Stroke & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am aware of the issues with neck position and I don't believe that will be a problem - I did several long-ish snorkelling sessions this summer to test my neck, and I had not a single problem, and no neurological symptoms, so I guess that is good news.
It is frustrating to new divers and older one that have some sort of nuero type issues, about whether to start or continue diving.

Having someone like Doug D is a Godsend if he is your primary MD for this stuff. Dealing with non-diving MDs is like talking to Martians with respect to your potential/future of diving...............They mean well, but their lack of knowledge of diving leads to major CYA syndrome...........

Calling DAN is a good bet, though some of us have not had the best results from that.

*Update*

Had my first class/confined dive last night, and everything went off without a hitch. No problems with neck position, no ASC or other neuro symptoms.

Thanks to all who helped me make the decision to sign up for the class. I'm having a blast so far.

I spoke to another Neurologist today (the one who treated me in the emergency room initially last year) and he told me he thought I should have no problems with 2 atmospheres of pressure. He wasn't willing to explain where he came up with this number, or what might happen if I exceeded it, but I'm used to Neuros and their non-committal ways by now :)

Better ask him about that number -- two atmospheres are only 33fsw . . . 1 atm above the water, and 1 atm per 33 ft. He might have meant 2 atm of water, which is 3 atm, or 66 feet - the traditional limit of OW divers.

I'm not a doctor, and did not stay at an HI Express last night. Perhaps one of the docs here will take you on as a referral ? ? ? ? or can tell you how to find a doc speciallizing in diving?

That's wonderful! Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom