Study time required for AOW & Rescue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackrock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm thinking about doing my AOW and Rescue in back-to-back weeks on Bonaire. I don't want to overload myself but would also like to take advantage of the good conditions on the island.

How much bookwork and studying will I have to do for each? I'm more concerned about the rescue portion rather than the AOW. Still, I'm not exactly sure what's involved with AOW either.

Thanks for the input.

IF you don't want to overload your vacationtime,WHY do it in your vacation time:confused:
Just do it back home.Home = more time,better education,less waisted dive time.
total reading time for AOW+RSQ+EFR comes down to 4/5 days of reading:11:
At least when you want to learn someting otherwise a couple of hours and than hoping you learned enough for the tests.:no
Nice folks on Bonaire but they do OW in 2 days :shakehead:

IF you don't want to overload your vacationtime,WHY do it in your vacation time:confused:
Just do it back home.Home = more time,better education,less waisted dive time.
total reading time for AOW+RSQ+EFR comes down to 4/5 days of reading:11:
At least when you want to learn someting otherwise a couple of hours and than hoping you learned enough for the tests.:no
Nice folks on Bonaire but they do OW in 2 days :shakehead:

Think he said AOW, which is ony about 4 mores dives, no book work, no tests.........

I'm thinking about doing my AOW and Rescue in back-to-back weeks on Bonaire. I don't want to overload myself but would also like to take advantage of the good conditions on the island.

How much bookwork and studying will I have to do for each? I'm more concerned about the rescue portion rather than the AOW. Still, I'm not exactly sure what's involved with AOW either.

Thanks for the input.

Think he said AOW, which is ony about 4 mores dives, no book work, no tests.........

No he said AOW and RSQ, so he has to do EFR as well or something like it.
AOW is 5 dives and there is bookwork and tests,so is there for the EFR.
If you did not do this on your AOW you,OR don't have AOW OR you had some c-card on sale:11:
Sorry:lotsalove:

Well...1) it's not really vacation time per se.

2) I would be going by myself so I don't know how much diving I'll be doing otherwise.
I don't feel like paying for boat dives necessarily.

3) I didn't know how much time doing the dives would take up. Am I going to be really busy? This is sort of what I was asking. Can't I study before I get there.

4) I live in the northeast and don't want to do this stuff in LI sound (crap vis) or in the frigid quarries in the area.

What is EFR?

Thanks again.

3)

4) I live in the northeast and don't want to do this stuff in LI sound (crap vis) or in the frigid quarries in the area.

What is EFR?

Thanks again.

But surely doing the course in this kind of environment would make you a better diver.

Train Hard = Fight Easy

I have done all my "training" in this type of environment and it makes diving while abroad that much easier. Two requisites for AOW are Navigation and Deep dives. If taught correctly in low vis cold water will give you a far greater range of skills.

I am doing my Rescue in the UK next month, struggling with an unconcious diver whilst wearing a drysuit with numb fingers may not be the most enjoyable at the time, but if I ever had to do it for real, I would probably be wearing the same thing, physically feeling the same way.
If it happened on a trip Im sure i would be thankful for the extra mobility the temprature would allow.

EFR = Emergency First Response/responder

Well...1) it's not really vacation time per se.

2) I would be going by myself so I don't know how much diving I'll be doing otherwise.
I don't feel like paying for boat dives necessarily.

3) I didn't know how much time doing the dives would take up. Am I going to be really busy? This is sort of what I was asking. Can't I study before I get there.

What is EFR?

Thanks again.

First of all EFR is the PADI way to do CPR(Emergency first responce) and you MUST have something like it.
AOW takes 5 dives so at least 2 days
EFR training takes about 8 hours.
RSQ takes at least 2 day's 9 to 5 :Dnot counting the academics and pooltraining.
So that makes at least 5 FULL day's:lotsalove:
My advice would be,do the training in LI(?)and get the best there is.
If you can dive in 0 viz you can dive a lot more places then when you only dive 100"+viz.

While I understand what you guys are saying and agree in theory, the truth is I don't want to dive in zero vis. Diving is an activity I enjoy and zero vis is not fun for me. I want to continue my education and learn some new skills but I'm not ready to be a hardcore, zero vis, frigid cold tec diver.

I think I'll have to learn to deal with the other stuff later in my "career" when I'm truly ready to deal with the nasty conditions.

Thanks for the input and advice though, I do appreciate the opinions.

Thanks for the input.

AOW is easy. You just do some dives with an instructor. Almost zero study, just read the chapeter and aanswer a few questions. No test.

Rescue on the other hand means you read a larger book, watch a video and there is a test at the end. Also there is a LOT of pool work and much water work but almost all the in-water work is at the surface.

Seeing at AOW is just like normal diving, do it anyplace but I'd not recommend doing resque on a vacation. There is not much diving involved so it is a waste of vacation time to spend literally days floating on the surface and doing drills. Take the Rescue class at a local shop in local water.

Back
Top Bottom