Subsurface & Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised someone in IT wouldn't understand the concept of ROI.
I understand RPO RTO ... and the ability to count and keep my mind sharp...
I am surprised a DIVE INSTRUCTOR would not understand that!

The newer OS layouts are Cybersecurity loopholes... I work in Tech just as long as I have been diving... 38+ years..
so no issue pairing the bluetooth to the linux machine ( you did not need toe shearwater applicaitons OR pull the logs from a MS /Apple machine? )
I stopped dealing with Ms in 2009 I started with them in 1980 I stopped dealing with apple in 2012 started dealing with them in 1979... My ties to Unix goes back before my Novel days but gained stride with Sun in 1988 w NFS and NIS.
Today Cellphones I prefer the Watch cell by Tizen running simbian (linux) IOS ANDROID 16 years later it is just a spyware toy meets electronic leash...
The dove computer I am a late adopter got my first computer in October last year most dives I do are on slate and grease pen ( my tech diving plan your dive/dive your plan ) I just would dive my tables and run my runtime
Wow, I used to love my sparc workstations and Connection Machine 5. At one point, duel booted suse linux so I could run Oracle 8i on my PC. Since I was an early adopter of fast internet at my home my cable provider allowed me to have a static IP to support using Oracle 8i.

But I have moved on to a MacBook Air and iPhone for personal use and a MacBook Pro for work. Wife likewise has a MacBook Air and iPhone. I don't keep anything on my machines that I wouldn't want NSA to see, so I am not too worried about someone trying to get in through safari. And yeah, I use MacDive because it is easy to use in the Apple word we live in.

What I don't understand is how can you run a very old OS and find drivers for modern hardware?

We write drivers on Freebsd
Wow, I used to love my sparc workstations and Connection Machine 5. At one point, duel booted suse linux so I could run Oracle 8i on my PC. Since I was an early adopter of fast internet at my home my cable provider allowed me to have a static IP to support using Oracle 8i.

But I have moved on to a MacBook Air and iPhone for personal use and a MacBook Pro for work. Wife likewise has a MacBook Air and iPhone. I don't keep anything on my machines that I wouldn't want NSA to see, so I am not too worried about someone trying to get in through safari. And yeah, I use MacDive because it is easy to use in the Apple word we live in.

What I don't understand is how can you run a very old OS and find drivers for modern hardware?
FreeBSD we write drivers ... same with Linux ... NEt OPEN we are constantly updating OPENSSH gave the world SSH protocol that was all done on BSD also same with Secure DNS and AD all written in Unix first ( AD is just Kerberos and LDAP ) both derived from unix system V and BSD ... Fun fact all MAC is based on is Darwin BSD with UI and ( propritary gui code... )
when they pulled out the PPC code for CISC in 10.7 they lost core funcitons which started the 10 year spiral and now beigns a death rattle on RISC return and CISC emulation with new MAC hardware...
All new hardware is made for MS trash first, but we reverse engineer it write new BIOS and send bill and tim cook packing... ( why pay for what was free? ) GNU etc... GNU was software without a OS and Linux was a OS without software... interesting back history ...

In short my gripe hits this thread with issues ( on Bluetooth and Linux with Perdix2[TRASH]water computers )
I hope all the shearwaterattack dogs come I can take them down one ethereal/wireshark trace at a time on a BAD comms design for Data transfer in key emergency situations.
1.) access to divelog data during a medical emergency...
Divesoft Done!
Garmin Done!
Toiletwater perdix2 FAIL [requires a circuclown microsoft / apple and or a lollypop licking cell phone with a touchscreen]
2.) so when I dive and other dive remote or greyhulls the ability to pull data from the unit to medical is limited by OS ... and guess what they use ( UNIX ) the MS trash is for the paper pushers Apple the sales guys
Tech med is Linux Unix

This pretty much says it all. The rest of the world sees it differently.
One advantage of living in and clinging to the past is....wait, I forget.
( amazing how things can be taken out of context... spun ( kind of only thought the demons of the politics did this ) then again USCG Miami has to falsify those reports somehow )
one issue of a Position of power it tends to be abused and they think nobody will take a shot at them..

( amazing how things can be taken out of context... spun ( kind of only thought the demons of the politics did this ) then again USCG Miami has to falsify those reports somehow )
one issue of a Position of power it tends to be abused and they think nobody will take a shot at them..
I'm onboard with a bunch of what you say, but the assumptions you make about your audience...

Anyway, cheers!

The newer OS layouts are Cybersecurity loopholes... I work in Tech just as long as I have been diving... 38+ years..
so no issue pairing the bluetooth to the linux machine ( you did not need toe shearwater applicaitons OR pull the logs from a MS /Apple machine? )
I stopped dealing with Ms in 2009 I started with them in 1980 I stopped dealing with apple in 2012 started dealing with them in 1979... My ties to Unix goes back before my Novel days but gained stride with Sun in 1988 w NFS and NIS.
Today Cellphones I prefer the Watch cell by Tizen running simbian (linux) IOS ANDROID 16 years later it is just a spyware toy meets electronic leash...
The dove computer I am a late adopter got my first computer in October last year most dives I do are on slate and grease pen ( my tech diving plan your dive/dive your plan ) I just would dive my tables and run my runtime
Well, there is your solution. Ditch dive computer and go back to paper and pen. No one can hack those.

I'm onboard with a bunch of what you say, but the assumptions you make about your audience...

Anyway, cheers!
Appreciated... and some assumptions I made could be with haste that is a given.
I thought I gave a good expiation of what I was looking for and why maybe I should have elaborated more like I will in this post.

( Unix and Linux are my constraints ) MS MAC IOS DROID non starters same with middle VAR(middleware).
Do not get me wrong the middleware has value just not in our use case [not recreational as you have guessed]

Yes you can get perdix logs into subsurface on Linux [CONTEXT] after you pull them down on MS MAC IOS DROID and COPY THEM INTO LINUX
Just refer to the SDK and build a workaround.. shearwater does not even have a SDK
MS Apple IOS ANDROID have a SDK same for DiveSoft Garmin I used those tools for making other things work.

So the question is simple without a cellphone | Windows | Mac | a SDK from the manufacturer how do you perform with only the following tools::
---
1.) a Linux/Unix workstation running subsurface which has bluetooth support
2.) perdix 2
---
Simple question however no simple answer. Garmin works Divesoft works both in under 30 seconds
---
FACTS:::
1.) linux or Unix ( can see the perdix2 ) however once it is paired a second socket or [sub stream] is started that fails to connect :i had my tussle with the LEAD dev in vancouver last year she is a piece of work I cannot explain:
2.) subsurface can be told there is a perdix2 I can see the MAC addresses it fails to connect when it tries perdix and the shearwater code craps out a secondary path and dies ( mind you that is the only issue here )
====================
?????Device session drivers... is it a version difference etc etc... simple issue simple question simple answers?
Possibly Version of bluetooth the POS uses would be a good start however nobody knows
maybe if sheartoiletwater had a pairing cradle so data could be pulled without playing tetris it would be a solution do date there is no solution.
====================
ABSTRACT::
Medical Tech
When gear comes in we need to pull data quickly not eventually
I can pull a garmin datalog set in 30 seconds and have all dives
I can pull a divesoft in 25 seconds and have all dives
Now in under one minute I have all data needed to execute a ( re-compression plan ) not playing guessing games rectum to mouth with shear(toilet)water

CONCLUSION::
why AUTHORIZE the use of the perdix2 if we will be require extra steps and other crap just to pull off the dive logs ( taking more than 60 seconds)
Next Approval of other unknowns into our workflow when we can get Garmin/DIVESOFT and pull logs in 30 seconds vs playing bluetooth mission maybe possible and our workflow is solid 60 second execution.
when the divers need to come to medical and we (assume) their saturation vs using a guided [estimation] one reason why I push most gear off our teams and operations if we cannot get data quickly to medical team upon retrieval or evac of a distressed diver it is useless.

OPTIONAL PATHS::

When Shearwater support was asked for a SDK and they just vomited back the word SUBSURFACE and grammar action of [Use this]...
This is why a person would be frustrated especially when the device is doing non standard approaches to bluetooth session building.

There you go complete context [for government work]

Well, there is your solution. Ditch dive computer and go back to paper and pen. No one can hack those.
I cannot tell everyone else they have to learn to count ( remember the computers were made so the stupid and lazy could still survive)
However, I could just do what I planned on barring I got the sheartoiletwater answer on the boards as I have from the company BAN and remove the use of shear-toilet-water gear from all our Operations.
Simple solution as Garmin has no issue Divesoft has no issue
I can dump logs from the divesoft and the Garmin in under 30 seconds on site for medical. then the person is off to medical with data needed for medical treatment.
this is not a recreational clown use for flashy apps on platforms of trash ... and we cannot be having a lets dance moment in our operational workflow. ( same way those GUE take a strict approach to diving I have the same thought process on getting diving data to the medical staff ) KISS fast simple clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom