Student brings BP/W to OW class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some X Dry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure this has happened on rare occasions. Wondering how the agencies and their instructors would approach the situation being this gear config is not the industry "standard"?

Reason I say I'm sure it does is because my GF who's IQ is way above average to say the least did her homework and came to the conclusion that the BP/W gear set best fit her needs and wants. Not that her IQ is all that relevant being OW is taught near or at a 7th grade level.

Will respond with her instructors reaction to her gear selection for class after some feedback. Thanks...

Uh . . . a BP/W is just a BC. We teach all our private OW classes in them. It shouldn't be an issue, but you have to hope that the instructor can help her get it adjusted correctly, and can help her on how to do the gear don and doff exercises.

I have plenty of students in BP/W ... OW and otherwise. My job isn't to sell them on some kind of "standard" ... it's to train them on the equipment they decide best suits their needs.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As far as I know, there is no "industry standard" regarding a buoyancy compensator.

IF an OW student came to my OW class with a BP/W I'd applaud and use it to show the rest of the class why such a rig is a very appropriate one for the conditions in which they will be diving.

I would just teach the class with her wearing what she plans to wear once she's certified. Standards only say the diver needs fins/mask/snorkel, a BC with an LP inflator, a reg set with a primary and secondary second stage, SPG, depth gauge, weight system, exposure protection, a whistle, and a means for carrying out dive planning (tables, computer, etc.).

There is no mention of any specific type of BC--could be bp/w or jacket; no specific type of exposure protection--could be wetsuit or drysuit; no specific mention of type of primary and secondary--could be long hose, etc. So if I had a student show up with a bp/w, that's what we'd use.

I wore a bp/w in my OW class*. Neither they nor I did anything special or different because of it (and my buddy who was also in the class was wearing a "typical" vest BC).

I bought one because I never could find a vest BC that fit me properly. It has worked really well for me.

Blue Sparkle

*Just to be clear (but not clutter my initial response), I took my first OW class in 2005 in a typical vest BC. Then I proceeded to do only four dives over a period of four years --- in good part due to hating the ill-fitting equipment. In late 2009 a good friend of mine decided to get certified, so we decided to take an OW class together. Prior to that class I came here to check things out, read about the bp/w, started a thread to see if it might help to solve my problems, then rented one and wore it all through that second OW class (and it was not the same location or instructors as the first one; so as far as the class was concerned it was just like I had showed up in a bp/w. It was the first time I had ever even tried one on).

You have received good responses from instructors who see no problem in teaching students who are in a BP/W. The same would be true with me.

On the other hand, there are some instructors who might have a problem with it. I assure you that there are instructors who have never seen one and would not know how to help you set it up, size it, and remove/replace it in the water or on the surface. Just make sure that the chosen instructor is ready and willing to teach your GF.

I had to show an instructor how it worked before he let a student use one, back when I was divermastering and helping every so often with classes.

He really threw a fit about the 7' hose and bungeed backup....

Thank you all who so far have responded to this thread. My use of the word "standard" was in part a flame towards those LDS owners who promote the sale, use and education with one type of product without examples of others. Please excuse my bias.

IMHO the true professional side of the diving industry has for the most part been what makes this sport, hobby, affliction, addiction; However you want to define it; what it is today. Thank you for what you do! I could never do it. You have my respect and support.

As far as how my GF's instructor approached her gear selection... Same as what you all have stated so far. Accepting. He did use her as an example of a different gear set and even thanked her for bringing it in.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom