Suggestions for a new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Petrel, which is not only a better-built computer without a stupid 'it leaks, your computer dies' USB plug, but one that comes with Shearwater's service and support reputation rather than Dive Rite's. If you want AI, maybe reconsider cave...were you seriously planning to put gas transmitters on each and every stage and deco bottle?

/thread
Caves are not the only thing that I dive and I was just asking about air integration later down the road. I have heard people say the same thing about Dive Rites customer service and I have never had a problem with any of their gear. Is Shearwater that much better?

Tickler why do you think your current computer is not meeting your dive needs?

Computers are just a tool. IMHO training is more important than cool computers. But if you really do need a new computer the Petrel is awesome.
I am still getting the training but I would much rather have the tools available to me to simplify planning and execution.

Choose the deco algorithm you want and then buy a computer which runs it. For me, that's the Petrel these days.
This is something I don't know much about. Could you point me to where I can learn about the different pros and cons of each algorithm?

Shearwater is the best in the business, it's that simple, Dive Rite isn't bad, but Shearwater does literally nothing but make dive computer, and they are very concerned about their reputation in the industry. The Nitek Q isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but prior to the Petrel 2 the only advantage you had was the digital compass which the Petrel now has. You're in $600 for the Nitek Q, and $700 for the Petrel, the screen is worth the extra $100.

AI down the road isn't going to benefit you, you'll get used to analog SPG's and realize that you don't benefit from it, especially in technical diving with that many bottles.

Re. the planning and what not, I don't use the Petrel for dive planning though you can, but deco software is much easier to plan dives than the UI on the Petrel, it is a shortcoming with their desktop software. Re. the algorithms the Petrel can be loaded with the two main algorithms, but it is important that you can use other software to plan and predict your dive profiles, many other computers, especially the Suunto's use their own proprietary algorithms which makes it a bit more restrictive, it isn't going to bend you, but it makes me a little nervous.

This is something I don't know much about. Could you point me to where I can learn about the different pros and cons of each algorithm?

i would start with Mark Powell's book Deco for Divers. Also Erik Baker's paper on gradient factors

If money is no object, the petrel is great. If money is a concern, spend $45 on multi-deco for your smart phone, use that to cut custom tables, and leave your puck in gauge mode.

How is your eyesight? I am giving up my Cochran for the petrel, based on readability. I also would not spend the money on the petrel until you have arrived at needing it. Who knows what the next year or two will bring. A new offering from shearwater perhaps? You will be stuck in gauge mode cutting tables for a while anyway, get software for the device of your choice and dive a lot.
YMMV
Eric

Petrel is the way to go imo! Unless you just want a brand new one you can get a used Petrel for $600-$650. I bought a Petrel a few weeks ago to back up my X1. I am now selling my X1 and purchasing a 2nd Petrel, damn good computer and very user friendly. Can't go wrong with a Predator either!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom