Suggestions for a trip over New Year's??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben962

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am trying to find a trip to go for New Year's. I cannot think of a better way to celebrate... so can anybody provide suggestions regarding which sites are good around that time of the year? or even better any recommendation of operators, groups forming, etc.?

Thanks!

Many people want to spend as little as possible, but for the price of the airfare (not cheap) the best bets are live aboards in exotic places! Pizza Heck out of Hotels and cheap dives from shore...it is common to dive 3 or 4 day dives and then an optional night dive if you still have the poop to paddle! The best "Bang for the Buck?" I wish I could say! That would mean I have done them all! I haven't. Best SO FAR, is Komodo Island on the Evening Star II. See them at www.divekomodo.com
Tell Greg Heighs that Joe in Japan sent you, and you will get a side-long look, a discount and free beer!

Ben962:
Hi all!

I am trying to find a trip to go for New Year's. I cannot think of a better way to celebrate... so can anybody provide suggestions regarding which sites are good around that time of the year? or even better any recommendation of operators, groups forming, etc.?

Thanks!

Pretty much depends on your budget, I can recommend Mozambique over new years though, great weather, great people and great diving :)

Ben962:
Hi all!

I tend to be on the cheap side... vacation days are plentiful, money isn't.

The favorite getaways are (giving away some secrets here)...

1. Palm Beach / Riveria Beach in Florida

Some great drift diving and wrecks in the gulf stream. Being from up north a full 3mm is fine. Do this over New Year's myself each year.

2. Crystal River area in Florida

Fresh water springs, in the high 60's. Great visability. Manatees, caverns... good places to get some additional training. Also Hal Watt's 40 Fathoms, Disney DiveQuest, Paradise Springs, Ginnie Springs are all within a short drive. Gotta do Devil's Den too!

3. Key Largo

10 dive package + night dive for about $236 from Silent World. Hungry Pelican motel is good, has continental bkfst which is fine on the way to the dive shop. Gotta eat at the Whaling House buffet and dive the Spiegel Grove (plus the Duane / Bibb if you are more advanced).

4. Fantasy Island -- Roatan

Airfare can be a bit pricey, but Fantasy Island is cheap and inclusive. 6 days of diving 3 dives + a night dive or two for about $600.

You can find them off of http://www.caribbeandivers.com/specials.htm

5. Treasure Island -- Bahamas

Closed due to hurricane damage but good place.

Dave

Ben962:
Hi all!

Thanks!

Middle Tennessee Scuba and Swim, a PADI 5-Star IDC Center, offers a "New Years Splash" trip to Bonaire with a private charter nonstop 4-hour flight from Nashville. Trip dates are Dec.26, 2004-Jan.2, 2005. Lots of fun, Underwater Treasure Hunt, photo contest, midnight New Years Eve dive - over $4,000 in prizes to be given away.
We already have about 100 signed up buy still have room on the plane. Go to www.mtss.net travel page for info.

Ben,

I just started looking myself. Key Largo was a little expensive for a long weekend. Ft. Lauderdale area was a little more reasonable. Let me know if you find anything decent and I will do the same.

Joe

Take a look at Deep Blue Resort in Utila they have a New Years special - Arrive Thurs 30th Dec 2004 - Depart Thurs 6th Jan 2005 (the dates are probably a little more flexible)
Was $1000 + 16% Honduran Tax = $1160 per person double occupancy all inclusive package
Now $850 inclusive of Tax, a saving of $310 per person
New Years Eve midnight dive plus glass of Champagne waiting on the boat when you come up after the dive. see www.deepblueutila.com

I have been to Deep Blue they are a good outfit but unfortubnately I cannot make this special. Have a good one.

I agree with Bubblesdame that Utila is a great option for a cheap getaway. Deep Blue resort doesn't seem that cheap though. Check out Utila Dive Centre and the Mango Inn. These guys have some great packages at really good prices. Have a look at www.utiladivecentre.com.

bubblesdame:
Take a look at Deep Blue Resort in Utila they have a New Years special - Arrive Thurs 30th Dec 2004 - Depart Thurs 6th Jan 2005 (the dates are probably a little more flexible)
Was $1000 + 16% Honduran Tax = $1160 per person double occupancy all inclusive package
Now $850 inclusive of Tax, a saving of $310 per person
New Years Eve midnight dive plus glass of Champagne waiting on the boat when you come up after the dive. see www.deepblueutila.com

I have been to Deep Blue they are a good outfit but unfortubnately I cannot make this special. Have a good one.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't make the New Year's trip, but I am booked to go the last week in March. Hopefully will see a whale shark.

diver567:
I agree with Bubblesdame that Utila is a great option for a cheap getaway. Deep Blue resort doesn't seem that cheap though. Check out Utila Dive Centre and the Mango Inn. These guys have some great packages at really good prices. Have a look at www.utiladivecentre.com.

Thanks for the suggestion Diver. I am going the last week in March. Have you been to the Mango Inn? Anything I should know?

Back
Top Bottom