Student Diver Injured - La Jolla Cove, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THAL, I think you may be thinking about La Jolla Shores not being a far swim to the edge of the canyon. There you are lucky if it is high tide and it is still 40 yards (at the ABSOLUTE most).

However at the Cove one would have to swim from the Cove almost to Marine Room (about 2 times the distance of Buoy A) to hit anything greater than 40 or so feet.

Don't know. Kobayashi drove us in a truck from the Scripps dive locker up hill then down hill, to a beach from which we kicked out to a buoy that seemed to be at the mouth of the canyon. The swim was several hundred yards.

I attemped to dive LJ cove one time on a trip to SD and the surge and waves made it impossible on that particular trip and yes, it is a loooong way up and down those steps especially carrying gear. :D

It's pretty clear that Thal is referring to the Scripps Canyon dive site. That's different from La Jolla Cove or La Jolla Shores.
Scripps Canyon is generally regarded as an advanced dive site. On most days, the other two sites would be appropriate for beginners.

For what it's worth, I'd argue that the La Jolla Cove steps up/down to the beach should be easily navigable for a diver with the proper level of fitness.

Most basic OW classes use La Jolla Shores for class dives. Although it is a surf entry, the sand is soft and the slope is very gradual.
Assuming benign surf/current conditions, I see no issue with using La Jolla Cove for OW class dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom