Subic Bay for Novice Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. I had been diving in Subic for several yrs and accumulated just over 100 logged dive. Having met so many divers and a few dm over this period of time, we all agreed that the non-wreck related diving is NOT interesting at all.
2. Only the USS and to a less extend the LST, the others wrecks are boring. Coron has so much to offer.
3. Lazy and uninspired dive cetres!!!!! Those are strong and unjustified words. There are competent and established dive centres around eg Broadwalk and Johan. The new kid is just trying to impress.
4. Having dived over 20 locations in the country, Subic just does not has it.

Well, what does that tell you about your chosen dive operator? There's some truly excellent and very professional dive centers in Subic Bay... but they are specialized/focused upon the wreck diving.

Wrecks are my passion also - but I also dive with a number of serious underwater photographers and I've spent a lot of effort to find good options to suit their needs. It's been my belief for many years that Subic under-sells itself by not providing anything more than wreck diving... it's not everyone's passion and for a large spectrum of the market, it constitutes nothing more than a 'one-time' experience. There is much more to experience at Subic, and I've tried to open those possibilities up to address the interests and enjoyment of a larger diving demographic.

I know you - you didn't realize that? I also have worked at the dive operator you frequent - didn't know that either? I've worked at most of them.... and dove with the rest. 5 years in Subic Bay hardly makes me a 'new boy' - but you seem to think your sporadic short vacations here makes you a credible expert?

I also know your diving in Subic... you're a technical diver, who primarily does technical dives and wreck penetration. NOT... repeat.... NOT familiar with the non-wreck sites that neither you, nor the dive operator you use... ever go to. You've been the topic of more than a few discussions amongst the Subic dive community... and you know why... so please don't try and astound me with your experience or local knowledge... it won't fly. Is that simple enough for you?

I ask again... HAVE YOU seen the critters and marine life in Subic Bay that I have now posted ample photos and videos of?

If not, are you gonna insist that they're fictitious... or perhaps concede that you've not seen it all?

The OP asked if Subic Bay was suitable for beginners. The answer is 'yes' - there is a diverse range of sites and experiences that are ideal for novice divers.

The OP asked if Subic Bay wrecks, in particular, were suitable for his experience level. The answer, again, is 'yes' - all but 3 of the recreational wrecks are within OW depth limits and enjoy little current and calm water - making them eminently suitable for developing divers.

The OP asked if June was a good time to visit. Dry season ends around mid-May, so there may be some rains. At that time of year, it's typically sunny during the daytime, with a brief shower/storm in the early evening. Visibility will be decreased because of the rains, but any of the sites near the Bay mouth will still offer good visibility (15m+). Typhoon season doesn't typically start until later in the year - diving is still possible unless a storm warning is actually in effect for north/eastern Luzon province - Subic Bay is very protected from inclement, storm-induced weather/water conditions.

The OP is on a limited budget, and asked if Subic was worth a quick trip from Manila (unlike Cebu sites - which cost more and take far longer to reach, than a 230php 3-hour bus trip). The answer, obviously, is yes....

Here's my idea for a 'budget' 2-day Subic experience:

- Take 4am bus from Pasay to Olongapo (230php), then Jeepney to Barretto area (12php).
- Enjoy 2 boat dives, having liaised with operator about your experience and preferences (2400php).
- Book into budget fan-only room (500php).
- Enjoy a nice lunch at one of the Barretto local restaurants (80php).
- Enjoy 2 late afternoon/night dives on the muck site/shore dive (1200php).
- Enjoy a dinner meal at a local restaurant (80php).
- Wake AM and enjoy a local breakfast (50php).
- Enjoy 2 boat dives (2400php).
- Enjoy a night muck/critter dive (600php).
- Take Jeepney to Barretto area (12php), then take late bus from Olongapo to Pasay, Manila (230php).

Whole trip: 7 dives/2 days. Total cost: 7794php ($182)
That works out at an average cost of just $26 per dive, including accommodation, transport and food. Kit rental would be slightly extra.

You'll see seahorses, octopus, schools of reef fish, nudibranch, frogfish, cuttlefish, stonefish, moray eels etc etc ...and some historical wrecks.

Last edited:
hmmm, first, I'd like to thank Andy for the invite to try out his latest muck discovery at Subic.

Ever since the widespread news of divers passings at the USS New York where only one survived who apparently bailed out on his buddies, coupled with the fact that the wrecks notoriety of having bad viz outside the wrecks... Subic really was branded as a tec divers destination, avoided by most divers from Manila for having sparse life, maybe an eagle ray once in a while (I've seen in Feb), a seemingly snufalafagus like bullshark who is always mentioned but never seen and some guitarfishes which have yet to have photos from other divers, its a macho divers destination.

I personally, after diving with Andy 4 years ago (my 3rd time) when he was running Scuba Subic College resigned to the fact Subic was a waste of time & quite expensive... like not much bang for the buck.... till my dives since Wednesday till today

Its the first time in my life I saw 9 seahorses on one dive, tons of marginatus (coconut) octopus, loads of pipefish, -the very sought after dwarf pipehorse, box fishes in green, yellow, white, brown and three juvenile HAIRY FROGFISHES... it was muck tastic... it can rival that of Anilao's best dive sites, just a notch lower than Secret Bay Mainit, a place where I had logged over 200+ dives... the only thing lacking on the menu in this new site are Mimic Octopus and Flamboyant cuttlefish... It can be closely be compared to Anilao Pier, the Anilao dive site to go to if you havn't seen an Octopus, a Ghostpipefish or a Stargazer.

What I know for a fact, we divers tend to skew towards our choice of adventure, me a photog prefering shallow long dives with much rare critters, new divers the big fish and schools, tec for those who fancy beyond 33M pushing the limits of what they can do...

All I may share... Subic has one bonafide world class muck dive site now, ... its not for everyone, but I know of new divers very interested in having a long encounter with an Octopus, sometimes caqrrying stuff, feeding, carrier crabs using wood as their shell, it can be as interesting to them as the Jackfish school of twin rocks or the Sardines of Moalboal.

What Subic needs though is more knowledgable guides, which diving with most dive centers, really lack, theyre all focused to much on the wrecks. Photographers will be delighted though with this new site.. I can guarantee this, its freakin critterific and if youve got a cam, you wont stop pressing click. Am glad the guys at Arizona gave me the invite, their little muck reef project is teeeeeming with life

On cost, ok Anilao may be cheap to dive, but have you ever stayed in a dive resort lately, an overnighter will cost you usd120 easy, not cool.

anyway, give it a shot, you may be unfortunate with seahorses or octopus (i know most diving a lot havn't seen yet), ...this is the newest site to go to see them is almost guaranteed, hoping typhoon doesnt wipe out the current life there, or trawling fishermen, ..night dives are more prolific... its now definitely beyond just wrecks.

i've really got hooked to photography since in diving, its the only real proof that you've seen something, and its a hobby where one doesn't just blow bubbles, you always take a souvenir with you after every dive..... I live by the mantra, No Pics, No fish :) talk is cheap, take photos, on a wreck dive, cave dive, big fish dive, or a critterdive..be prepared to invest much, but it will give you a whole new perspective on hunting and choice of dives:D

pics here at Arizona Subic Muck... the critters are very impressive

creamy by Yagit Diver, on Flickr

pygmy like by Yagit Diver, on Flickr

baby hairy by Yagit Diver, on Flickr

back to back by Yagit Diver, on Flickr

[video=vimeo;40623561]http://vimeo.com/40623561[/video]

Wide angle opportunities, & crystal clear viz @ San Quentin Wreck
dive centers avoid this site since its at a far side of the bay

Sunny by Yagit Diver, on Flickr

heres what everyone knows, or assumes this is all of Subic

The food here is salty by Yagit Diver, on Flickr

hells kitchen by Yagit Diver, on Flickr

boiling by Yagit Diver, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well, what does that tell you about your chosen dive operator? There's some truly excellent and very professional dive centers in Subic Bay... but they are specialized/focused upon the wreck diving.

Wrecks are my passion also - but I also dive with a number of serious underwater photographers and I've spent a lot of effort to find good options to suit their needs. It's been my belief for many years that Subic under-sells itself by not providing anything more than wreck diving... it's not everyone's passion and for a large spectrum of the market, it constitutes nothing more than a 'one-time' experience. There is much more to experience at Subic, and I've tried to open those possibilities up to address the interests and enjoyment of a larger diving demographic.

I know you - you didn't realize that? I also have worked at the dive operator you frequent - didn't know that either? I've worked at most of them.... and dove with the rest. 5 years in Subic Bay hardly makes me a 'new boy' - but you seem to think your sporadic short vacations here makes you a credible expert?

I also know your diving in Subic... you're a technical diver, who primarily does technical dives and wreck penetration. NOT... repeat.... NOT familiar with the non-wreck sites that neither you, nor the dive operator you use... ever go to. You've been the topic of more than a few discussions amongst the Subic dive community... and you know why... so please don't try and astound me with your experience or local knowledge... it won't fly. Is that simple enough for you?

I ask again... HAVE YOU seen the critters and marine life in Subic Bay that I have now posted ample photos and videos of?

If not, are you gonna insist that they're fictitious... or perhaps concede that you've not seen it all?

The OP asked if Subic Bay was suitable for beginners. The answer is 'yes' - there is a diverse range of sites and experiences that are ideal for novice divers.

The OP asked if Subic Bay wrecks, in particular, were suitable for his experience level. The answer, again, is 'yes' - all but 3 of the recreational wrecks are within OW depth limits and enjoy little current and calm water - making them eminently suitable for developing divers.

The OP asked if June was a good time to visit. Dry season ends around mid-May, so there may be some rains. At that time of year, it's typically sunny during the daytime, with a brief shower/storm in the early evening. Visibility will be decreased because of the rains, but any of the sites near the Bay mouth will still offer good visibility (15m+). Typhoon season doesn't typically start until later in the year - diving is still possible unless a storm warning is actually in effect for north/eastern Luzon province - Subic Bay is very protected from inclement, storm-induced weather/water conditions.

The OP is on a limited budget, and asked if Subic was worth a quick trip from Manila (unlike Cebu sites - which cost more and take far longer to reach, than a 230php 3-hour bus trip). The answer, obviously, is yes....

Here's my idea for a 'budget' 2-day Subic experience:

- Take 4am bus from Pasay to Olongapo (230php), then Jeepney to Barretto area (12php).
- Enjoy 2 boat dives, having liaised with operator about your experience and preferences (2400php).
- Book into budget fan-only room (500php).
- Enjoy a nice lunch at one of the Barretto local restaurants (80php).
- Enjoy 2 late afternoon/night dives on the muck site/shore dive (1200php).
- Enjoy a dinner meal at a local restaurant (80php).
- Wake AM and enjoy a local breakfast (50php).
- Enjoy 2 boat dives (2400php).
- Enjoy a night muck/critter dive (600php).
- Take Jeepney to Barretto area (12php), then take late bus from Olongapo to Pasay, Manila (230php).

Whole trip: 7 dives/2 days. Total cost: 7794php ($182)
That works out at an average cost of just $26 per dive, including accommodation, transport and food. Kit rental would be slightly extra.

You'll see seahorses, octopus, schools of reef fish, nudibranch, frogfish, cuttlefish, stonefish, moray eels etc etc ...and some historical wrecks.

Good on you Andy, can't wait to dive Subic and all it's facets!

Isn't subic the easiest to get to from Manila? Maybe that is the reason he wants to go to subic.

Jump on a bus in Pasay/Cubao, listen to Ipod for several hours, jump on a trike... get dropped at your dive center. :)

If you're willing to wake up before 5am... you can travel and arrive in time for diving that day (and get a bus back to Manila that night, if you have the energy).

Ok.. Thanks for all the advice.i'm going tomorrow. It looks like I should be catching a Victory Liner coach to Olangapo or Subic Bay Freeport and then Jeepney (which should expect to pay 12php). How much should I expect to pay in a taxi from those places if i decided to do that. Thanks

Victory Liner Pasay - Olongapo = ~230php (price depends on route via either San Fernando or Dau)
Jeepney Olongapo - Barretto = ~13php
Trike Olongapo - Barretto/Baloy = ~150php
Taxi Olongapo - Barretto/Baloy = ~500php

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom