Strobe vs video light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes.. Definitely black out the case. I wouldn't even say this is an option. Work on land with the strobe placement and power settings and get used to how the camera shoots. I would also always shoot the 8000 in ISO 100 if possible anything higher causes a lot of noise in the image.

The main reason I didn't like the 8000 was the time to recycle and the noise in the picture. Other than that, it was a good starting system. Once I moved on though, I went back to my roots from land photography and got an SLR. I had a film SLR in a Ikelite that I never got to do much with, but my D200 and now D300 I love.. We also really like the SP-350's and use them a lot for a small camera.

The bottom line.. Stick with strobes, black out, and practice settings and placement. :)

Rich,

Thanks for the suggestions. Will the YS110's work with the Ikelite cameras? They seem like fairly good strobes. Before I upgrade, I want to make sure I know what I like and don't and where I'm headed. I've only had the camera with flash for under a year and been taking pics when I can.

Once I figure that out, I'll be taking a look at them for sure.

Thanks,

Hanz

Right.. I know you are running the stobe in manual mode, That is why it is critical to play around with the dial on the back to change the power setting. You will need to work with that and get used to what settings are appropriate for what types of shots.. usually about 1/2 power for macro with the shutter and f-stop the way I described earlier. Wide angle usually will be close to a full power dump depending on how far away you are and how big the subject is.

So you will have to change the settings on the strobe but only the power dial, nothing else.

You're welcome for the help, hope it makes your time more enjoyable and less frustrating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom