stupid newbie/snorkling/knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looks like I hit a raw nerve here. perhaps you guys are a little sensitive to the fact that you do a lot of diving to "look cool"?

anyway, like I posted earlier, I was looking for some basic advivce. didn't realize I was jumping into a hornets nets of BS.

BTW, having a K on hand is usually a good idea. at least that's the way I remember it

when I went to

Jump school at Ft. Benning GA

Wow, cool, UW chainsaw! I imagine you would need it to clear trees and limbs fallen on streams and rivers in the spring. I always wanted to know how they clear these jams on the rivers etc... Now I know.

Don't let these jokers get to you, driver X, once you start diving, you would realize that they have alot of good info for you here. Just get thick skinned, and you will weather the jokers better.

driver_X:
looks like I hit a raw nerve here. perhaps you guys are a little sensitive to the fact that you do a lot of diving to "look cool"?

anyway, like I posted earlier, I was looking for some basic advivce. didn't realize I was jumping into a hornets nets of BS.

BTW, having a K on hand is usually a good idea. at least that's the way I remember it

when I went to

SCUBA Board is like your jump school.

This: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.scuba/topics?lnk=gschg is special forces.

Go~ play with the big kids. Let us know how it went.

Sadamune:
When it comes to looking cool in the water, I think it would be hard to beat swimming around with a giant claymore strapped to your back.

My hand to God, I thought you meant a Claymore Anti-personnel Mine... not the sword!

The mine would make infinitely more sense. I had one strapped to the bumper of my Jeep with 100mph tape. Worked great.

driver_X:

when I went to

Don't take any of this personally... you have to realise... this is a virtual scuba simulation... these guys are all waiting around for good weather or good trips and they have to do something to pass the time! I don't think anyone is actually meaning to pick on you- but you did open your self up with the "looking cool" thing. We're all suckers for a gladiator diver, after all.

Personally, I'm laughing my hiney off- I have no life, so this is the most fun I've had in a while.

There's nothing wrong with a knife- these guys are all just looking to top eachother with comments... :)

trucker girl:
You may look cool with the big knife strapped to you leg to some people... but divers tend to look at the big knife and roll their eyes. I have a small knife with a blundt tip attached to my bc . If you want to be prudent (which will make you look waaaay cooler to divers and you can explain it to the folks who would otherwise be impressed by the big knife, thereby making yourself look both cool AND knowledgeable...), buy a small diving knife or a pair of diving shears (the scizzors- did I spell that right?).

Or a glock.
No offense Trucker Girl... but you are a girl... it is not built into your genetic code to remotely understand the urge to look cool underwater by carrying a big knife. Sorry, but it is scientific proof.

As for what was already mentioned a Sea Hawk would work great; however there are some other knives that are similar (any with a 7" blade).

Remember... a knife is not a tool, but a weapon, and should be yielded as such. It should be firmly attached to your leg, and when you exit from the water, you should look and act as Sean Connery in Thunderball, not Halle Berry in some other forgetful James Bond movie. These are all very important lessons from Mike Nelson's Guide to Being a Man Underwater... (soon to be published by myself... maybe).

Exactly, it's all in fun!!! But really, scissors are good and knives are fine. Do what you want. You'll probably never see any of us anyways. So who knew? Really look into a fog cutter, I believe XS Scuba. It really is the best of both worlds.

The_DivePirate:
Exactly, it's all in fun!!! But really, scissors are good and knives are fine. Do what you want. You'll probably never see any of us anyways. So who knew? Really look into a fog cutter, I believe XS Scuba. It really is the best of both worlds.

This was in regards too T-girl

i carry a small blunt ended (but sharp) knife tie-wrapped around my BCD inflator hose - my buddy as similar but also carriea small pair of trauma shears (cut through anything) on his BC waist strap

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom