Stuart Cove??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the SC shark dive and thought it was great. While still respecting sharks it did make me comfortable with the notion that we share the water with them. On the downside it is a contrived experience, but seeing the feeding divemaster come down in a chain mail suit with a football helmet on was worth a laugh. As great an operation as SC is it really is a cattle farm pushing large numbers of divers through in a day. Unfortunately some of the reefs were virtually dead - seems the die off of the urchins (diadema ???) upset the balance and,.....

simonspear:
Just out of interest do they let you take your own photos and video, or do they make you buy theirs? I'm going to be in Nassau over Christmas and New Year so I definately want to give this a go.

Cheers, Simon
yes, you can take your own photos and videos (but you need to keep the camera and your hands close to your body). on the other dives they do, they also sometimes have a photographer in the water taking some shots - upto you if you buy any or just take your own.

My husband and I were there last week for 8 dives (two days). The last two were the shark dives.

It was really cool. I would recommend it.

SC can be a busy place, but they take good care of you. One day we had about 12 divers, another day 3 (including us).

As far as the condition of the coral, it's not Bonaire...but it's close by (~3 hours). So it made for a nice winter getaway.

I am also planning on a SC shark dive within the next couple of months. Can anyone tell me exactly (in terms of feet) how close they come during the first dive? I am trying to figure out which lens to use (15mm or 20mm) during the first dive. I heard they get close enough to touch on the second dive so the 15mm would be the obvious choice for that dive but I am still not sure which lens would be best for the first dive.
Thanks in advance!
-Chris

BubbLzGiRl:
Hello Everybody,

Its a Yucky day here in the North east so all Im thinkin'
about is Being in the Hot Tropical Sun With Nothing but Blue water
As far as the eye can see.

So Has anyone done the Stuart Cove Shark Dive???
I hear its very popular, Any place else a little better??

Let me know what your opinions are.
Thanks

-Dianna :)
=========================
I've done the shark dive with Stuart Cove now 2 or 3 times and it never gets old. Granted ...the show that the divemaster puts on is a bit contrived, but there's nothing like sitting in the middle of 3 - 4 dozen sharks circling to get a meal. Stuart let me break out of the horshoe sitting pattern and get some pics from different angles. On one of those dives a shark swam right over my head and snapped at my strobe (guess the sound of the recharging electronics was attractive) and then spit it out. It came floating back down towards me and it turned out that it was flooded due to the shark's bite. Long story short, I got the strobe fixed but in the meantime I had memories that will last a lifetime.

'Slogger

charris400:
I am also planning on a SC shark dive within the next couple of months. Can anyone tell me exactly (in terms of feet) how close they come during the first dive? I am trying to figure out which lens to use (15mm or 20mm) during the first dive. I heard they get close enough to touch on the second dive so the 15mm would be the obvious choice for that dive but I am still not sure which lens would be best for the first dive.
Thanks in advance!
-Chris
I'm doing the shark dive 3/29, I can let you know when I get back if that's not too late..

funkyspelunker:
Very touristy, and the dive sites I went to were all dead coral, and beat up from too many divers/snorkelers standing on it. Also, the boats were quite big and full with people. It was an okay experience but I felt like they catered more to beginners and weekend warriors than divers who are in love with the sport. Stuart Cove has been around for a long time though, there must be a reason for this whether its due to marketing or their involvement in the film industry. Overall, I wasn't that impressed with diving in the Bahamas or with any of the sites Stuart Cove took me to. That's not their fualt though, just a matter of location I suppose.
There are some great, healthy sites there but they don't seem to take "coral crushers" there. We were really disappointed with our first set of dives but once we were divided into groups and the beginning divers were on one boat and divers with good buoyancy skills and air consumption on another we saw some great sites. The deep reefs are still healthy (shallow part at 60'). Some of the shallow sites are pretty beat up, stick with the wrecks and deep reefs. That's one of the places we are looking forward to going back to soon.
Ber :lilbunny:

We were at Stuart Cove's ...maybe 96'? We woke up one morning and it looked like Hollywood literally landed at the resort we were staying at, right next to Stuart's; I believe it was the South Ocean Beach Resort.There were prolly' a hundred or so trailer, tents etc. Turned out they were filming "Flipper" with Paul Hogan, Elijah Wood, while we were there. We got to see a live shoot involving Elijah right in front of the dive shop on our way back from a morning dive. They also had a mechanical dolphin they were using, it was just the top side of a dolphin swimming around a small boat Elijah was in. Afterwards we were walking about 10 feet behind Elijah on our way back to our room. We watched him play around with a local boy and his dog. Seemed totally approachable and freindly. The next morning, there wasnt a trace of Hollywood to be found aside from the sets. They were in and out just that fast! They moved loaction to a site further down the island, Paul Hogans "shack", we got to see that location by boat on one of our dive trips. However, Stuarts was all painted up like an old seaside village, including some other nearby buildings,a local outside bar,etc, lots of props to give it an authentic feel. It was cool.

The diving? We went to Stuarts based on an article I read by Stephen Frink. When asked what his favorite place for Underwater photo is, he said the Bahamas, particularly New Providence. He thought the diving was diverse and the reef the healthiest he has found in the Carib. Now that was 10 years ago, so I dont know how it is now. But when we went, I found the diving to be wonderful. It had walls, reefs, wrecks and an abundance of life both big and small, all within a 20 minute or less pleasant boat ride. we didnt find the boats to be crowded at all. And Stuart, his wife and staff were very friendly welcoming, not hesitating in the least to chat with you. It has become one of those places we always think of returning to. Unfortunately, we always opt for something new and exciting we havent done before.

As far as using your own camera or video...seemed perfectly acceptable. Stuart even advised those with cameras and video the "how and when" to take the best shots.

I havent read much about Stuarts lately. The latest comments read here about the reef and such is very disappointing. I reallly loved Stuarts and can see a return trip VERY soon now that my mind is on them. Please tell us how your trip was when you return!

I also saw a progam a few years ago on sharks. They were filming at Stuart Coves. During the typical shark feeding that Stuart does, a shark accidentally bit down on the side of one of Stuarts hands, all shown on the video.The feeding was aborted. It cut him pretty bad. They showed the damage topside. I believe the lesson was he wasnt wearing the typical protective gloves that he usually wears to protect against that very thing. He also stated that the sharks seemed to be behaving more aggressive than usual on that particular day.

FWIW--we stayed at the South Ocean Beach Resort. Right next door to Stuarts. Very quiet end of the island. However, one trip into Nassau was ENOUGH for us and we appreciated its location!!!! Rooms were nice, big, spanish tile floors, balcony overlooking a white sand UNcrowded beach. Big pool, poolside bar. Good service at bars, typical Bahama's service at resort restaurant. Ate there once then avoided. We ate at Avery's; another story but was an absolute wonderful time, with wonderful people; Avery and his wife.

unclewas:
I enjoyed Stuarts cove,,, a little pricey but the video is a keeper. It was about an hour's boat ride. If you do decide to do it try to be the first diver into the water. When you get on site the sharks come running. Being first in gives you a few moments of being alone with them,,,it is an amzing experience they are magnificent animals.

And they'll tell you to keep your hands close to your body,,,but being the rebellious sort that I am,,,well their skin feels amazing, kind of like satin.

Ijusthadtotouchonewas

I agree. Fun and cool but touristy. Large boat, too many divers, pricey. Still, a unique experience I don't regret.

Yes, you can take your own camera.

First dive they swim around you but stay mostly away so wide angle, then second dive they get close enough to feel them swim by your face! They may even bump you depending on where you are resting on the bottom and how many show up. Very close. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom