Stuart Cove??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BubbLzGiRl

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

Its a Yucky day here in the North east so all Im thinkin'
about is Being in the Hot Tropical Sun With Nothing but Blue water
As far as the eye can see.

So Has anyone done the Stuart Cove Shark Dive???
I hear its very popular, Any place else a little better??

Let me know what your opinions are.
Thanks

-Dianna :)

I preferred the shark rodeo on Walker’s Cay. It seemed the chumsicle brought in more sharks, they were less constrained, and there were more teeth to pick up off the bottom afterwards.

I did the Stuart Cove's shark dive last month. It's a two dive package- the first dive you swim in an area where the resident reef sharks are known to hang out. At first it's a bit intimidating, as the sharks swim very close to you. After a while I realized that they are used to being around divers and they pose no threat. The second dive is done in a flat sandy area under the boat. Rocks are laid out in a semi-circle, and the divers are instructed to assume a comfortable kneeling position outside the circle. The
DM arrives a short time later with the metal cage full of fish parts. The next half hour is spent watching the DM as he feeds the sharks using a long pointed stick. I found it to be an interesting and certainly unique experience, but one time was enough for me. I wouldn't say that it got boring towards the end, but how long can you sit there, not moving, and watch the feeding frenzy? Plus, you are not really seeing the sharks exhibiting their natural hunting behavior. They are more like domestic housepets. The picture of me in this post was taken during the shark feed. You can purchase pictures and a DVD to impress your non-diving buddies back home. Don't forget to hunt for shark teeth after the feed. I took home 5 for the kids. While you're diving at Stuart Cove's, consider doing the wall diving adventure with the scooters. It's another one of those unique diving experiences that you can't do very often.

Thanks Steve,
Gonna Dive The Warrior this weekend, finishing up students for advanced . while water is still warm.
:)

BubbLzGiRl:
Hello Everybody,

Its a Yucky day here in the North east so all Im thinkin'
about is Being in the Hot Tropical Sun With Nothing but Blue water
As far as the eye can see.

So Has anyone done the Stuart Cove Shark Dive???
I hear its very popular, Any place else a little better??

Let me know what your opinions are.
Thanks

-Dianna :)
Very touristy, and the dive sites I went to were all dead coral, and beat up from too many divers/snorkelers standing on it. Also, the boats were quite big and full with people. It was an okay experience but I felt like they catered more to beginners and weekend warriors than divers who are in love with the sport. Stuart Cove has been around for a long time though, there must be a reason for this whether its due to marketing or their involvement in the film industry. Overall, I wasn't that impressed with diving in the Bahamas or with any of the sites Stuart Cove took me to. That's not their fualt though, just a matter of location I suppose.

I enjoyed Stuarts cove,,, a little pricey but the video is a keeper. It was about an hour's boat ride. If you do decide to do it try to be the first diver into the water. When you get on site the sharks come running. Being first in gives you a few moments of being alone with them,,,it is an amzing experience they are magnificent animals.

And they'll tell you to keep your hands close to your body,,,but being the rebellious sort that I am,,,well their skin feels amazing, kind of like satin.

Ijusthadtotouchonewas

Just out of interest do they let you take your own photos and video, or do they make you buy theirs? I'm going to be in Nassau over Christmas and New Year so I definately want to give this a go.

Cheers, Simon

I just returned from a week at Atlantis, and spent 4 days with Stuart Cove's diving. I was very happy with the way the dives were run, and the variety in dive sites. Over the whole time I was there, the boat captain's and DM's took the time before we left the dock to see who had been diving already with them and where we had been. And they were able everytime to take us somewhere new. The only time we repeated a dive site was when all of us that had been diving with them requested to go back to the Ray Of Hope/BahamaMama site, since it's next to where they do the Shark Adventure dives and the reef sharks tend to congregate there.

And they also seemed to do a good job of letting us do what we wanted. On each dive the less experienced divers had the option of following the DM on a tour, otherwise we were free to go where we wanted and given a time to be back on the boat. It was almost scary how much faith they put in people's skill just because they showed them a c-card. And they have very simple yet effective roster that ensures that all divers are accounted for after each dive.

Highly recommended….if you are staying at a hotel in Nassau, they will pick you right up at the front.

They filmed most if not all on Into the Blue (plus a bunch of Bond films) there. They are the most professional dive operation I have seen in the Bahamas.

Worth the trip!

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom