Stupid question about Atomic Aquatics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lampy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have decided to buy a pair of the Atomic Aquatics split fins. The stupid question: are the Atomic Aquatics split fins and the Atomic Aquatic "Smoke on the Water" are actually the same fins, just in different colours? As I am in the UK diving freshwater visability isn't amazing so a pair of lime green fins (aside from looking interesting) may be slightly more practical than the cool looking "Smoke on the Water" Fins.

This site is the only one I have found which lists both products as individuals.
Split Fins for Scuba Diving and Snorkelling

I would also like to know what sort of colours you guys like (sounds childish I know).

Lime Green,
Liquid Blue,
Yellow
Smoke on the Water (Grey & Black)

Last stupid question: A guy at my LDS told me there are really only two sizes of fin, Small and Large. I will be using a dry suit for the next six months, I can fit both size 9 & 10 neoprene boots. Is he telling me to get Large fins (instead of XL) because all dry suits have boots of size 10 (around my foot size)?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Last edited:
no, the Smoke on the Water are stiffer than the regular, not sure about the rest of the colors though

I know that Yellow is one of the most visible colors around though

Whoaa, lime green......!!??? Never seen them, they surely look great!

I have the yellow Atomics Aquatics. Yellow is the colour which is best visible underwater, and secondly I like yellow very much :wink:
Size M exists as well (that's what I have) and I can't imagine that they don't have XL (maybe try another LDS).
My plan had been to buy size S as my boots are size 5 but when I tried my feet didn't fit properly in S, so I tried M and they fit perfectly. Make sure you try the fins with your boots.

The Liquid Blue are made with a softer and lighter material (a friend told me the Liquid Blue are even positively buoyant, but don't quote me on that one).

Actually the smoke on the water split fin is a slightly softer compound than most of the atomic split fins. It is the softer compound that is shared with the liquid blue and reef red fins, their other colors are slightly stiffer. Other than the color, compound and spring strap that the Smokes come with the atomic split fins are all the same. I have the smokes and love them, the spring straps make on and off a breeze and they are very comfortable on my foot. In the color area, as a preference I love the bright fins, yellow or green is awesome, I can't tell you how many times the only way I have seen my buddy is because of the bright colored fins or tank he had on. In less than ideal viz some bright colors are great and should you loose your fins in the surf etc. they will be easier to find as well. Their open heel fins do come in 4 sizes though small, med, large, and X-large. I love my atomic splits and use them on just about every wetsuit dive I make, unfortunately my drysuit boots are a little too big for them.

Thanks for the info Brett. My LDS Dive N Board has a killer deal on the Smokes, but are out of XL. They have an XL in the liquid blue. I was going to try to talk them into the liquid blue set and adding the Atomic spring straps. Hopefully springs from a large will fit the XL.

Thanks very much all, I am going with the Lime Green regular fins in size Large. Will let you know how I get on.

Kilo Fox, keep up the proper spelling of colour!! (I know this is a US forum)

Was Also wondering if the regular fins will take a spring strap not made by Atomic Aquatics? I can't find the atomic aquatic spring straps over here in the UK!

If they cannot take normal springs then I guess it has to be smokes.

Last edited:
Innovative Scuba makes spring straps. I'm not sure what "normal" is. I guess you are referring to the fin stud size? I think that Atomic uses a "small" stud. This kit uses the original plastic buckle:
Innovative Scuba Stainless Steel Spring Straps - Atomic Model

Also, Leisurepro sells the all steel strap with keyhole plate which slips over the stud. Not sure how secure those are. I like the kind with locking pins. Look for Manta/Atomic spring straps. I drilled my straps and fitted safety wires.

Attachments

• 103_0355.JPG
    103_0355.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 446
Thanks for the info Brett. My LDS Dive N Board has a killer deal on the Smokes, but are out of XL. They have an XL in the liquid blue. I was going to try to talk them into the liquid blue set and adding the Atomic spring straps. Hopefully springs from a large will fit the XL.

There is only one size for the spring straps and they fit all Atomic fins. The spring straps provide 3 adjustment points for sizing.

My Liquid Blues are XL. My daughters Smoke on Water fins are large and my wifes Reef Reds are size medium an they all use the same Atomic spring straps. In fact, the string straps for my XL Liquid Bluw fins came from my daughters Smoke on Water fins. My daughter didn't think she would like the spring straps so I "volunterred" to use them on my Liquid Blues and give her the (new) spare set of Atomic fins we take on vacation as part of the save-a-dive kit.

She later decided she mike like the spring straps os I bought her and my wife a pair for Christmas.

The spring straps are also sold separately.

Last edited:
There is only one size for the spring straps and they fit all Atomic fins. The spring straps provide 3 adjustment points for sizing.

My Liquid Blues are XL. My daughters Smoke on Water fins are large and my wifes Reef Reds are size medium an they all use the same Atomic spring straps. In fact, the string straps for my XL Liquid Bluw fins came from my daughters Smoke on Water fins. My daughter didn't think she would like the spring straps so I "volunterred" to use them on my Liquid Blues and give her the (new) spare set of Atomic fins we take on vacation as part of the save-a-dive kit.

She later decided she mike like the spring straps os I bought her and my wife a pair for Christmas.

The spring straps are also sold separately.
That is interesting, I have four sizes in stock, Small, Medium, large, and X-large. The spring stock is different lengths for each.

Back
Top Bottom