Study time required for AOW & Rescue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So out of mild curiosity, is PADI so gung-ho about you taking their EFR class that they won't accept certification above and beyond what they teach? Because if I'm going to have to take a CPR class from PADI when I'm an EMT, I'm going to be mildly irritated. :p

That's an excellent question. No, you do not have to take it from Padi but your CPR card does have to be current to get the Rescue certification.

actually, I was just there in January and met a few instructors. When I contacted the Dive Op they told me they couldn't guarantee which instructor taught me. I was disappointed about that.

Kevin; still interested in joining the group trip I have set up for May? I can do the advance course there on island,and it would not detract from valuable vacation time..Being that you are part of the group it will cost you a crewpack /certification card fee and buying me a dinner.Any questions about rescue you can feel free to call me or email me . completing the the advance class there this way will save you alot of $ vs doing it here for locally.
The rescue course is more involved and you really would not want to use the time in the classroom during vacation. There is about 10 hrs of classroom and about 3 of pool.You need some type of current first aid/cpr certification if not then PADI's efr would work for you.
You can do the classroom work here,call and I'll schedule it up,and some of the water work here in pool.Then complete necessary skills on island where it would take minimal time away from the vacation.

Think he said AOW, which is ony about 4 mores dives, no book work, no tests.........

Correct about no test.Incorrect that there is homework.Must complete and hand in knowledge reviews for the 5 dives that will be done.

In the rescue class "viz" does not mater. Almost all of the class work is done on the surface. There are only a few easy underwater skills. I doubt that I used even one full tank of air during the entire class.

Meet too, I had probably 1500 psi left in a tank after my Rescue class. I used the same tank for both days of class. SSI and PADI both require that you have training in CPR before taking the rescue class. The instructor will look at your card and just verify that it has a valid date. However, there's nothing that says that you'll lose your rescue cert if you don't keep your CPR card current. There's knowledge reviews that have to be completed and handed in as well as a final exam. (for the rescue class)

So out of mild curiosity, is PADI so gung-ho about you taking their EFR class that they won't accept certification above and beyond what they teach? Because if I'm going to have to take a CPR class from PADI when I'm an EMT, I'm going to be mildly irritated. :p

You know, it is a silly requirement to have the CPR and first aid. I've never taken a "first aid course" before, but still had to take it.

Of course, my degrees and training doesn't count (DVM, MD), my previous training doesn't count (c4 combat casualty, ATLS, ACLS, PALS)...... The first aid section was kinda fluffy, and the instructor did not even show us how to apply a tourniquet. My son was with me, and I demonstrated how to stop an arterial bleeding and applying a field expedient tourniquet for him.

But, they don't know squat about my background, and just have to make sure everyone started at the same level. I really believe that they should exempt EMT's and physicians from the silly first aid requirement. Unless they can demonstrate that their instructor training is better than what we have.

You know, it is a silly requirement to have the CPR and first aid. I've never taken a "first aid course" before, but still had to take it.

Of course, my degrees and training doesn't count (DVM, MD), my previous training doesn't count (c4 combat casualty, ATLS, ACLS, PALS)...... The first aid section was kinda fluffy, and the instructor did not even show us how to apply a tourniquet. My son was with me, and I demonstrated how to stop an arterial bleeding and applying a field expedient tourniquet for him.

But, they don't know squat about my background, and just have to make sure everyone started at the same level. I really believe that they should exempt EMT's and physicians from the silly first aid requirement. Unless they can demonstrate that their instructor training is better than what we have.

:lol: I was going to tell him that even if he were an MD he would still have to have a current CPR card but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for confirming that. :)

if the person can show me a certificate that claims they have the expertise and the training agency accepts it,no problem..I do not know if one exists.. It is my understanding that nurses and emt's have to remain current in their certifications as I have been asked in the past to recert. a few. for their work obligations. I freely admit that I have no where near the expertise that a emt or nurse has.

Think he said AOW, which is only about 4 mores dives, no book work, no tests.........

NAUI requires a test for AOW.

Having said that the AOW test it is the easiest of the 5 NAUI certification tests I have taken. The Master Diver exam is probably the most difficult exam I have taken to date.

Back
Top Bottom