get a tray/arms from Jack Connick @ Camera Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & More! - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

His are very good and well priced. They have lasted me a long time now with no complaints.

I would humbly disagree. Jack is a good guy and very active on Scubaboard but the quality of the ULCS arms particularly the balls and especially the clamps is far better. I have some of the low cost clamps and they are both harder to turn and clamp less well than the ULCS gear. The ULCS clamps allow you to have the clamp hold a big strobe but still easily adjust.

I have no affiliation with ULCS other than as a happy user.
Bill

SF_Diver MT,
you can't use the Ikelite DS-161 without purchasing the EV Controller too.
The Ikelite DS-160/161 is a electrical triggered strobe needing a bulkhead and a hotshoe on the camera for the cable or the EV Controller what reads the flash from the S90's strobe and triggers the DS-160/161.
Manual Strobe Controller
The Ikelite is the better strobe BUT it makes no sense to use it on a non bulkheaded housing as the external controller and the cable connection is a potential source of failure and you gain almost nothing. The DS-125/160/161/200 series Strobes are excellent and very powerful strobes, but they makes sense only with a housing providing electrical connection.

The S-2000 is a sweet, small strobe, but as you discovered it lacks of focus light, wile other differences to the D-2000 is less power (not verified), lack of EA-Mode and it can be tricky to use with gloves on.
I personally would suggest the Inon D-2000 strobe.

Chris

Everyone has a different preferred solution, here are my thoughts. First, I can see no reason to get the Ikelite housing unless you really want to use Ike strobes. The ike case is functional, but it's big and heavy, way over-sized for the tiny S90. Canon's case is just fine for the S90 if you use an optical sensor. If you want a better case, the FIX is well regarded and lets you use both control rings, a major advantage.

I agree, the Inon D2000 or Z240 would be better strobe choices. The S90 has no hotshoe, so you must trigger from the camera flash using a slave sensor, either

- a separate Slave Sensor like the Ikelite Manual Controller (limited to manual only, and Ike strobes only) or the Heinrichs Weikamp Digital Adapter (uses Nikonos cord to some Nikonos type strobes, such as YS-110a or Inon D2000 for instance), or

- a strobe with sensor, as in the Inon D2000 or better Z240 strobes. Another candidate is the Sea&Sea YS-110a, which has a sensor and modeling light (or the YS-01, a baby version).

And believe it or not, the ultra cheap Intova ISS2000 will also work ($160 including tray and optical cord).

Back
Top Bottom