Suffered DCS for the first time and terrified to dive again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Suunto Zoop dive computer. My understanding is that these are one of the more "conservative" computers.
I hope we can see your graph, and hear about how well hydrated you were? I have to pee twice before the boat leaves and once on each dive, but I like to stay well lubed.

Update:

Dive #1: 49 minutes, max depth 26.5, average depth 15.2 m
Dive #2: 53 minutes, max depth 24 m, average depth 14.6 m

I hope we can see your graph, and hear about how well hydrated you were? I have to pee twice before the boat leaves and once on each dive, but I like to stay well lubed.

I am having problems downloading the data, but I'll keep trying.

And admittedly I was probably dehydrated. A few breakfast coffees don't help.

Update:

Dive #1: 49 minutes, max depth 26.5, average depth 15.2 m
Dive #2: 53 minutes, max depth 24 m, average depth 14.6 m

Given a 50 SI, you are still over the limits.

Add to that your hydration level, exertion after or during the SI, over heating plus any other factors may have added to give you the hit.

Actually, he said "in Cozumel I was very cold" which can reduce circulation can't it? I don't know what DAN studies say about type II diabetics, I know that diving is not prohibited, but can't that reduce circulation, too - along with dehydration...??

I hope he can post the graph. Like to see the SS and final ascent.

Even using your average depths (rather than using the maximums as we do when we actually plan dives on tables) on the PADI dive table, your second dive put you into a deco obligation. In addition, when you are diving in stressful conditions, such as feeling cold, you should calculate your dives as if they were 4 meters deeper than they actually were. In other words, if we add 4 meters to each of your depth values, your average depths are about 19 meters rather than 15. Finding the NDL with these new values puts you well beyond the NDL, even on the first dive, even without using the maximum depths for a square profile. If you did only a safety stop on each of these dives, it's probable that the stop wasn't enough to offgas sufficiently. Can you say whether you had symptoms after the first dive? If so, the second dive would have made your hit even worse since it, too, would have been a deco dive once we add the additional depth to the calculation, due to your being cold.

jbird,
Can you describe your symptoms and time of onset?
DDM

How well do you know your computer? I asked my buddy is he heard the beeping the first time he went into Deco? "Yeah, what was that about?" We try to always leave the water in the green, but after going into deco - low yellow was all we could do.

Back
Top Bottom