Sudal and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lindalea

Reaction score
Bottom Line -
Our 15 year old is going for OW cert this weekend... She has allergies and takes Sudal as needed, but ragweed (a real hot allegen) has explored here in Virginia...Can or should she take Sudal for the OW??? I have phone call into allergiest, but he is not a diver...

Lindalea

Hi Lindalea,

There are several forms of Sudal, all designed to treat the symptoms of colds & allergies. All contain both guaifenesin & pseudoephedrine. The former drug is intended to clear mucous & congestion (some questions about its effectiveness), while the latter is intended to relieve nasal congestion (effective).

As regards diving, guaifenesin should pose no problem. Taken as directed in OTC preparations, it's pretty benign stuff

The side effects of pseudoephedrine can include nervousness, restlessness, dizziness, difficulty sleeping & upset stomach. Luckily, when the drug is taken as directed in OTC preparations these are not terribly common & often pass rather quickly with usage. Very rarely, difficulty breathing, fast or irregular heartbeat, muscle weakness, tremors & hallucinations can occur. Given these possibilities, one would be well advised to give medications containing pseudoephedrine a trial run before engaging in any activity for which it could conceivably pose a risk.

I know of only one study that has examined the effects of pseudoephedrine on scuba diving & it reported nothing of concern. A number of divers take pseudoephedrine containing drugs like the various Sudafed compounds, a few seem to report any significant problem.

The input from the allergist should be useful even though s/he is not a diving doc. You may also inquire of DAN http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/ if you are so disposed.

Of course, your daughter should inform her OW instructor of all medications she is taking.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thank you for your quick and thorough response... I've heard from the allergist's office and was told no problem. As she takes Sudal only on a "as needed" basis and given that ragweed has exploded here, I just wanted all the facts before her OW.
Thank you again

Lindalea

Thanks to everyone,

It turned out to be a non-issue.....The ragweed behaved, no congestion, the weather was warm and overcast, and she did beautifully on her OW's. Not bad for an 83 lb size 00 kid.... Now to plan Crystal Springs during Christmas break...

Lindalea

Back
Top Bottom